Advice on Whey Protein

Options
2»

Replies

• erikfarrar
    erikfarrar Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition is an excellent product, and their flavors are usually top-notch. Other good brands I've enjoyed: Dymatize, Nature's Best/Isopure, Quest, Sparta Nutrition, MuscleTech, and BSN/Syntha-6.

Whey protein "isolates" will provide you with a purer protein (at a higher price point) than whey "concentrates" -- the latter often include slightly more fats and carbohydrates that haven't been removed. Keep in mind that some added fats and carbs aren't always a bad thing; they're also necessary for muscle growth in response to and exercise regimen, but it depends on what your macronutrient goals will allow. The Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard, I believe, is a blend of isolate and concentrate.

On the nutrition label, I typically look for at least 2 g protein per 10 calories in a good powder (e.g. 100 kcal / 20 g protein per serving or better). Try to get your protein from whole food sources when possible, but supplementation is good right after workouts especially.

As has been said, try to make your protein goal about 0.8 to 1.0 g per pound of body weight. For example, I'm 170 lb (~77kg) and so I'd try to get ~135-170 g of protein throughout my day.

-- FYI below, feel free to skip --

Another protein source to try (when you level up ;) ) is a casein powder at night. Whereas whey is a pretty quickly absorbed and soluble protein, casein is a slower-digesting protein that can provide a more gradual/sustained release for when you're not able to eat (e.g. when you're sleeping). There are some brands that sell whey/casein blends so you have a fast and slow uptake profile if you want both (I think Quest proteins are mostly blends; some other brands have individual products that are blends).

And just a side note about where these proteins come from: generally, most whey/casein powders are byproducts of the cheesemaking industry: most cheeses are made from the less-soluble casein proteins from milk, and the watery whey is typically a byproduct. This byproduct then gets processed to remove sugars, etc., dried, and powdered/flavored and sold as a supplement.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    39andfat wrote: »

Okay so it seems that you have this idea that your protein amount should be different while losing weight vs building muscle. Protein amount should be high regardless because you probably already have muscle in your body and whatever muscle you do have currently even if it's beneath layers of fat it's still muscle that exists, in other words you still need protein to KEEP the muscle you have in your body, so yes you need to UP the protein big time. I would even still lift weights, but aim to lose fat so yes you can go into a caloric deficit to lose the fat but while your doing that you can still work on your strength and preserve any muscle you do have so INCREASE THE PROTEIN!! lol. My fitness pal unfortunately doesn't design macros based on weight lifting or bodybuilding, it's based on general needs for health maintenance so it doesn't follow the 1 g per lb of body weight rule that most weight lifters follow. So get 170-180 grams of Protein per day even if you're losing weight or building muscle, more protein won't hurt, it could only honestly help. Hope this makes sense
  • Meelisv
    Meelisv Posts: 235 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    OP, getting back to your original question, if you think that as low protein intake as 100 g per day is enough for you, then there is no point to waste money on whey protein, since that amount is very easy to get from usual food. My current protein goal is set to 170 g (5.11, 185lbs) and I usually get that amount from my normal food without any problem.
    Protein powder is not some sort of magical ingredient that helps you build muscle, and should only be used as supplemental source in case you can't get enough protein from other sources.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The department of health suggests 100g of protein a day max as can cause osteoporosis.

Please post your source for this claim.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The department of health suggests 100g of protein a day max as can cause osteoporosis.

Please post your source for this claim.

I would love to see that since protein supports bone health and there are hundreds of studies supporting increased protein amounts.
  • junecox2018
    junecox2018 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are vegan you should check out bulk barns TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein)
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options

Here's a summary of myths about protein, one of them being the "too much protein causes osteoporosis." https://www.issaonline.edu/blog/index.cfm/2016/how-much-is-too-much-protein-myths-busted
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Stick with 90g then, if that's where you feel safe. But there's plenty of solid research showing that considerably higher levels than that are optimal for muscle gain. Good luck building any muscle on that level of protein intake unless you're a 100 lb. female.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    *kitten*, I’ve been eating 200-250g a day for almost a year! Wonder when my bones are going to shatter doing deadlifts? :'(

• Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options

this is from your link...2 grams per kilogram is a heck of a lot more than 100 g per day (for most people!)

People who exercise primarily with weights or body weight for more than one hour most days of the week may need up to 1.2 to 1.7 grams per kilogram of body weight.

Consuming more than 2 grams per kilogram of body weight each day is considered excessive.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    https://youtu.be/wC6aG4dlRZg

I would listen to Eric Helms, who is one of main researchers of protein metabolism.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

There are multiple factual errors in that article, the most glaring one being excess protein stored as fat. It is actually unlikely the body will store protein as fat. It is an physiologically expensive process.

Eric Helms info above is great. And there is always PubMed. I'd suggest both those sources over a generic "health" page like Healthline.

I would observe though, that if you'd like people to support you with answers, don't keep asking the same questions over again that have been answered and don't argue with the answers given. For me, I react to that by no having any desire to help and kind of feeling like, "Ok, genius, you have all the answers and are wasting my time. Do it your way." You have asked for help, gotten answers from knowledgeable people and then either asked again or challenged the answers. Not an effective strategy.

Edited to add: An article with study citations that explains why we will hardly ever store protein as fat. https://nutridylan.com/2013/06/07/can-excess-protein-be-stored-as-body-fat/
  • omar57
    omar57 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    how much do you weigh?
  • 39andfat
    39andfat Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    178lbs
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    omar57 wrote: »
    how much do you weigh?

This was disclosed in the 5th post in the thread. psulemon subsequently made a good recommendation. Did you read the thread before asking?
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

If you want to build muscle, I don't think 100 g of protein a day is enough for that....