Should I allow extra calories on museum days?

Options
So my family and I are going to the science museum in Minnesota this Saturday. I’m a nurse who works in a clinic so I have my activity level set to sedentary. For days like this coming Saturday or times that we will be going to the zoo, should I be allowing myself some extra calories? I know walking doesn’t burn that much so maybe like 200 at most? What do you all do for these days?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    First, I have never met a nurse who considers herself sedentary before. Are you sitting all day? Have you ever worn a pedometer?

What do you do on days you exercise?

For myself, it depends. I usually do not eat more unless I sweat more. However, I am aware that those zoo calories are available if I am genuinely hungry, even after more water or tea and an attempt to distract myself.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    do you wear a fitbit or anything similar for step counting? if this is something out of the norm - yes, you should get some extra calories - but it will depend on how much you walk above/beyond your normal
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Sure, I would. You’re walking more than normal and doing something kind of vacation-y with family. If I remember correctly, we’re not allowed to bring our own food into my local zoo (probably for fear that we’ll feed the animals), so you may need those extra calories to eat the food they serve there.
  • alicia163425
    alicia163425 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    First, I have never met a nurse who considers herself sedentary before. Are you sitting all day? Have you ever worn a pedometer?

For myself, it depends. I usually do not eat more unless I sweat more. However, I am aware that those zoo calories are available if I am genuinely hungry, even after more water or tea and an attempt to distract myself.

I guess the reason I set it for that is because I used to work in the hospital and was on my feet for 12-16 hours a day and when I moved to the clinic it was a huge change. I don’t just sit all day but I am at my computer charting a lot. If I am not seeing patients I am not doing a lot of moving because I am constantly on the phone with people. Do you still think sedentary is still reasonable? I work out 3 times a week right now but I was told this didn’t count as the activity level because exercise was in addition.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options

I guess the reason I set it for that is because I used to work in the hospital and was on my feet for 12-16 hours a day and when I moved to the clinic it was a huge change. I don’t just sit all day but I am at my computer charting a lot. If I am not seeing patients I am not doing a lot of moving because I am constantly on the phone with people. Do you still think sedentary is still reasonable? I work out 3 times a week right now but I was told this didn’t count as the activity level because exercise was in addition.

The bolded is correct.

Your job as it relates to your MFP activity level set to sedentary can be determined over time if you are losing faster than MFP rate of loss is predicted, as in you are burning more through your work than if you set it to light active for example.

As far as museum or zoo days, this is a day where you may be walking more than usual, but hardly worth adding in a 'calorie burn' like you would through purposeful exercise. If you are hungry or just want to eat more, then its up to you if you want to eat more or not.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Personally I wear a fitness tracker. My activity is set to sedentary and I use most of my exercise calories. I am in maintenance. For 10,000 steps I get about 125 calories extra. I weigh 145. If you are starving I would eat extra but not tons extra. If you happen to burn more than expected you will just lose a little faster. Bonus right? What I always remind myself of is that my body counts calories accurately no matter what I log. I might as well be honest. Have a wonderful day at the museum.
  • JMcGee2018
    JMcGee2018 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

The bolded is correct.

Your job as it relates to your MFP activity level set to sedentary can be determined over time if you are losing faster than MFP rate of loss is predicted, as in you are burning more through your work than if you set it to light active for example.

As far as museum or zoo days, this is a day where you may be walking more than usual, but hardly worth adding in a 'calorie burn' like you would through purposeful exercise. If you are hungry or just want to eat more, then its up to you if you want to eat more or not.

I'd say this depends somewhat. If you're truly sedentary most days (<5k steps a day) and end up getting 10k steps at the museum (which I think counts as active), it could make a difference in calorie burn. That said, I would try to stick to my calorie limit and just appreciate the bigger deficit that day.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Personally I wear a fitness tracker. My activity is set to sedentary and I use most of my exercise calories. I am in maintenance. For 10,000 steps I get about 125 calories extra. I weigh 145. If you are starving I would eat extra but not tons extra. If you happen to burn more than expected you will just lose a little faster. Bonus right? What I always remind myself of is that my body counts calories accurately no matter what I log. I might as well be honest. Have a wonderful day at the museum.

I do this as well, except I just have a low tech pedometer. For every 10,000 steps, I give myself 150 extra calories. It's been working for me, and motivates me to move more.

Before I got the pedometer, if we went somewhere like the zoo, I'd set my phone to count my steps, and I'd just carry it in my hand. I was using it for pictures, anyway.

Have fun!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    JMcGee2018 wrote: »

The bolded is correct.

I'd say this depends somewhat. If you're truly sedentary most days (<5k steps a day) and end up getting 10k steps at the museum (which I think counts as active), it could make a difference in calorie burn. That said, I would try to stick to my calorie limit and just appreciate the bigger deficit that day.

I do use an activity tracker to track my steps and on a Saturday zoo day for me, I may walk 5000 steps or so. I might get an additional 100-150 calories once I am out of the 'activity level' my watch is set for.

She certainly can choose to eat more, I was not discounting that she should not, basically its a personal choice if she wants to eat more or consider it a bonus.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

The bolded is correct.

It’s not much of a burn though.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Keep it at sedentary and log your museum visit as walking slow pace - keep an eye on the amount of time and log that. Or if you have a pedometer app on your phone, let that record your steps - it'll tell you the approx cals burned and you can log that manually.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do anything different. Make appropriate food choices at the museum -- either do lighter meals outside of your trip there, or do lighter there, and just spread your food out occasionally.

I have no problem increasing calories for "special" things. I do not see a trip to a museum as special, especially since you're really not logging that many extra calories to justify the added intake.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

The bolded is correct.

I do use an activity tracker to track my steps and on a Saturday zoo day for me, I may walk 5000 steps or so. I might get an additional 100-150 calories once I am out of the 'activity level' my watch is set for.

She certainly can choose to eat more, I was not discounting that she should not, basically its a personal choice if she wants to eat more or consider it a bonus.

I was at the zoo yesterday with family and also got around 5,000 steps there. Actually less than my normal step goal. I was surprised but I guess we stopped and looked at exhibits and walked slowly so although we were out and about more hours my activity level was not more than a day where I walked to and from the library.

Maybe just have a maintenance calorie day and that would probably cover any extra activity of walking around a museum.
    I believe there is about a 200 calorie difference between each activity level setting.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    It's a museum. Are you going to power walk through it 5x?
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Just being on your feet for for a few hours will burn more calories than sat on the couch let alone the movement around the museum.

Be still not much more. Strolling speed is not much of a calorie burner.
  • runnermom419
    runnermom419 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    ap1972 wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »

Just being on your feet for for a few hours will burn more calories than sat on the couch let alone the movement around the museum.

Not to the point of adjusting calories for the day and worrying if you'll get to eat more.