Quickly Made Foods to Prevent Eating Out? Suggestions?

Options
Hi guys! I have had a very difficult time keeping on track with my diet. When I fall off the wagon, I reaaally fall off. The issue: when I’m really hungry/in a rush/don’t have energy to cook up a storm, I turn to take out veggie burgers or frozen foods.

My list of easy (healthy) foods are: baked sweet potato, an avocado, or oatmeal. Any other tips or suggestions? I have little inspiration trying to think of healthy alternatives during these times.

Thanks!!

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Reframe, to reduce the pressure. Plan and schedule your meals in advance, do the planning when you are calm and not in a rush. Think through what you like, and buy ingredients for that, and pick a time to cook when you have time and energy. Cooking doesn't have to be elaborate or time consuming, not everything need heating and thus doesn't qualify as "cooking" - you can think about food preparation as assembling, if you like. Likewise, don't think about "healthy" foods, think about food you like.
  • TynaBaby17
    TynaBaby17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Meal Prep is a great solution to not having a lot of time for cooking during the week! And it can be as easy or as detailed as you want!

Every Sunday I cook up about 4-5 chicken breasts. I cut them in half because I don't eat a whole lot of chicken in each sitting. You can spice them up with whatever seasoning or rub you want! I usually do pesto, and then some kind of garlic rosemary spices! Then throughout the week you have chicken already cooked and ready to heat up and put in a wrap, salad or a sandwhich (faster options), or eat with a baked potato and some steamed veggies, in a burrito bowl with beans, in a rice bowl with brown rice or however! Then throughout the week I just make the sides, like rice or potato or veggies and my total dinner cook time everyday is usually around 45 minutes!

If you want to you can even prep the potatoes and veggies too and then all you have to do is heat things up everyday!

Another great piece of advice is to eat healthy foods you actually LIKE to eat! I could go to the store and by tons and tons of kale becasue its super good for me, but I'll never eat it because I HATE kale! So get healthy stuff you actually WANT to eat! Peanut butter, avacado, tomato, potatos, beans, turkey, almonds, whole wheat or veggie pasta!

Feel free to add me and good luck! :smiley:
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Meal prep! I just make everything on Sunday, enough to last my fiance and I the rest of the week. We just pull meals out of the fridge and microwave.

Here are some of my faves:
    - Teriyaki chicken with fried rice and steamed broccoli
    - Butter chicken with spiced basmati rice and roasted butternut squash
    - Chili
    - Beef stew
    - Soup (lots of different kinds)
    - Spinach, ham and cheese quiche
    - Mason jar salads
    - Greek yogurt bowl with berries, honey and granola

I don't skimp on flavour and I choose good recipes, so all the dishes I make are freaking delicious (not to toot my own horn) so I don't miss eating out much. We might eat fast food/restaurant food once or twice a month.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Eggs- boiled, scrambled, fried, etc
    Zucchini noodles cook in a few minutes or can be eaten raw
    Pasta- combine with vegetables, cheese, beans or meat
    Frozen vegetables cook quickly
    Salad
    Grilled sandwich
    Stir fry
    Tacos, sloppy joes
    Pizza made with tortilla, pita bread, garlic bread crust
    Leftovers- make enough for more than 1 meal and freeze in indivudual portions. Soup is easy to do this with. You can also pre-cook meats, beans to add to dishes or precut vegetables.
  • Janice6543
    Janice6543 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Cook up some chicken, beans, quinoa, hard boiled eggs and roast some veggies on the weekend. Turn into a burrito wrap with cheese and salsa or eat minus the wrap with your favorite low calorie sauce (BBQ, salsa, soy, teryaki etc). Or turn into a Tex Mex style salad with lettuce as your base.

My other favorite is Greek yogurt over frozen berries with raisin bran or similar on top. No reason why you can't eat this for dinner!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,943 Member
    Options
    A burger (veggie or otherwise) doesn't have to mean fries.

Try carrot and celery sticks with it. Or corn chips, or pretzels, or cucumber, or - you get the idea.

Sounds like you're dividing food into "good" or "bad" though - and that won't end well.

Eat what you like, get enough vegetables and fats and protein and relax!

Other than that, yeah, meal prep.

I have about twenty full meals I can make in 30 minutes or less, you just have to build your list.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I second a lot of other people on here, meal prep is a life saver. For breakfast I’ll pre-make Greek yogurt with fruit and cinnamon and put my dry toppings in little containers so they’re ready to go. For lunch I’ll do tuna a lot of the time with hummus mixed in and eat that with some vegetables. And for dinner I’ll cook a batch of tilapia or chicken and eat that through the week with baked frozen vegetables since I get out of work late and don’t feel like cooking (and I don’t want to be tempted to pick up fast food). And I weigh out all my snacks for the week and put them in little baggies, like trail mix and nuts, then have a fruit to go with that. Feel free to add me, you might get some ideas.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Chicken nuggets made with panko crumbs and parmesan cheese.

I do stir fries often. Cut up meat before work. Toss in soy sauce, ginger, green onion. Stick is back in the fridge. When I get home from work I have ready marinated meat. I can work with fresh or frozen veggies.
    https://lifehacker.com/make-foolproof-stir-fry-dishes-with-this-simple-formula-1755180240
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I've found both full fat cottage cheese & greek yogurt (fat free or 2% to whole depending on what macro goals are) to be quite versatile for manipulating macros & fast/little-no prep options. If you are more into carbohydrates, these foods are easy to add in berries, oats/cereals/grains, even add in fibers; if you are into a higher fat diet, the whole foods (full fat) versions are good options (if needed, you can even add various nuts, legumes, MCT, etc. for more fat).

Both are good bases to start with macro-wise for a meal-replacement option: adequate protein, adequate fat (based on which version), & a few carbohydrate (easy to up this one).
    *Main downside is refrigeration
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You know, I used to order out a lot because, like you described, "The issue: when I’m really hungry/in a rush/don’t have energy to cook up a storm, I turn to take out veggie burgers or frozen foods." ... and then I woke up.

The reality is that it took longer to order out and either go pick it up or wait to have it delivered than it did to cook something quickly at home, or to pull something out of the pantry, refrigerator, or freezer and zap what needed cooking in the microwave. Or chop up some vegetables and lightly cook them in a skillet and plop in a couple of eggs to make a meal.

Yes, sometimes I had to drink a glass of water or milk to hold me over that 10 to 20 minutes it took to cook ... or to chomp on a celery stalk or carrot.

PS ... most of my meals are cooked in under 30 minutes. When I have the inclination and the time I cook up something that takes a couple of hours or longer and divide it up into servings to store in the fridge or freezer to reheat as needed. ...
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Seconding the question about why you feel takeout veggie burgers and frozen meals are problematic for you?

Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. Finding foods that you enjoy, that provide nutrients, are satiating, and fit with your lifestyle; that enable you to maintain a calorie deficit while losing is very important. If convenience foods like takeout and frozen meals provide those things, and I don’t see why they couldn’t, then what’s the problem?

Fair point, but I think it comes down to self control for me. Veggie burgers usually = french fries and makes me a lot hungrier than usual the next day. I try my best to eat clean and avoid frozen foods. Usually frozen food = ketchup = more sugar and more cravings. I also have a hard time portioning these types of food and limiting myself.

It’s possible I’m a bit too strict on myself, but I’m working towards a PBD which is why I try to avoid them so much. I’ve done plenty of research about frozen foods and prefer to avoid them when I can. Weight loss is less my goal than being healthy is I suppose. Thanks for your comment!

When I eat something like a veggie burger at home, I eat the "burger" (patty) itself with a pile of steamed veggies. I get them from the deli section of the supermarket or other markets and they are quite tasty just on their own.

Also with frozen foods, I have them as-is (no extra toppings) with a side of steamed veggies. Frozen meals come in a single serving with the calorie count on the package, and there is a huge variety to choose from.

For example: https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/browse/freezer/frozen-meals/healthy-frozen-meals

We just simply don't buy frozen French fries so we aren't even remotely tempted to make them to go along with the meal.

Anyway, if you'd rather not go that route, there are a whole lot of other options out there ... go to the fruit and veg section of your grocery store and start trying different things. :)
  • Lizardybits
    Lizardybits Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Would it help to stock your fridge with hard-boiled eggs? Or your freezer with frozen veggies that you can then quickly cook? I think that eating healthy starts at the grocery store - and there are definitely healthier options that are still fast. Banana and peanut butter comes to mind. Or my personal weird favorite: a microwave-baked potato with salsa and a sprinkling of cheese (no butter, no sour cream, and no need for salt). When I had more energy I used to make my own veggie burgers. I controlled what went into them, so I knew how healthy they were, and since they didn't usually hold together well anyhow I had no problem eating them over rice, dark green veggies, or couscous.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,835 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Or my personal weird favorite: a microwave-baked potato with salsa and a sprinkling of cheese (no butter, no sour cream, and no need for salt).

Not weird at all. Here in Australia, there's a "fast food" chain that sells baked potatoes with toppings of your choice on them.
    https://spudbar.com.au/#menu

Prior to my first visit to Australia, I was under the mistaken impression that baked potatoes only came with butter, sour cream (which I detest), and salt.

I went to one of these potato bars, and it was a whole new world for me! Now my husband and I have baked potatoes with a bit of cheese and garlic, topped with a flavoured tuna or chicken, and salad or diced tomato or something. That's among my favourite meals. :)

And hard boiled eggs on wholegrain toast is good too, especially with a side salad or sliced tomatoes or something.