Let's talk protein bars.

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    The only thing about protein bars is that they just provide protein, that's it. Basically empty calories, still better than sugar though.

Protein is an empty calorie? I'm assuming that didn't come out as you meant it?

I think the idea is that any calories without micros can be viewed as empty, which in this case would be correct. I never liked the term "empty calories" anyway since it's really not helpful. Most protein bars contain whey and/or soy so they do have some micros with them already.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,592 Member
    Options
    The only thing about protein bars is that they just provide protein, that's it. Basically empty calories, still better than sugar though.

How are they empty calories when they provide protein? You know, one of those major macros? :)
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I'm partial to Clif Builder's Protein. 20g protein, 270 cal with a texture and flavor I like better than others. Stay away from No Cow, they taste like river bottom silt.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

How are they empty calories when they provide protein? You know, one of those major macros? :)

So are carbs but those are always called empty calories. Quite a problem with terminology it would seem.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I have found two smaller (~150cal) with some fiber. One is Orgain, the peanut butter chocolate one is a better texture than cookie dough. The other is Think Thin Protein and Fiber. I just finished a s'more one and it tasted marshmallow and chocolaty and delicious. Of course, that might be because it is noon and I am stuck at the mechanic's after my car refused to start after physical therapy this morning. Sawdust might have done the trick. I keep bars in my backpack for just this kind of situation. No excuse to go to McDonald's.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

if they provide an important macro, how are they 'empty' calories? I don't really understand this expression

-whoops, I just see a tonne of other people asked as well! sorry to dogpile!
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I was on a Quest and Oh yeah One bar kick for a while but I found Pure Protein bars. They’re so much cheaper than any other protein bar and they’re delicious. I especially like the chocolate salted caramel and chocolate peanut butter bars, if they had peanuts in them they’d taste like a Snickers almost. I’ve got some S’mores flavored bars coming in the mail, I’m thinking those will be my new favorite.
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    These don't leave me bloated me like Quest bars do. On the other hand, I wish they had the same nutrient profile as Quest.

genuine-health-fermented-vegan-proteins-plus-bars-double-chocolate-chip-55g.jpg
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    DarianJP wrote: »
    I was on a Quest and Oh yeah One bar kick for a while but I found Pure Protein bars. They’re so much cheaper than any other protein bar and they’re delicious. I especially like the chocolate salted caramel and chocolate peanut butter bars, if they had peanuts in them they’d taste like a Snickers almost. I’ve got some S’mores flavored bars coming in the mail, I’m thinking those will be my new favorite.

I saw that they came out with Pure Protein Red Velvet...I wonder if they're any good.
  • DarianJP
    DarianJP Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    fb47 wrote: »

I saw that they came out with Pure Protein Red Velvet...I wonder if they're any good.

Whaaaaaaaaaattt!! I’m out of the loop apparently, I’m going to have to buy a box! I bet they are amazing. Thanks for the heads up! Lol
  • fb47
    Options

Whaaaaaaaaaattt!! I’m out of the loop apparently, I’m going to have to buy a box! I bet they are amazing. Thanks for the heads up! Lol

I live in Canada and we have them here, since you live in the US, I am betting that you guys have them for sure. You guys always get stuff before us (which is normal since most supplement companies are from the US).
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options

I have a box here on my desk and they are pretty damn good, they also don't have the normal Pure Protein fillers of collagen and gelatine.
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I :heart: cookie dough quest bars
  • katiebweann
    katiebweann Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Unico's Unicorn Crunch bar in Brownie. I received it as a free sample a while back. It was amazing because it wasn't gummy, hard, or have the weird twangy protein taste to it. It was so good I thought I had went and bought a candy bar or an actual baked brownie bar. I highly recommend them on flavor and texture. They come in two flavors that I know of-Iced Brownie & Cinnamon Roll.
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    The Kirkland cookie dough are better than Quest for sure, but I love the Daryl's caramel salted peanut protein bars.
    56 gr- 230 cal/8g fat/16g carb/4g fiber/22g protein
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    The Kirkland cookie dough are better than Quest for sure, but I love the Daryl's caramel salted peanut protein bars.
    56 gr- 230 cal/8g fat/16g carb/4g fiber/22g protein

So i'd love to try these kirkland bars, but it looks like you can only get them at costco? I don't have a costco membership, so nuts to that.
  • kmarsh5494
    kmarsh5494 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Bars are delicious, high protein (20g), low sugar, and low fat!
  • fb47
    Options
    kmarsh5494 wrote: »
    Pure Protein Bars are delicious, high protein (20g), low sugar, and low fat!

My only wish is that they change their protein from soy to whey or milk protein (or a blend of both).
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    The Wal-Mart brand of Great Value has a couple of 10g protein bars. I like both of them. You might be convinced that sugar is the debbil so they are off limits to you.

Last night I bought, for the first time, an expensive package of ON 20g protein pucks. It would be honest to say that I don't like them and don't intend to buy them again. For 20 g protein I'd rather and more cheaply have 2 cans of tuna.

I know, I'm quoting me. My "don't like" evaluation was after having a package of 3 pucks alone. Later in the week I decided to take a package to work with me, and each day had 1 puck with coffee. The black coffee and the general nastiness of the puck worked together well. I now do expect to purchase the On puck again, but I'm not going to try the birthday cake flavor.