Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Is Sucralose Scary?

Options
System
System Posts: 1,900 MFP Staff
edited March 2018 in Debate Club
Hi all,

This discussion was created from replies split from: Why Aspartame Isn't Scary to facilitate the discussion of the safety of sucralose.

As always, please remember to refrain from attacking during your debate.

Thanks,
4legs

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Is it time for another deep dive topic into a different non-sugar sweetner - sucralose?
  • CrystalLFit
    CrystalLFit Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Is it time for another deep dive topic into a different non-sugar sweetner - sucralose?

It sounds like research is continuing on non-sugar sweeteners and how they may lead to Type 2 diabetes and other common causes of premature death.

https://medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321244.php

Findings 'should be of concern'

Study co-author Sabyasachi Sen, who is an associate professor of medicine at George Washington University, describes the results.

"Our stem cell-based studies indicate that low-calorie sweeteners promote additional fat accumulation within cells compared with cells not exposed to these substances, in a dose-dependent fashion — meaning that as the dose of sucralose is increased more cells showed increased fat droplet accumulation."

"This most likely occurs by increasing glucose entry into cells through increased activity of genes called glucose transporters."

Prof. Sen explains that these findings should be of particular concern to people who are obese and have prediabetes or diabetes, as these people are already at increased risk for heart attack and strokes.

The scientists believe that the overexpression in fat-related genes is more pronounced in these people because they have increased amounts of glucose in their blood, which creates insulin resistance.

That's not a study and therefore hasn't been published or peer reviewed. It's just preliminary research.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Thanks for branching this, @System . Sucralose is my sweetener of choice, even so I rarely use it. I'm still alive so that's my data point.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Let's see, 4 packets in coffee in morning.
    8-16 ozs of diet soda in evening.

I guess I'm way under the ADI.

I'll guess I'll have to do some research on why even some is absorbed. Been a long time, when it first came out.
    What is confused that would cause that if not recognized as sugar or something to normally not absorb?
    And could whatever that reason be effect some more than others, and why?

Inquiring minds want to know. Ok, just my curious mind.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    System wrote: »
    Hi all,

This discussion was created from replies split from: Why Aspartame Isn't Scary to facilitate the discussion of the safety of sucralose.

As always, please remember to refrain from attacking during your debate.

Thanks,
    4legs

It is for me.. I'm allergic to it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Let's see, 4 packets in coffee in morning.
    8-16 ozs of diet soda in evening.

I guess I'm way under the ADI.

I'll guess I'll have to do some research on why even some is absorbed. Been a long time, when it first came out.
    What is confused that would cause that if not recognized as sugar or something to normally not absorb?
    And could whatever that reason be effect some more than others, and why?

Inquiring minds want to know. Ok, just my curious mind.

Some discussion of it here, on page 3, Section B: https://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/98fr/040398a.pdf
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Is that the ingredient in the evil gummy bears? I think my friend is super sensitive to it, but I may be thinking of the wrong stuff.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Momepro wrote: »
    Is that the ingredient in the evil gummy bears? I think my friend is super sensitive to it, but I may be thinking of the wrong stuff.

Had to Google it, but supposedly the dreaded Haribo Sugar Free Gummy Bears are sweetened with Lycasin - of which a major component is apparently maltitol (a sugar alcohol).
  • Davidsdottir
    Davidsdottir Posts: 1,285 Member
    Options
    I avoid sucralose...because I don't like the taste. I haven't found any sugar substitutes that I do enjoy, so I stick to cane sugar, honey, and maple syrup.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    I drink my coffee unsweetened now, but when I was pregnant with gestational diabetes I used sucralose. It didn't spike my blood sugar and one packet lasted for 3 cups of coffee. Win/win!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure this is the sweetener in a low cal ice cream I tried. Based on the "result" of that, I'm avoiding it. Did not agree with my system.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    The dreaded gummies use malitol and sorbitol - sugar alcohols - and these are the ones that most have a tendency to tear up the digestive tract. Interestingly enough, erythritol - another sugar alcohol - doesn't seem to have the same effect. I know that sugar free breath mints sweetened with malitol and sorbitol have the same effect on me as the gummies would have.

Back on topic, I had a co-worker whose wife was allergic to Sucralose, but other than that, I have not heard any negatives against it. I personally don't like the taste, so I stick to stevia for my sweetener of choice.