Fast food

If I have a budget of 1,200 calories a day and I want fast food like once or twice a week and I fit the calories within my daily budget will I still lose weight? I know this sounds silly but I know fast food isn’t the healthiest so I didn’t know if I would still be losing.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Assuming 1,200 calories is a deficit for you (and it likely is), then yes.

Weight loss is created by a calorie deficit. You can have one while eating fast food.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,383 Member
    edited March 2018
    Yes! :)
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    yeah. food is food. calories is what matters.
    i just stay away from fries usually, because sadly they have so many calories T_T
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    If I have a budget of 1,200 calories a day and I want fast food like once or twice a week and I fit the calories within my daily budget will I still lose weight? I know this sounds silly but I know fast food isn’t the healthiest so I didn’t know if I would still be losing.

Yes!
  • BruceHedtke
    BruceHedtke Posts: 358 Member
    edited March 2018
    Your body doesn't know if you ate a 1,200 calorie cheeseburger or a 1,200 calorie salad. It just knows you consumed 1,200 calories.

The high sodium content in fast food will probably cause you to retain water for a short period of time but it won't magically cause you to gain body fat just because it's fast food.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    With a budget of 1200 I'd probably be pretty hungry for the rest of the day making burger and fries fit but yes, you could
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Your body doesn't know if you ate a 1,200 calorie cheeseburger or a 1,200 calorie salad. It just knows you consumed 1,200 calories.

The high sodium content in fast food will probably cause you to retain water for a short period of time but it won't magically cause you to gain body fat just because it's fast food.

I just ate a salty "chili cheese dog" at dairy queen. And got a free ice cream cone to boot. It is still within my targets
    I love this mfp eating plan.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Fast food contains A LOT of sodium. So, be sure to have an extra amount of water to help offset it, and do keep in mind the idea of water retention due to sodium.

Taco Bell has a series of healthier options, Fresco (lower calories) and Catalina (higher protein).
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    The summer before college I worked full-time at McDonald's. I had a double cheeseburger for lunch every day. I was a normal weight (around a size 4) and not trying to lose anything. I still ended up dropping 10 pounds by the end of the summer due to how active the job was.

As others have said, if you're eating at a deficit, then you'll lose weight even on a fast food diet.

I personally find protein and fat filling, so that daily double cheeseburger may even have left me eating fewer daily calories than was my norm before it.