Logging

Options
Tq43
Tq43 Posts: 85 Member
How long have people logging their calories? I'm doing it a month....go me !!!
I'm just wondering if it's a long term thing or a short term measure to get on track and then things become natural and logging isn't needed.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I logged my intake for 18 months before I was ready to just plan my meals in a spreadsheet and weigh and count, and that was because I had learnt and accepted what amounts of any food was appropriate for me, in total, per day, and over time. I also started weighing myself daily.
  • Tq43
    Options
    I suppose it does take time to be able to gauge amounts of foods by eye and know exactly what works for u.
    I've previously done plans that involve logging and I usually stop logging after about 3 months and that's when it all goes wrong and I slip back into old habits of eating all the wrong stuff and way too much of it !
    Maybe logging for longer will keep.me more focused and on track.
    Thanks for your reply.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm on day 299! I do like planning so I don't mind logging, I rather enjoying figuring out what to eat next.

I also have a hard time of estimating how much meat I should eat at lunch if I want to have a sweet potato, broccoli and feta bowl for dinner if I want to meet my protein goals. Perhaps because I am at the lower end of my bmi and like to save 200 calories for dessert that I don't have much wiggle room and need to make everything else I eat during the day be filling. However, I like how I look, I like having dessert, so I'm trying to make this work for the long run in maintenance.

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    There are many people who continue to log regularly years into maintenance. I am barely approaching the two month mark this time around.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    26 months.
    I got close to my arbitrarily chosen goal once last year, then decided to stop trying. After gaining a bunch I decided to resume trying again. Yes, it works.

Some people can maintain without logging, some cannot. I believe sincerely that I am one of the cannots. That's not a failure. This is tool and I know how to use it.
  • Tq43
    Options
    Seems like long term logging may be the way forward for me too ! 3 months has been my limit before and I always slip into bad habits when I stop. ....think I'm in it for the long haul this time. Thanks for all your replies and well done on your achievements this far.....I'm determined to make it work this time !!!
    I'm up 2 pounds this week though..... I think it's a women's monthly thing rather than fat so I'm sticking to plan and firing ahead !!! Wish me luck !
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for over 3 years, most of the last 2 years in maintenance. I'm not quite as strict about it as I used to be, but I find prelogging and seeing the numbers helps me stay on track. Plus I'm a data geek, so I keep lists and tallies of everything else anyway :smile: . Some people can do it temporarily and then move on, some need it long term, and some could succeed without logging but just find it easier to continue with it. :drinker:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I logged daily without fail for 4 years before I realised that I had made lasting habits and no longer needed to log what I eat because I am now a creature of habit ....its definately been worth it - I'm in year 5 of maintenance :smile:
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Day 444 for me, I was logging a little longer but took a break the first Christmas, keeping at the logging because I have to keep adjusting my calorie intake when my exercise focuses change so I'd be all over the place if I was trying to do it intuitively. Don't feel like it's much of a hindrance though, it's just something I do every day like cleaning my teeth or brushing my hair.
  • Tq43
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I'm def going to keep logging and see how I go. I think I'd be lost without at the moment, as I'm still learning.
    It might become a long term thing....at the moment I don't mind Logging, so I'll keep going.