Keto Newbie, Send Help

Options
Hello! Soooo I've been "trying" to lose weight for about five or six years and haven't seemed to do anything that's been sustainable or terribly effective. Today I'm starting a ketogenic lifestyle and would appreciate any and all help/friends on the same journey!

Stats as of right now:

Height: 5'8"
Weight: 255
Goal Weight: 145

Replies

• kristinrachelle21
    kristinrachelle21 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Started Keto about a month ago, also trying to lose the weight for a few years but unsuccessfully, or not long term anyway. So far, Keto has been the easiest for me to stick with and not feel like I’m depriving myself. Would love to be buddies!
    My current stats:
    31 yrs
    Also 5’8”
    271 lbs (10.6 less than when I started 2/20)
    Goal 170

Let’s do this! Good luck!!
  • jac_hates_carbs
    jac_hates_carbs Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh we have such similiar stats! Let's for sure be friends! So you're seeing positive results with keto? I'm bad at all the macro stuff
  • mkanp
    mkanp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    just starting out myself.
    49 yrs - turning 50 in a few months :(
    231 lbs
    5'1"
    goal: 140
  • wld1953
    wld1953 Posts: 1 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am also new to keto. Hoping that it will work for me! I am 65 yr. old, 4'11", 193 lbs., type 2 diabetic. SO hoping this plan will work for me! Short term goal for weight loss would be 160. Long term: 130. Also hope to bring my A1c down.
  • MsParker2010
    MsParker2010 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm looking to start my keto journey, I'm
    5'6
    Goal: 180
  • LifeOnTop24
    LifeOnTop24 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Keto for three and half months. I have lost 104.4 pounds total. I don’t mind helping in anyway I possibly can. Just a heads up my Keto plan is considerably stricter than what I see most others doing, so if you’re looking for a more relaxed version of Keto I may not be your guy. The foods are great though I’m always full I can’t remember the last time I felt hungry, and have managed to completely eliminate fast food and soda since starting this program without any issues. Big key to remember with getting into Ketosis and staying in Ketosis is staying hydrated get your water in daily always have some with you. It will help in flushing any toxins and producing more Ketones as well!
  • sweethang980
    sweethang980 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I’m getting back on keto started yesterday! I was on it for two months and lost 34 lbs and am ready to start again and lose more!! I wanted top see what everyone set their macros at. I know it’s 5% carbs 25%protein and 70% fats but the totals on this app the carbs come out to 24g so I’m a bit confused if that’s too high because most say keep at 20g a day for weight loss. Any thoughts?

Best of luck to everyone on their keto journey!
  • eli00028
    eli00028 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I started 2 months ago on keto and have lost 20lbs as of today- total 100 as of today lol. Atkins was easier but I decided to try something new and so far it’s working i hope I can keep this lifestyle. Sometimes hard when Your always surrounded by goodies at work n school.
  • cbcj02
    cbcj02 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi all!! I started "The Shepherd Code" yesterday! It's a Biblically based keto diet! I've lost 1 lb!! Yay lol!! In all seriousness, how on this app do we do keto? I see calorie counting but nothing really in reference to macros or a keto lifestyle.
    Female
    4'11"
    Goal 120
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I was doing keto for a while and it worked well, I would definitely do it again. I took off around 70lbs in about 3 months, but I also started well over 400 bs so it was pretty easy to shave off weight quickly at 1500-1600 calories a day. You just get in there and do it.

Find an eating schedule that works best for you. If you want bigger meals, eat 1 or 2 meals a day. One thing that kept me from being hungry was my "keto coffee. " I'd add organic coconut oil, kerrygold grassfed butter, and a couple of 0 calorie sweeteners in with some folgers instant coffee in about 20 oz of water and I'd nurse 3 of those each day. Worked like a charm.

Keep a multi-vitamin, magnesium, and some potassium on hand though... you may need it daily.

Depending on your caloric deficit you might want to be easy on the exercise, like 15 or 20 minutes a day. I got up to 45 minutes and then I stalled out for like 3 weeks with no weight change at all.

I had to take like a week or two off and try to hit maintenance calories, then I started losing again after I went back into a caloric deficit.

Keto isn't a magic bullet, it's just a way a lot of folks find easier to stay in a deficit. Best of luck to ya.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    If you struggle with hunger whilst cutting, the keto diet may help, if not I would always advise a balanced macro diet.

The hunger aspect of any diet is just something you have to deal with, as the calories drop the body tries harder to trick you into eating carbs.

I say carbs because this is the bodies chosen form of energy, after all no one ever craves a large bowl of salad when they are hungry.

This is for reference only and just to point out that I would never advise anyone to try keto unless it's something they wanted to do, personally I feel a balanced macro diet is the better option.

Summary

In ketogenic studies, subjects only had to restrict carbohydrates, and did not need to count calories. On average, they ate about 600 kcal less than their regular diet (ad libitum reduction)

When you go on a weight loss diet, you typically feel hungrier. Surprisingly, the ketogenic diet does not seem to follow this trend. In most studies, people felt less hungry on keto.

5 studies found that keto was superior to an alternative diet. 3 studies found no difference between groups. One study (Soenen 2012 in the graph) suggested that a low carb diet (80 g) might be superior to keto. With the data currently available, the ketogenic diet seems superior for reducing hunger.

Why is keto effective at reducing hunger and calories?

We could not identify a single reason, so here is a list of several:

Protein is the most satiating macronutrient. People on the ketogenic diet typically eat more protein than they normally do.

Ketones could reduce hunger. However, the data on this is still in its infancy.

Liquid calories are calorie dense and not very satiating. You can hardly drink sodas and juices on keto, so you get to avoid liquid calories. The food you eat will be more satiating and filling.

The diet is simple. Several research teams speculate that the simplicity of the diet helps reduce hunger and caloric intake.

Very low energy diets can reduce hunger and increase satiety. They are typically less than 800 kcal per day, and are almost always ketogenic.

You do not need to count calories. It might be easier to eat until you’re full instead of having to think about calories. Most of the ketogenic studies were ad libitum, meaning that people ate as much as they wanted. Obviously, they had to restrict foods rich in carbs to be in ketosis.

How the Ketogenic Diet Affects Hunger (Research Review)
    Authors
    Adam Tzur (Sci-Fit on FB),
    Brandon Roberts (FB, Researchgate, The Strength Guys)
    Richard Nijholt (FB)

Reviewed by
    Michael Hull (FB, Researchgate, Examine.com)
    Brad Dieter (FB, Researchgate, Science Driven Nutrition)
    Vegard Lysne (FB, Researchgate)
    Grant Tinsley (FB, Researchgate, website)
    Alan Aragon (FB, Researchgate, Research Review)
    Zad Chow (FB, Examine.com)

Contributions by
    David Nolan (FB, Synapse Performance)

Length: ~4000 words
    Published: 14.03.2018 (updated: 16.03.2018)

Oh yeah, you might want to buy some gum or mints too!
    Keto-Breath. One of the results of cutting carbohydrates in your diet is that your body starts to use more fat for energy. This process generates molecules called ketones. One type of ketone, acetone, tends to be excreted both in the urine and the breath.