I seriously need help with my night eating problem

Options
I have tried everything to stop my night eating habit. My husband and I eat dinner and watch shows together. As soon as he leaves to watch his own shows and I watch mine, I have a ridiculous urge to eat something. I just can't stop myself. Any helpful ideas?

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Is your night eating taking you over your calorie allowance for the day?

@cmriverside makes some good points, you could also try something that distracts you from eating whilst watching tv, I often do my ironing or exercise whilst watching tv. A lot of people recommend knitting too.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Nancela wrote: »
    I have tried everything to stop my night eating habit. My husband and I eat dinner and watch shows together. As soon as he leaves to watch his own shows and I watch mine, I have a ridiculous urge to eat something. I just can't stop myself. Any helpful ideas?

I save calories for a night time snack. It's usually something with a good deal of volume, so it's a decent portion size. Low fat popcorn is great. I pop it in a microwave bowl with just a bit of oil.....so the toppings stick.

Re: eating in front of the TV - Don't. I get a big glass of ice water, throw in a citrus wedge (if I want fancy) and then find something to do with my hands. Just a little bit of distraction like an adult coloring book, solitaire, or crochet will keep your mind off food.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Evening snacking is an ingrained habit for you. Make it work.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I think you're responding emotionally here.

My guess would be your husband leaving to watch his own shows prompts you to feel lonely, or abandoned, or have a loss of connection or something. Putting food in your stomach to ease that empty feeling is how you try to stifle that feeling.

My suggestions?

* Suggest at least once a week to not retreat to separate rooms to watch TV. Do something else together. I'd suggest not with a screen.
    * That seems like a lot of TV/movie/etc. viewing time. Do you really know how much time? Could you spend some of that time doing something more active, productive, or differently? A lot of passive TV viewing tends to be linked with behaviors that support obesity.
    * Nothing exactly wrong with eating in front of the TV - as long as it fits in with your CICO plan. But of course munching emotionally gets hard to control.
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think that my husband leaving either brings on a lonely feeling OR I just don't want to eat in front of him. Not sure. I think I will try leaving the kitchen clean-up until he leaves. Maybe that will break the tendency to eat. I also will make sure to leave calories for a night snack just in case. The problem is, something shuts off in my brain at a certain time and I just eat anyway. Thanks everyone. I will try everything you have mentioned. I am also definitely open to more suggestions.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Fix yourself some nice flavored non caffeine tea! I like ginger!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Micowave popcorn and make calorie allowance for it!
  • Nancela
    Nancela Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thinking about the abandonment issue I don't think that is true. I actually look forward to him leaving so I can watch my own shoes and have my little party. That is bad. We PVR everything so I just ff the commercials. Yikes! I really do have a problem.
  • EricRSRCP
    EricRSRCP Posts: 57 Member
    Options

Hi, I posted here. I have the same problem. Perhaps we can support each other because unless someone has this, they do not understand it. I get a lot of advice but most of it I have already tried. Message me if you want to fight this together!

• bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Is there room for any exercise equipment in front of the TV?
  • melanieharris097
    melanieharris097 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I actually plan a lite snack after the evening meal, that way I don’t feel deprived or like I’m cheating.
  • lois1231
    lois1231 Posts: 331 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Go to bed earlier. I try and not eat anything past 8:30. This is just what I do. Not everyone has to follow it. If I stay up too late, I start thinking about food and what I can eat. I have low calorie snacks and I prelog them ahead of time for night time. Then I close out my food diary for the day. This way I know I am done eating for the day. Sometimes I just tell myself. You get to eat again tomorrow. It isn't like you will never get to eat again.

I am/was notorious for "bad" nighttime eating habits including eating in bed which was a serious issue for me. Too me this sounds like more of a habit you got used to doing. You can break the cycle. Maybe eat low calorie snacks. Try doing something with your hands like a craft or maybe when you get the feeling to eat go for a walk. I do that between meals and after dinner. If you still want something when you come back, then have it. The walk gives you a break to think about what you are doing first.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thinking about the abandonment issue I don't think that is true. I actually look forward to him leaving so I can watch my own shoes and have my little party. That is bad. We PVR everything so I just ff the commercials. Yikes! I really do have a problem.

OMG! This is me! Every night around 9pm my husband goes upstairs to read and go to bed. I go much later. If he's not heading up those stairs by 9:15, I'm like...Go to bed! He just laughs. He knows I'm snacking, he told me he can hear the cabinets opening and bags rustling. LOL. I dont know what it is, I LOVE eating snacks, at night, alone...Just me, my cat and my British mysteries.

Anyway, I usually have enough calories banked to have those snacks'. So its not an issue. But if I don't, I try not to eat too much, or just have some popcorn or something really low cal.
    Sometimes, I'll brush my teeth at night way before bed. It does help curb the craving sometimes.

I know its a habit. I know its psychological. I'm not even hungry when I do it. But I'm super close to goal weight. ...and it makes me happy.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

OMG! This is me! Every night around 9pm my husband goes upstairs to read and go to bed. I go much later. If he's not heading up those stairs by 9:15, I'm like...Go to bed! He just laughs. He knows I'm snacking, he told me he can hear the cabinets opening and bags rustling. LOL. I dont know what it is, I LOVE eating snacks, at night, alone...Just me, my cat and my British mysteries.

Anyway, I usually have enough calories banked to have those snacks'. So its not an issue. But if I don't, I try not to eat too much, or just have some popcorn or something really low cal.
    Sometimes, I'll brush my teeth at night way before bed. It does help curb the craving sometimes.

I know its a habit. I know its psychological. I'm not even hungry when I do it. But I'm super close to goal weight. ...and it makes me happy.

Guilty as well, a recent phenomenon. Totally psychological and I'm going to blame it on winter...it just won't go away.