Which salt do U use and why?

dsboohead
dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
......iodized....lite.....kosher.....sea....himalayan?

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    fine grained in my shaker because, shaker.

Coarse for seasoning/grilling/cooking.

Beyond that, I don't much care about kosher vs sea vs pink vs whatever else.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Idolized for cooking pasta. Pink salt because it comes with a cool grinder. Kosher salt for brining poultry. Lite salt? never tried it. I have many varieties of salt. I’m a weirdo.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Iodized for some things because it's cheap (especially for things like pasta water) and I don't know that I get enough iodine in my diet. Sea salt for other things because again it's fairly cheap and sometimes you want bigger chunks of salt.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    just plain salt generally Only variety in it is coarseness. Coarser salt crystals work better for decorations type things for instance home made focaccia. But really I am not phased, it dissolves and it is the same stuff.
    What people feel are flavour differences are really the impurities.
    Just to show that pure is not always better;
    When I worked in a lab we had a lunch with fries when we ran out of table salt. We substituted it with analytical grade NaCl (salt). Made me realise that impurities have a point as the analytical pure stuff tasted vile on the fries.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Iodized to cook with, sea salt on the table. Need iodine, but if you don't cook it a while, it tastes like iodine.
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    I use this one, it has great flavor.

81UNVmDXYSL._SY550_.jpg
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Iodized, but it's rare. Only on eggs or potatoes, or if I'm cooking something that calls for it.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2018
    Iodized table salt for the table.
    Himalayan uplifted seabed salt for the bed.*
    Fine sea salt for the bread and pizza.

* It's a doctor-approved method of avoiding nighttime leg cramps.
  • Okiludy
    Okiludy Posts: 558 Member
    Sea salt from a company on the island. I like supporting local business and don't use much.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Iodized and sea salt. I rarely add salt to my cooking, baking sometimes requires salt. The only added salt from the table is on my potatoes otherwise I use other seasonings.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited March 2018
    I’ve been using sea salt for 30+ years and just last year switched back to iodized salt. My aunt had goiter and there seems to be quite a few people here on MFP with thyroid issues.
    https://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Iodized sea salt
    Because I like it.
  • coolfry
    coolfry Posts: 48 Member
    Kosher salt for almost everything. Pickling Salt for everything else. I don't use Iodized salt as I occasionally am put on a low iodine diet, I get any trace amounts of iodine I may need from my love of cheese and fish.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Regular iodized store salt because I just want to salt things, not be fancy with it, and I don't like meat so course or seasoned salt is not something I use. We have a huge kosher salt bag that we use for cheesemaking and dried fermented yogurt, but it's not exactly "salt I use", just something I reach for when we're out of salt.
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    I don't much care, if I run out I grab whatever, but I find it funny how recipes online nowadays have risen the fancying up on ingredients to a new high. More specifically, salt. It HAS to be kosher. Or Celtic. God forbid it would be just salt.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Kosher or other coarse grained. It's better for cooking and I only use salt when cooking. (That's why recipes specify too -- if you use fine grained you need to use less when cooking or it ends up tasting saltier, at least if you are using a tsp or (as I do) a pinch vs. grams, I suppose.)
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    Just plain iodized salt ... in two gradations (fine, for overall-salting and coarsely ground for salty accents)
    all else seems like yet another rip-off to me (especially since they found micro-plastics in Fleur-Du-Sel)
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,981 Member
    Plain home brand cheapest version.

I don't shake salt on to foods though and rarely even use it in cooking.
  • alyssa_rest
    alyssa_rest Posts: 276 Member
    Plain iodized salt for pretty much everything... it's cheap and I don't have any medical reasons not to.
    Kosher salt is in some of my seasonings for meat so I guess I technically use that sometimes as well.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    edited March 2018
    Plain. Try not to over complicate things such as this.