Hi everyone!

Options
I’ve been in this sight now for a couple of months, so, it’s about time I introduce myself. I’m Ronda, 53 yrs old and in desperate need to lose weight. I’ve been going from 320-313 and back up again for a while now. I’m prediabetic and have moderate- severe neuropathy in my legs and arms. My orthopedic surgeon actually suggested I try this sight. Any and all suggestions to lose weight are welcome.

Replies

• eclecticpixxie
    eclecticpixxie Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi there Ronda. This is my first time greeting someone like this normally I read and "like" (do the same on facebook too).

Just to let you know- I've been there. I am now at 250 but had lost 155 pounds. So I was a pretty big gal. I actually became diabetic, insulin reliant type 2. I was up to 100 units per day, along with taking victoza and metformin and a plethora of other medications. In short: a walking pharmacy!

Add to that a sedentary job and there's a mix for a mess for sure.

I also developed atrial fibrillation. No fun. Was in the ER every month or so. So there's a whole lot of mess that comes with diabetes. Neuropathy is the tip of the iceberg! By the way, I was also diagnosed with moderate neuropathy as well.

So here's your first "atta girl": WELCOME! This is the wisest prescription your doctor could have given you!

Aside from making it much easier to count your cals, etc., you can get ideas and tips as well as recipes here. Most of the people are friendly and if anyone gives you grief the admins are really good about helping with that issue.

But thus far? No real problems here! Instead lots of good suggestions and such and some fun, too.

Want to know how I lost the first 155?

I had to go to a cardiac after care unit to strengthen my heart. I treadmilled under a nurses watch for 1/2 hour three days a week. The foot pain was no fun but a really good pair of well padded sneakers helped immensely. Eventually (in around 3 months) we started seeing my blood pressure doing better as well as my sugars on glucometer. It was wild!

When that happened I was able to lower the amount of insulin. Once that happened, I began to lose weight.

But I still had to change my food intake. The amount was actually more important than the what. Trust me when I say that secret "blast diets" aren't a good long term plan. I mean, really? You think you could eat nothing but the military diet for the rest of your life? Nobody can! So, just use good common sense and let MFP be your guide!

This 100 pounds I have to lose now is here because I fell off the wagon :( Before it was fine for me to keep data in a spiral notebook but new beginnings call for fresh but safe approaches. MFP is mine.

Welcome aboard. We can travel this train together, if you'll have me! :)

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    Log. Your. Food.

No matter what, do that every day. No matter what you eat, over-eat, whatever. Log your food.

At the end of the day (or the next morning) look at your day's food and start making small adjustments.

It's too big and overwhelming if you try to change everything in ONE day.

You can still have your favorite foods, just not every day and not in the same (large) quantities

You will fight it psychologically. Some of us wait a very long time to grow up and learn to tell ourselves, "No."