Macro percentages

Options
Does anyone have suggestions on how I should divide my macros for the day? I am trying to lose 50 lb and not sure what percentage of macros should be fat, carbs and protein.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,439 Member
    Options
    You can just use the split this website gave you. There's nothing magical about a macro split.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    I lost ~140 pounds using MFP's default of 50% C - 20% P - 30% F. Some like the Zone diet macros which are 40% C - 30% P - 30% F.

The big thing is to have at least enough protein and fat. After that, your macros can be whatever works best with your preferred way of eating. Calories are what matter for weight loss. Macros are for nutrition and satiation.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Get enough (more than enough) protein, and enough fat and then do what works best for you.

Most people will need at least 20% protein and about 20% fat.

I go with 0-10% carbs, 25-15% protein, and 65-80% fat. Do what works for you and your health.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Options
    My advice would be not to do percentages at all.
    Set protein and fat minimum goals in grams and the remainder of your calorie allowance can come from whatever suits you.

You need a calorie restriction to lose weight - you don't need an additional restriction of rigid macro percentages.
  • Emmygm
    Emmygm Posts: 80 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I don't track fat and carbs in my diary. I focus on minimum protein, fibre, potassium, and calcium. Most days that means i get around 50% carb-30% fat- 201 % protein, but it really doesn't matter. It all evens out in the end.

Like everyone said, calories matter more than macros for weight loss. Macros become more important when you look at Body Fat percentages.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Options
    jfinc2 wrote: »
    Does anyone have suggestions on how I should divide my macros for the day? I am trying to lose 50 lb and not sure what percentage of macros should be fat, carbs and protein.

Start with the basics...that would be calories. There's not need to complicate things beyond that. MFP's default is a fine place to start...work on hitting calories and then address macros later if need be. Macros have very little to do with weight loss and more to do with satiety, performance, and body composition.

I ultimately went with a 40c/30p/30f breakdown which resulted in around 1 gram per Lb of LBM in protein and adequate fat for health and enough carbs to not have crappy workouts. I never tried to be bang on...just something I more or less followed as a loose guideline. That split doesn't work at all for me for maintaining because protein is excessive and so is fat.