My Weight Trend

Options
I am trying to execute a lean bulk this time and have been sticking well to my calorie increase (2700-2750 daily). I count extremely accurately (I weight everything and log before eating), except for maybe 1 or 2 (MAX) meals a week where it becomes impossible to count (meals with SO or family usually). I have been working out 5 days a week and do all of the big lifts (Squats, DL, Bench, Rows), where I am making very very slow progress (but progress nonetheless).

However, I am unsure if my calories are actually high enough. I have always maintained somewhere between 2300 (where I might lose weight quite slowly but somewhat measurably over time) and 2500 calories for the past few years. So, I thought hitting 2700 daily would be perfect for me. I jumped up to 138-139 rather quickly (within about a week of increasing). I attributed most of this initial jump to be water weight. Since then, my weight gain has been non-existent (see the graph). I am confused because 2700 shouldn't be my maintenance, but I am unsure if the rate is correct or if I need to up calories. pecbx64no4lj.png

Replies

• dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Bump for feedback
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but it looks like you need to up your calories.
  • andreaen
    andreaen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Are you male or female? If you are a female this could be your monthly cycle doing its thing. Most people will lose weight the first week or two of their cycle. Otherwise, it might actually be your metabolism being very adaptive and you might need more food. You might unconsciously move more or expend more energy through heat, so then you'll get to have another piece of chocolate every day :)
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm male. So I guess it does look like maintenance. If I were to stay at this slight elevation where increased movement and heat are dissipating excess calories will I eventually begin to build steadily over time?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,732 Member
    Options
    It would be a better recomp position than your previous one but not an actual bulk.

You might want to give it a couple of weeks to be sure or just increase a little bit (~150)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would add another 300-400 calories. You seem to be in maintenance.
  • avadahm
    avadahm Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I would add. I had the same problem for a couple of months where I was “over” my predicted maintenance by 100-150 but it was more my realistic maintenance.
  • tanasta2
    tanasta2 Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am currently maintaining at 160 lbs with 3500 calories, fairly active, I lift heavy and play basketball 3-4 times a week. My family and relatives are all naturally lean, so I have a fast metabolism. So you might not need this much. But I think you might wanna at least up the calorie count to 3000 and see how you progress in a couple weeks or so.