If type 2 diabetic, is it okay to eat a sugary "cheat-meal" once a week (i.e. McDonald's McFlurry)?

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    If you lead a question with a medical qualifier, you yourself are indicating that you should ask your doctor.
  • jasondjulian
    jasondjulian Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    1houndgal wrote: »
    I wouldn't drink my calories in a sugar laden soda pop. There is no nutrition whatsoever in a soda.

Have you ever watched "My 600 Pound Life", and seen how many of these super morbid obese patients have lots of sugary pops and juices around them to drink?

Many are bed bound by their weight, and still they take in enormous amounts of calories in their beverages along with their poor food choices.

Every bite and every sip, is like a hit to a drug addict.

Drinking your sugar day in and day out leads to no good as far as most peoples health goes.

Eating a piece of fruit is a better choice for your mind and body. Save the pop for a hypoglycemic attack.

I know a lady at my son's scout pack that brings a 2 liter of Mountain Dew (or cheap generic) with her every week.. 45 mins in and that sucker is bone dry. 1000 calories or so gone in less than an hour. Not the way I'd do it.. but some people just don't care I guess. Sad thing is this lady, while nice and pleasant, walks 3ft and is out of breath like she climbed Mt. Everest... sad.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Is it really worth it to you?
    All about choices and if it may be worth any consequences.
    All the hard work you are putting in resulting in better health decisions.
    Totally up to you and your health care professional.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    neely47 wrote: »
    Let's say for the rest of the week, the diet is on point and healthy (low carbs, high protein, lots of veggies, etc), and the diabetic is exercising regularly. Is it okay to have one "cheat meal" per week? For example, a McDonald's Mcflurry, or a can of soda, or white rice/pasta,, etc just once a week as a "reward"?

i have type 2 diabetes if your really craving one have a small mcflurry but skip the pop or have a diet soda. we don't have to give up everything we just need smaller amounts and exercise
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide how important your health is to you.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    You can always just have a LITTLE bit of a McFlurry. Nothing wrong with a little bit of a taste and not go overboard. I find that if I savor, four good bites really can be enough. Share with a friend.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    You can always just have a LITTLE bit of a McFlurry. Nothing wrong with a little bit of a taste and not go overboard. I find that if I savor, four good bites really can be enough. Share with a friend.

When DH has Munchies, I ask for one Cheeto. It is amazing how satisfying just getting the taste is, while still meeting my goals!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I'll agree with the others if it's sugar your craving make a strawberry blueberry smoothie with a little whey protein powder very satisfying. That's what I had for breakfast this morning Yummy to boot.
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Only your doctor and you know what’s going to work for you.

I have been Type 2 for around 25 years. I don’t take any medications for it. I haven’t always taken the best care of myself but I have learned where my limits are. I still eat “bad” foods. Personally, I’d have the ice cream. I’d stay away from the sugary soda (I just don’t like full sugar pop). I think occasional treats are good.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Talk to you doc about getting a referral to a registered dietician for diabetes education. In diabetes education, they teach you how to work in an occasional sugary dessert.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Maybe Canadian nurses are tougher. We were taught No Exceptions. My theory is that nurses spend more time than doctors cleaning up the effects of diabetic neuropathy.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Maybe Canadian nurses are tougher. We were taught No Exceptions. My theory is that nurses spend more time than doctors cleaning up the effects of diabetic neuropathy.

Our nutrition class emphasized the max carbs per meal, then suggested net carbs on some situations, then said not to worry about the carbs in protein or veggies.

Even the glucose monitoring was only about what to do when you are dangerously high or low, rather than how to use the information in between.