Running and weight gain

Options
I've started running a mile 5days a week. I've been doing this for the past 3 weeks. And in that time I have not lost a single pound..instead I've gained a pound. So what am I doing wrong? I'm nursing a 5 1/2mo. and had issues with my milk supply so I've just been following my hunger, which I think keeps my cals around 2,000.

Has anyone else had this happen when beginning a running routine? I'm going to try logging my cals more faithfully, but I was curious if anyone else had this problem. My husband says I look better, so maybe I should just stop watching the scales. I'm only 5 pounds away from my normal weight of 120.

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    When you start doing something more rigourous than you are used to, your muscles will store more water to heal. That may all you are seeing. Also, your body gets used to routines. Do something different each day and see if that helps.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    definitely consider water retention, and probably a little muscle gain. Make sure you're breaking up those 5 days so they're not all consecutive (maybe run mon, tue, take wed off, run thur, fri, take sat off). It's important to give your body recovery time, especially when it's already under a lot of demand from your sweet baby :)
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, water retension is an issue with new exercise programs. Also, women who are nursing or were recently nursing also have different metabolic things going on than normal. That could also play a factor.
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    definitely consider water retention, and probably a little muscle gain. Make sure you're breaking up those 5 days so they're not all consecutive (maybe run mon, tue, take wed off, run thur, fri, take sat off). It's important to give your body recovery time, especially when it's already under a lot of demand from your sweet baby :)

I usually run Monday through Friday, sometimes Saturday, and then take Sundays off. Is this too much? I'm not sore anymore, so I figured it wasn't too much too often.
  • futuredispatchhottie911
    Options
    I am having the same issue but I actually use the stationary bike around 6-7 days a week and two times a day. For some reason I gained 4 pounds I just don't understand. I was doing so good and all of a sudden a gain which just makes me want to throw in the towel. Hold on everyone I am not going to but it still hurts.
  • kaygaither
    kaygaither Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have been a runner off and on for years. Every time I start running I gain weight at first. I don't have any scientific answers for that but it happens. I know that my weight at 23 % fat ( or there about) and the same weight at 17-18% fat looks and feels a lot different. My goal is to lose body fat. I tell myself when I run that each day I run I might be losing 1/100 of 1% of body fat. I know that it usually takes about 3 months before I start seeing a change in the scale or the way my clothes fit. It is discouraging at first but stick with it. I know that I didn't get out of shape in just three months so it is reasonable that I won't get in shape in less than that. Good luck!!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    sorry to say but 1 mile doesnt burn anything. Plus running the same mile over and over makes you even better at it (even though you may not think so) so you burn even less.
    Try running intervals or spurts. running longer, running hills etc etc..
    Breastfeeding doesnt help either especially since you are so close to your goal.
    Re-eval your goal weight as well. Maybe its to low?
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Since the begining of this year when I started consistantly running I have been consistantly losing 1 pound per week. Now I also do a ton of other forms of exercise than just running, and I watch my calories to a T, but all I can say is no, I have not had a weight gain due to running.