Options
dwood1231
dwood1231 Posts: 275 Member
Any suggestions for good low cal bread?

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Natures Own butterbread is 70 cal a slice. Trader Joe's sprouted 7 grains bread is 60 calories. Both are different and pretty tasty, but taste is subjective.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Some of the Keto or Paleo or Atkins breads are a little lower in calories because they use coconut or almond flour instead of wheat four.
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Aunt Millie's has a line of breads that are lower in calories.
    https://www.auntmillies.com/products/breads/healthy-goodness
    I usually get the multi-grain or the whole wheat bread. It's 50-60 calories per slice. The taste is like normal bread. Maybe a little lighter in texture, but that's not always a bad thing for sandwiches. I haven't tried the 35 calorie "light" breads yet.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Dave's has a delicious 60 cal/slice bread. I forget what it's actually called but it has seeds n stuff so if you like a texture-y bread, this is good. I alternate between that and Angelic Bakery sprouted grain bread, also 60 cal/slice.

"A smaller amount of anything has fewer calories" is so true ... I find it more satisfying to make a sandwich with 2 slices of one of the above breads than a half sandwich with one slice of thicker bread. To each (all?) their own :)
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I like the Sarah Lee delightful wheat bread. 90 cal for two slices. Good protein and fiber too
  • annie2775
    annie2775 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Dave’s bread. It tastes really good. Way better than regular bread. You can find it at regular grocery stores.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,976 Member
    Options
    I actually go with a higher quality, higher calorie bread. Then I might have one or two pieces now and then ... and I'm good.

When I've got with the lower calorie stuff, I've ended up wanting to eat more.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    dwood1231 wrote: »
    Any suggestions for good low cal bread?

I would think every location has different bread. Would be difficult to make a recommendation on this. Just record the calories and be sure it all fits into your daily allowance.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Dave's has a delicious 60 cal/slice bread. I forget what it's actually called but it has seeds n stuff so if you like a texture-y bread, this is good. I alternate between that and Angelic Bakery sprouted grain bread, also 60 cal/slice.

"A smaller amount of anything has fewer calories" is so true ... I find it more satisfying to make a sandwich with 2 slices of one of the above breads than a half sandwich with one slice of thicker bread. To each (all?) their own :)

Dave's Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grains, Thin Sliced. 60 calories per slice. They also make a thin sliced one called Powerseed, which is 70 grams per slice and even more delicious.

It's a daily staple in our house.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sara Lee or Natures Own Light.
  • vmlabute
    vmlabute Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ezekiel Sprouted Bread
    80 cal
    0.5 total fat
    3g fiber
    15g carb
    4g protein
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Personal preference on how you choose to use your calorie allotment.
    I use the sandwich thins (there are several different brands) for about 90 calories. I also like the low calorie tortilla and sandwich wraps.
    Sometimes a good quality multigrain bread and choose an open face sandwich with only 1 slice of bread.
  • saragd012
    saragd012 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I go for fresh bakery bread if I'm only eating one piece, but for sandwiches I love Arnold Sandwich Thins. My spouse prefers the Honey Wheat one and I prefer the Flax and Fiber one, they are 100 calories for two thin slices and make a perfect sized sandwich for our tastes. Also often I'll swap out bread for an english muffin, especially for "open faced" sandwiches.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Nature's own life honey wheat is 40 cal/slice. I can't tell that it tastes much different that their regular honey wheat.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own Whole Wheat is about 60 calories per slice.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Commercially produced small and thin bread is going to be the lowest calorie bread.

That will make you sad.

Commercially produced full size sandwich bread is 70 calories per slice. Joy ensues.