Awful post concussion

Options
Hi all. About 5 years ago I lost a ton of weight and have kept it off, usually describing myself as small. I hung out at around 115 for a long time and fell in love with running. I’ve ran many races and always stay in shape. This past October I had a severe concussion with post concussion syndrome. Needless to say I’m still miserable. I’ve gained 30 pounds, cannot run, and am very depressed. I’m not used to being so sedentary but the migraine headaches are way too powerful. I cannot even function without a full nights sleep. Even 6 months later I can’t even think about running without getting headache. They are very strong and do not go away, usually starting from the computer screen, my job, or being busy. Wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and how long it took to recover. Thank you.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,489 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I got off the Stairmaster and on the recumbent bike. Exercise seemed to help me. My headaches were of the dull ache variety. Getting blood pumping was a good thing I think. I initially stopped the Stairmaster because of dizziness. I was just about back to normal after 6 months.

Do you keep a food diary? Maybe calculate your calories to maintain where you are and see how it goes. You can try to stop digging a hole for yourself. Fight back.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I had post concussion syndrome after a care wreck. I still have headaches. The computer at work was the worst for me. I went on notriptyline for them because I was so desperate. It helped a lot. I took it for a few months and stopped. Even after quiting the med the headaches were pretty good for a while. When they started getting worse again I went back on the med. Sorry, it will get better.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You've probably already tried these, but does it help at all to wear sunglasses for the computer (not polarized lol)? Gray works best for ne when I'm fighting migraines. You can get a prescription for that if workplace tries to argue. Sometimes if you can also convince someone at work to unscrew the bulb over your workstation that helps too.
  • miss_kris_
    miss_kris_ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi thanks for your replies. I try my best to use the computer in small intervals but it’s hard and I do bring sun glasses to meetings. I just do not feel the headaches getting any better at all. Planning on trying acupuncture. Also - I will fight back. I’m usually great with pain of roughing it out but these headaches just have me defeated. I plan to try more walking and yes maybe stair master. Thank you.
  • dknight36
    dknight36 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Sorry you have to deal with that. I hope you find a solution soon.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Oh man, that sounds like it's awful. I'm sorry your dealing with this