Exercises- cardio for a sensitive back

Options
Hi, I want to know what exercises can i do that wont hurt my back? Is running helpful or should i just stick to brisk walk? I had sprained my lower back , which has recovered after 4 days of rest. I want to be careful and still be active. My goal is to lose 6-7 kgs. Though iv been eating right, what sort of physical activity can i do without hurting my back? Its fine now, just dont want to injure it again

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    You didn't say how you injured your back so what I am about to suggest might or might not be useful. Working on strengthening your core might be something to add in to your routine to reduce the likelihood of further back issues. Planks, side planks and bird dogs come to mind.

Brisk walking is great, adding an incline helps with the calories-out part. Running burns more calories than walking per mile, however is much harder on joints so an ease-in program would be the way to go here. Whether or not running would aggravate your back depends on what, exactly, is going on with your back, and that's something a medical professional could be helpful with :)

If you have access to cardio equipment, many folks find an elliptical machine to be easier on joints.
  • F_Jan
    F_Jan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    thanks! I sprained my back when i bent down to pick something heavy . I had over exerted the previous day by working out for an hour (my usual is 30 mins) . it healed after 3 days of bed rest