Pmdd depression and fitness

Options
Hi all I'm a 30 something female and suffer with PMDD get severe depression two weeks before period starts . Been upping my fitness and eating really healthy to A lose weight but to hopefully release some happy endorphins! However I'm struggling the last couple of days hit a wall . Would love to chat to some other women who are same as me and maybe encourage each other? Thanks

Replies

• tamonkay
    tamonkay Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I haven't been diagnosed (I never go to doctor), but I VERY strongly believe I have it. My periods are erratic and I used to never know when they were coming, but eventually I noticed I get severely depressed 2 weeks before I start.
    Realizing this has helped me greatly-I know now that when the depression hits me like a bus out of nowhere, I can tell myself that it is truly just hormone/period related, and that IT WILL PASS, I'll be back to myself in a few days.
    I also tend to gain a couple pounds in water weight in the week or so leading up, but it goes away during my period. I've been hoping that weight loss will help with the symptoms.
  • melanieandjason
    melanieandjason Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I also struggle with this. I haven't been diagnosed either, but the symptoms are so strong that I would find it hard to believe that I didn't have it. I started last Monday trying to work out and eat healthier hoping it would help. I have depression and extreme irritability/anger. Mine starts about 9-10 days before my period starts and continues into the first day or two of my period. I have noticed that on days that I work out, I feel better emotionally.
  • kellynrwood
    kellynrwood Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I don't struggle with PMDD (or luckily any period related issues), but have had severe depression since college and am a recovering anorexic. It sounds strange, but spicy food helps me on days when I am struggling. It gives you a domapine release in your brain, so it helps improve mood and release stress. When I worked in a much more stressful job I even kept a bottle of tobasco in my purse, and would pour a little directly into my mouth when I was having a rough day.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and suffer from PMDD prior to my period. About 2 weeks before I get severe anxiety and depression for up to a few days. Feel free to friend me :smile: The last couple of months I've added Vitex to my supplement regimen, and I have noticed a HUGE difference this month! Of course supplements don't work for everyone (and sometimes work differently for everyone), but I did some research regarding this before giving it a shot. Of course I'm not a doctor or medical expert in any way, so I strongly suggest talking to your Dr and doing your own research on what may help you. I hope you can find some relief. I understand how debilitating it can be.
  • Sunshine6909
    Sunshine6909 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi there... I have PTSD & have good days & bad days but my hubby has noticed that a week or so before my period I get very depressed. I will have moments of feeling desperate, where I don't quite know what to do. I am learning to recognise these & get through them knowing it will pass. At home my hubby will remind me that tomorrow will be different & makes me a cup of tea.
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    @Francl27 may be able to shed some light on this topic
  • kstarallen
    kstarallen Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    PMDd kind of turned into full time anxiety and depression for me. Found the right combo of meds and that worked for me for years. Now wanting to get off or change one med. we’ll see. I struggle mostly with anxiety/panic attacks now. Lemme tell you though, the emotions experienced during PMDd episodes were terrible. I never had the physical symptoms just the mental. Working out is great in the moment or a few moments afterwards but doesn’t help me long term as far as anxiety/depression.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the month. I've never experienced endorphins from exercise either. I exercise anyway because it's a habit and I don't want to feel worse because my calories are too low on top of it... a nice walk outside with some music helps, or just watching a good show while on the treadmill... Anything to get my mind off it!

I do typically spend half the day in bed binging Netflix and crying when it happens though, thankfully it's not every month that I get really depressed (I have a 3 week cycle now so I'm really thankful for that).

For the food, it's all over the place between having no appetite (but still being hungry. I'm always hungry) and starving after eating 3000 calories. Definitely challenging and the pill only made it worse.

You're definitely not alone.