New to walking - Day 1 - Need to share

Options
I am very, very unfit, 54 years old, a couple of stone overweight (but working on it and my weight is coming down slowly) and have a couple of health issues that give me an excuse to not exercise (mechanical heart valve and high BP). Doc says to use my common sense as far as exercise goes, which until now has meant I don't exercise at all..... After losing a few pounds I felt as though I'd like to try a bit of Couch to 5k. I live next to a park so off I went with my iphone and running app - and discovered I can trot for about 20 seconds before I feel like bursting. Crikey, never realised I was SO bad. However, the upside is that it made me realise that I have to do SOMETHING to get fitter and I figured it would involve walking initially, rather than jogging. Yesterday I'm in Waterstones and I saw a book "Run Fat B!tch Run" which sort of called to me. A revelation. I share the same sense of humour as the writer and the book has lots of very simple common sense, so bought it and read it the same day. This evening I've been out for a brisk-ish 75 minute walk accompanied by hubby (a runner and regular gym goer). The best bit of advice from the writer (Ruth Field) that kept going through my head was that I wasn't supposed to enjoy the walk, the point is to enjoy the way I feel after the walk. The walk was sweaty and there were too many hills for my liking (hubby says they're not hills they're gentle inclines....) Anyway, here I am back home and feeling very virtuous so thought I'd share. That's all really.

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,420 Member
    Options
    Awesome-good for you!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    great bit of advice about enjoying how we feel AFTER we exercise! it is such a common excuse/miconception.
  • twinkleton
    twinkleton Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That made me laugh....go girl, walking is fab, I walked a marathon in June :smile:
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    NOT ENJOY YOUR WALK????? Why the heck not? I will admit, in the beginning it wasn't all that pleasant starting but after a week I got into it and then HERE I GOOOOOOOOOOOO---Now I walk with my iPOD in my ears and I swear I solve world problems on my walks now!! I do 5 miles a day or I get restless.
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    good for you and just keep moving and you'll do great!