Does any one else get angry??

Options
I’m 4’11” 170lbs have sleep apnea and take medication for anxiety. I find that when I’m doing things like my fitness pal or weight watchers I get angry when I’m looking at the calories or counting points. I do lose the weight if I stick with it, but as soon as I go off I gain it all right back very quickly. I was just wondering if any one else gets extreme anger about tracking.

Replies

• Dreamcrusher16
    Dreamcrusher16 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Nope, im a pass-a-fist....
  • minusmoe
    minusmoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don’t think it’s the tracking that makes me angry I think it’s the fact that I feel restricted.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    If you have been using food as an emotional crutch, those emotions can come bubbling up as you make steps towards getting healthier.

In my case, I tend to turn towards food when I am lonely or frustrated. The lonely has actually been the easier one to deal with: I use the time for meditation and yoga. Frustration is a bit trickier, but I am using what I learn through meditation and yoga to deal with it.

I also spend a lot of time reading and posting on these forums to keep me focused.
  • minusmoe
    minusmoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I never thought I used food as an emotional crutch, but maybe the anger bubbling up suggests that I do.
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I like tracking my calories on MFP; I've found it to be liberating, b/c I'm not thinking about food as often. I plan my meals for the week on Sunday evening (I copy a lot of meals from day to day)...then make adjustments as needed.
  • ITUSGirl51
    ITUSGirl51 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I don’t get angry about it.

No one is forcing me to watch my calories. I have chosen to eat less than my body needs so I can be healthy and fit. When I get to maintenance weight I get to eat 500 calories a day more. I could also choose to eat what I want and get fat again and be miserable. It’s totally up to me.

It’s like other choices in life. I can choose to go to work and earn money or stay home watching TV. I try to make the right choices for a better life.
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,563 Member
    Options
    If I try to restrict too much, then yes.
    I don't like to be hungry. If I blow my cals on high cal low satiety items... I get grumpy because I have to choose between a deficit or hunger.

Hungry makes me hangry. But I sure do love my treats. You see the dilemma.

So... I get it.

For me, the trick is a slower rate of loss, a but more activity, and focusing on better food choices.

This means much less hanger and way less derailment.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I was angry when I was at my highest weight and fearing that people would judge me weak or stupid. There may have been an underlying fear that I would never successfully keep the weight off. I didn’t want to be patronized.

As I started to rack up successes my confidence soared and the anger faded.

First milestone ten pounds off.

Second milestone, 20 minutes on the treadmill.

Turning point, managing to avoid a third slip on the ice due to improved mobility.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you eating a low fat diet? As mentioned above, I'd consider overall calories first (ie are you eating enough?), but you might also want to consider adding more fat. There seems to be a connection to that approach and feeling angry.

PS: In case you're nervous of fats, consider adding more nuts, avocado and olive oil.
  • Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Hangry, yes - I just feel so surprised at how much I used to eat when I log calories. Keep weighing yourself and contacting others here to stay motivated.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get angry that the weight is so slow to come off, even though I feel hungry all the time. It is frustrating.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    ValeriePlz wrote: »
    I sometimes get angry that the weight is so slow to come off, even though I feel hungry all the time. It is frustrating.

@ValeriePlz If you are hungry all the time, have you tried playing with what you are eating? Switching up macros, or more whole foods can help many people feel full longer.
  • SpanishFusion
    SpanishFusion Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I don't get angry, but sometimes I feel discouraged or overwhelmed because I think "Omygosh I have to lose 70# and I'm only going to lose .2# - 1# per week, this is going to take FOREVER! I don't want to be doing this FOREVER! WaaWaaWaa!".

This time around I've tried to take my weight loss in chunks. 10% at a time. When I reach my 10% goals, I take a break. Not an all willy nilly food binge break, but a controlled diet break, where I eat at my maintenance for 2 or so weeks. I'm planning on this coming up 10% to spend a little longer in diet break mode, maybe more like 2 or so months. I want to get accustomed to eating that that current maintenance. That way it gives me a mental break from eating less (I will still be logging however), and it will help me learn how to eat when I do go into my final maintenance...whenever that will be. (heh hem... I've had some good coaches in the diet break thread. :wink: )

This is a process that I remind myself daily that I didn't put it all on at once, I can't expect it to come off all at once. It also helps to tell myself that if I don't keep going, it will just set me back that much more later on down the road.
    Best of luck to you!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    minusmoe wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s the tracking that makes me angry I think it’s the fact that I feel restricted.

Well, let's be honest: you are restricting yourself! It's true!!! And for some reason that makes you angry. So examine that thought.

A better way to re-frame that thought is: I am choosing actions that will make me healthier and happier. No one is going to stop you from making choices that go against your goal. You are free to make any choices you want about eating. You are a full adult in charge of your own choices.

You may have to examine things you may have to sacrifice in order to reach your goals. Losing weight may mean not as much of foods you love. It may mean exercising rather than watching cat videos. It may mean taking the time and attention to scrutinize what you eat and how much. But if you want change, you will have to sacrifice some old behaviors.
  • Katiebear_81
    Katiebear_81 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I get jealous when I see thin people eating a bunch of food I'd like to eat (like a huge burger and fries). I know that I *can* eat those things, but I also know that it effects my goals, etc. I also know that I don't know anything about them, maybe they just ran a marathon, etc. So I'm usually able to talk myself down. But sometimes wrestling with the idea that I'll never be able to just eat with abandon makes me upset. And then I move on, because I don't want to live that way.