Yep, I can still get spooked!

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    It's probably just an increased salt intake. Or periods?

Thanks but it was actually down to the increased workouts - I've been at this long enough to realise it wasn't a sodium/carb or hormonal spike.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2018
    kballsocc wrote: »
    thanks for the update, as a newish maintainer it gives me more faith in trusting in the CICO process

no problem, its strange that after all this time I still can question the process but it does work - we just need to keep the faith :smile:

Have a lovely weekend :smile:

No, it isn't strange at all; I am having the same questions despite being almost certain of what it will take because of loss rate over the last few weeks of losing it versus the calorie goals. I am getting in substantially more steps than I averaged while losing. It all makes sense; in fact I will probably slowly lose a little more with the first maintenance target. But if I see a bounce up, I freak out.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    kballsocc wrote: »
    thanks for the update, as a newish maintainer it gives me more faith in trusting in the CICO process

no problem, its strange that after all this time I still can question the process but it does work - we just need to keep the faith :smile:

Have a lovely weekend :smile:

No, it isn't strange at all; I am having the same questions despite being almost certain of what it will take because of loss rate over the last few weeks of losing it versus the calorie goals. I am getting in substantially more steps than I averaged while losing. It all makes sense; in fact I will probably slowly lose a little more with the first maintenance target. But if I see a bounce up, I freak out.

We need to trust ourselves to maintain and not freak out - I thought I was well past any freak outs... but I will aim to learn from this :smile:
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,746 Member

I would take that comment as a HUGE COMPLEMENT Livingthedream. ROTFLOL Like a few years back when I was getting prenatal vites and the checkout clerk asked me when I was due as I didn't look preggers... ROTFLO

• LivingtheLeanDream
    @CarvedTones I know what you mean, I never want to regain either so it takes being vigilant the majority of the time.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member

Thanks but it was actually down to the increased workouts - I've been at this long enough to realise it wasn't a sodium/carb or hormonal spike.

Ruth, this usually happens to me as well for a week or so after switching up my workout routine. I’ve become used to this now at 5 years of maintaining.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    kpsyche wrote: »
    I noticed that if I when I'm on the scale I stand on only one leg I weigh more. You're standing on both legs, yes?

I've never tried that LOL, always stand on both and as evenly as possible :smiley:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I can relate. I am going through that right now. After 3 years of maintenance, I should know better than to let it mess with my head. But it always does. I am up 3 lbs. from goal, 1.5 from my scream weight. I am working out, I am not overeating cals, etc. I have recently returned from a trip, but the water weight from the plane should be off by now (it's been almost a week since my return), and everything else is back to normal. It just makes no sense, and yet, like Ruth, since I am petite, also, anything that is over my 2 lb. range for more than a few days freaks me out. And yet, I sometimes think that's a good thing for long-time maintainers. We should never get too cocky or too comfortable because that results denial and, eventually, in weight regain. Never going there again. Too many benefits from the loss and the maintenance.

Thanks for your comment, yes it seems we never can get too complacent or cocky. Its good to have weight ranges, mine it +/-3lbs because any more than that is noticeable on my small frame.
    And like you I never want to go back to being heavier again so we have to keep our weight in check and take necessary action.
  • LivingtheLeanDream

Ruth, this usually happens to me as well for a week or so after switching up my workout routine. I’ve become used to this now at 5 years of maintaining.

Good to hear that others have this happen to them too. Thanks :smile:
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    It is really helping me to hear this again about muscles retaining water when you switch things up. I was out of town for 3 months, but even though I walked often, and joined a gym, the equipment was different than what I have at home, so I probably was not working out as hard, and certainly was a ton more active outdoors since the weather was far better than at home. Now I am back, and for a week was unable to get to the gym or do anything outside (super cold!). I went back to the gym this week, worked out at my usual stuff, definitely sweated more than I had at the other gym, and my legs actually do feel a bit achy. The scale says 3 lbs. up, which made no sense to me, but this conversation helped me to notice that achy feeling and remember that it could be water retention from that. At least, I sure hope it is. It ain't calories, for sure. (See that? "I sure hope it is." Back to that freak out we all mentioned!) I have to take a day or so off from the gym and will be interested to see what happens at the scale.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @jrwms714 it just goes to show that a change of workout/routine certainly impacts the scale.
    And you know if you've been logging your calories accurately that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This spike is temporary.

I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen. But the only time I do take a break is when we vacation which always means a little bit more food so I've never seen the reality of a break and how my weight would be affected.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I had a bounce up today, that I know has to be a bounce, but it still bugs me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I had a bounce up today, that I know has to be a bounce, but it still bugs me.

I think it bothers most of us more than it should, shrug it off and forget the number - tomorrow will bring a different story...or the day after....or....
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen.

FYI: I'm actually taking a workout break because I just have 2 days where I can't make it to the gym. So it should be interesting to see what happens. Yesterday was Day 1 and this AM, 1 less pound on the scale, even with going over my TDEE yesterday. So I am starting to breathe again. Oh, how we torture ourselves, eh? But, again, I'm not so sure it isn't smart to be this vigilant. If only we could work on being vigilant without all the accompanying angst!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited April 2018
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen.

FYI: I'm actually taking a workout break because I just have 2 days where I can't make it to the gym. So it should be interesting to see what happens. Yesterday was Day 1 and this AM, 1 less pound on the scale, even with going over my TDEE yesterday. So I am starting to breathe again. Oh, how we torture ourselves, eh? But, again, I'm not so sure it isn't smart to be this vigilant. If only we could work on being vigilant without all the accompanying angst!

Thanks for coming back with your findings, keep us posted in the coming days with how that workout break goes.
    And yes, if only we could stop the angst because the majority of the time it is totally unnecessary /unfounded.

I was away in Edinburgh over the Easter weekend, ate approx 300-500 over my TDEE for 4 days, back to a 400-450 deficit the last 3 days to counteract it so technically another day should see any would be gain tackled - what does the scale say? up 3lbs. I KNOW its water weight along with a teeny tiny gain, say 0.25lb fat. This time my head is in a good place, I wont allow myself any angst for at least another week ...if its not gone by then you can bet your bottom dollar I will be back to rant LOL
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    ps not sure why my comments are appearing inside the box along with yours.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Thanks for sharing!!