Diet Breaks?

Options
Just wanted to get a few opinions. I'm 5'7" and started my weight loss journey at 245. Now I'm at 213. I'm finishing up my first 12 weeks of dieting in a couple of days. The first couple of weeks, the pounds just fell off. Since then, I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week. I've noticed my weight loss has virtually stopped over the last couple of weeks and I've been fighting hunger a lot more.

I've been reading up on controlled diet breaks on the web. I've been considering taking 10-14 days of eating at maintenance and then going straight back to 500 under maintenance. What do you all think? Good idea or just stick with staying at 500 under with no break?

Replies

• Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I recently took a 3-week break from logging. I didn't go hog-wild with the eating but I was just having mental diet fatigue and needed a break from logging, measuring, counting, thinking about it, worrying about it, feeling guilty about it, etc.. I gained 2 lbs which was no biggie, and I'm feeling refreshed and ready to lose another 20.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to get a few opinions. I'm 5'7" and started my weight loss journey at 245. Now I'm at 213. I'm finishing up my first 12 weeks of dieting in a couple of days. The first couple of weeks, the pounds just fell off. Since then, I've been losing 1-2 pounds per week. I've noticed my weight loss has virtually stopped over the last couple of weeks and I've been fighting hunger a lot more.

I've been reading up on controlled diet breaks on the web. I've been considering taking 10-14 days of eating at maintenance and then going straight back to 500 under maintenance. What do you all think? Good idea or just stick with staying at 500 under with no break?

First, congrats on the amazing success so far.

Second, I feel I need to know more about the diet plan you're following. Is diet just a simple term for being in calorie deficit (basically eat the calories MFP set for you plus at least half, if not all, of your workouts calories)? Or is it some other diet. I think that would information come in handy.

I personally take "diet" breaks but 2 weeks of not really a halt. Its a fairly small time frame to judge with. I have had months go by without a loss. Which is fine. If you are confident about your calories logging. Which means that you are measuring and logging precisely. Even little things like those 10 calorie cup of black coffee, then I would suggest going on maintenance for a couple of weeks and then going back down to cutting calories. It always helps me break a plateau.

Good luck :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    A diet break helped me. Like you, the first 25 pounds dropped off really easily. Then I just stalled. Tried eating less, eating more and finally the diet break when I got desperate. After all if I wasn't losing on 1300 cals, I might as well be eating at maintenance. After 3 weeks at TDEE (where I initially fluctuated upward but dropped back to my lowest weight) I started eating at a deficit. The scale started moving again, albeit at a slower rate than my initial weight loss. I now incorporate a 2 week break every 3 months.
  • lindacollins78
    lindacollins78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options

First, congrats on the amazing success so far.

Second, I feel I need to know more about the diet plan you're following. Is diet just a simple term for being in calorie deficit (basically eat the calories MFP set for you plus at least half, if not all, of your workouts calories)? Or is it some other diet. I think that would information come in handy.

I personally take "diet" breaks but 2 weeks of not really a halt. Its a fairly small time frame to judge with. I have had months go by without a loss. Which is fine. If you are confident about your calories logging. Which means that you are measuring and logging precisely. Even little things like those 10 calorie cup of black coffee, then I would suggest going on maintenance for a couple of weeks and then going back down to cutting calories. It always helps me break a plateau.

Good luck :)
    I log religously and only eat half of what MFP tells me on exercise because their numbers always look too big. My hrm usually is about half of what MFP says. My coworkers and family think I'm obsessive with counting calories because I'm constently weighing stuff and I'm generally always talking about my diet :tongue:
    I've been sticking with most of the MFP macros but basically focused on calorie count. Thanks for the compliments!
    Just wanted to get a feel of what people think about taking diet breaks.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    I recently took a 3-week break from logging. I didn't go hog-wild with the eating but I was just having mental diet fatigue and needed a break from logging, measuring, counting, thinking about it, worrying about it, feeling guilty about it, etc.. I gained 2 lbs which was no biggie, and I'm feeling refreshed and ready to lose another 20.

Thanks for the input!
    I think I better stick with logging everything even if I decide to take a break. It gives me a better sense of control, which is probably why I've been doing good so far. I'm afraid if I stop logging I won't get back to it. And if I'm not watching it, I'm a girl who can definetly eat!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    <snip quotations.>
    I log religously and only eat half of what MFP tells me on exercise because their numbers always look too big. My hrm usually is about half of what MFP says. My coworkers and family think I'm obsessive with counting calories because I'm constently weighing stuff and I'm generally always talking about my diet :tongue:
    I've been sticking with most of the MFP macros but basically focused on calorie count. Thanks for the compliments!
    Just wanted to get a feel of what people think about taking diet breaks.

Sounds like you're doing things right. I usually take a diet break once in a while naturally (stress eating, religious or family obligations etc). I would say yeah a Diet break for a few weeks is in order. Just don't freak out over the temporary gain you get. The last time I took a break I gained like 5 lbs after a month of break but most of it was water weight and I think I gained only 2-3 lbs of fat. Which in the long run isn't that bad to deal with if it helps you get over the plateau.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    A diet break helped me. Like you, the first 25 pounds dropped off really easily. Then I just stalled. Tried eating less, eating more and finally the diet break when I got desperate. After all if I wasn't losing on 1300 cals, I might as well be eating at maintenance. After 3 weeks at TDEE (where I initially fluctuated upward but dropped back to my lowest weight) I started eating at a deficit. The scale started moving again, albeit at a slower rate than my initial weight loss. I now incorporate a 2 week break every 3 months.

Thanks. That "2 week break every 3 months" is about what I've been thinking. I'm currently set at 1600 because I wanted to go slow and steady. Plus I'd have trouble at 1200-1300 a day. I'd over eat then feel guilty and just cause myself to be a mess.
  • wiltl
    wiltl Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I'm trying the same thing right now. I've been plateaued for a good 6 months...I'm adding 300/day which puts me barely below by TDEE and try this for a week. Then go back down 300, maybe 400 and see if that kicks things off again.

I was doing like 1 weekend every month or two of no logging days and that helped quite a bit to not only keep the scale moving for a year, but also kept my sanity in check.

If you've been stalled for only a couple of weeks, you may not want to go a full two weeks at TDEE yet. Maybe take a weekend? Good Luck!
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    [/quote]Sounds like you're doing things right. I usually take a diet break once in a while naturally (stress eating, religious or family obligations etc). I would say yeah a Diet break for a few weeks is in order. Just don't freak out over the temporary gain you get. The last time I took a break I gained like 5 lbs after a month of break but most of it was water weight and I think I gained only 2-3 lbs of fat. Which in the long run isn't that bad to deal with if it helps you get over the plateau.
    [/quote]

Thanks. I think I could handle a few lbs up if I started going down again.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    I'm trying the same thing right now. I've been plateaued for a good 6 months...I'm adding 300/day which puts me barely below by TDEE and try this for a week. Then go back down 300, maybe 400 and see if that kicks things off again.

I was doing like 1 weekend every month or two of no logging days and that helped quite a bit to not only keep the scale moving for a year, but also kept my sanity in check.

If you've been stalled for only a couple of weeks, you may not want to go a full two weeks at TDEE yet. Maybe take a weekend? Good Luck!

Thanks for the ideas!
    About one day a month, I've been allowing myself a maintenance day. I've had two so far. I'll think about a weekend.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    Bump. Does anyone have the opinion of no break? If so, please explain. Thanks!
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I assume this is what you read?

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html

then yes, do it - you won't gain fat (only water weight) even if you did it would be minimal, it'll be a nice mental break for you too.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    I assume this is what you read?

then yes, do it - you won't gain fat (only water weight) even if you did it would be minimal, it'll be a nice mental break for you too.

Thanks, and yes this article is what got me thinking and researching. :wink:
  • ritchiedrama
    Options
    I've been through diet breaks myself and they made a difference :p
  • lindacollins78
    Options

Did you get hungrier right before you went on a break? I thought I was over that hump but especially the last week I've noticed the ole stomach a growling more often. I can work through it, I did when I first started but was just wondering.
  • ritchiedrama
    Options

Did you get hungrier right before you went on a break? I thought I was over that hump but especially the last week I've noticed the ole stomach a growling more often.

Hmm, I can't really say, because through my entire time 'cutting' my weight I was on a fairly steep deficit.

But I did things different than majority would here.. like I did Intermittent Fasting and that has removed all hunger pangs anyway, and I carb cycled so some days I could eat at maintenance anyway.

The main reason for diet breaks was just the stall in weight loss for me, I only did two in like a year - but still, it won't hurt to just take 2 weeks off even if you just feel like you need it.
  • lindacollins78
    Options

Did you get hungrier right before you went on a break? I thought I was over that hump but especially the last week I've noticed the ole stomach a growling more often.

Hmm, I can't really say, because through my entire time 'cutting' my weight I was on a fairly steep deficit.

But I did things different than majority would here.. like I did Intermittent Fasting and that has removed all hunger pangs anyway, and I carb cycled so some days I could eat at maintenance anyway.

The main reason for diet breaks was just the stall in weight loss for me, I only did two in like a year - but still, it won't hurt to just take 2 weeks off even if you just feel like you need it.

I appreciate the guidance. Truly!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

Don't consider it a challenge to eat back everything you've lost.

Also, it's exactly 14 days for the reasons outlined in the article.
  • lindacollins78
    Options
    That's what I was thinking about. At first I was thinking 7 days but after that article I think tomorrow I will start a 14 day Maintenance period.
  • andreagenther
    andreagenther Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I have heard someone say that will power is like a muscle, it gets tired and can fail at the worst times. I think i heard it from Jillian Micheals. That is what has helped me.
    I take "planed" breaks, a party, family visit, or just because, as often or rarely as I need them sometimes it is once a week, twice a week, or every other week. I try to listen to my body if i have been especially hungry for a few days I will take a day off and eat maintenance. I figure this whole journey is about learning to maintain a healthy lifestyle and I have had a problem binging my whole life. So in my quest to conquer my binging problem and be healthy for life, planned breaks work for me long term.