Yep, I can still get spooked!

2»

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    I can relate. I am going through that right now. After 3 years of maintenance, I should know better than to let it mess with my head. But it always does. I am up 3 lbs. from goal, 1.5 from my scream weight. I am working out, I am not overeating cals, etc. I have recently returned from a trip, but the water weight from the plane should be off by now (it's been almost a week since my return), and everything else is back to normal. It just makes no sense, and yet, like Ruth, since I am petite, also, anything that is over my 2 lb. range for more than a few days freaks me out. And yet, I sometimes think that's a good thing for long-time maintainers. We should never get too cocky or too comfortable because that results denial and, eventually, in weight regain. Never going there again. Too many benefits from the loss and the maintenance.

Thanks for your comment, yes it seems we never can get too complacent or cocky. Its good to have weight ranges, mine it +/-3lbs because any more than that is noticeable on my small frame.
    And like you I never want to go back to being heavier again so we have to keep our weight in check and take necessary action.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    It's probably just an increased salt intake. Or periods?

Thanks but it was actually down to the increased workouts - I've been at this long enough to realise it wasn't a sodium/carb or hormonal spike.

Ruth, this usually happens to me as well for a week or so after switching up my workout routine. I’ve become used to this now at 5 years of maintaining.

Good to hear that others have this happen to them too. Thanks :smile:
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    It is really helping me to hear this again about muscles retaining water when you switch things up. I was out of town for 3 months, but even though I walked often, and joined a gym, the equipment was different than what I have at home, so I probably was not working out as hard, and certainly was a ton more active outdoors since the weather was far better than at home. Now I am back, and for a week was unable to get to the gym or do anything outside (super cold!). I went back to the gym this week, worked out at my usual stuff, definitely sweated more than I had at the other gym, and my legs actually do feel a bit achy. The scale says 3 lbs. up, which made no sense to me, but this conversation helped me to notice that achy feeling and remember that it could be water retention from that. At least, I sure hope it is. It ain't calories, for sure. (See that? "I sure hope it is." Back to that freak out we all mentioned!) I have to take a day or so off from the gym and will be interested to see what happens at the scale.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @jrwms714 it just goes to show that a change of workout/routine certainly impacts the scale.
    And you know if you've been logging your calories accurately that you have absolutely nothing to worry about. This spike is temporary.

I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen. But the only time I do take a break is when we vacation which always means a little bit more food so I've never seen the reality of a break and how my weight would be affected.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    I had a bounce up today, that I know has to be a bounce, but it still bugs me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I had a bounce up today, that I know has to be a bounce, but it still bugs me.

I think it bothers most of us more than it should, shrug it off and forget the number - tomorrow will bring a different story...or the day after....or....
  • jrwms714
    I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen.

FYI: I'm actually taking a workout break because I just have 2 days where I can't make it to the gym. So it should be interesting to see what happens. Yesterday was Day 1 and this AM, 1 less pound on the scale, even with going over my TDEE yesterday. So I am starting to breathe again. Oh, how we torture ourselves, eh? But, again, I'm not so sure it isn't smart to be this vigilant. If only we could work on being vigilant without all the accompanying angst!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited April 2018
    I've often wondered if I took a week off from workouts what would happen.

FYI: I'm actually taking a workout break because I just have 2 days where I can't make it to the gym. So it should be interesting to see what happens. Yesterday was Day 1 and this AM, 1 less pound on the scale, even with going over my TDEE yesterday. So I am starting to breathe again. Oh, how we torture ourselves, eh? But, again, I'm not so sure it isn't smart to be this vigilant. If only we could work on being vigilant without all the accompanying angst!

Thanks for coming back with your findings, keep us posted in the coming days with how that workout break goes.
    And yes, if only we could stop the angst because the majority of the time it is totally unnecessary /unfounded.

I was away in Edinburgh over the Easter weekend, ate approx 300-500 over my TDEE for 4 days, back to a 400-450 deficit the last 3 days to counteract it so technically another day should see any would be gain tackled - what does the scale say? up 3lbs. I KNOW its water weight along with a teeny tiny gain, say 0.25lb fat. This time my head is in a good place, I wont allow myself any angst for at least another week ...if its not gone by then you can bet your bottom dollar I will be back to rant LOL
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    ps not sure why my comments are appearing inside the box along with yours.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Thanks for sharing!!
  • jrwms714
    Update on days off from gym: Day 1: one pound gone Day 2: Another .5 lb. gone. Back to gym today. Am betting, as we all said, the weight is from water retention in muscles. Now, it doesn't mean that all 3 lbs. are gone, but, as we have been discussing, doing what we need to do to watch calorie consumption, and not freaking out, is probably the best way to go. That's what I am hoping I can do, as the remaining 1.5 go away!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Update on days off from gym: Day 1: one pound gone Day 2: Another .5 lb. gone. Back to gym today. Am betting, as we all said, the weight is from water retention in muscles. Now, it doesn't mean that all 3 lbs. are gone, but, as we have been discussing, doing what we need to do to watch calorie consumption, and not freaking out, is probably the best way to go. That's what I am hoping I can do, as the remaining 1.5 go away!

It's looking good :smile: and yes, no freaking out needed - have faith in the process :smile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Another update, 4 months on....
    I got down to 124lbs before our July Cruise, the abnormal fluctuations calmed down for a while...
    and now its August and I'm back to wild scale readings, 3lbs overnight and then its gone...Oh well, c'est la vie. I'm tracking and I'm doing usual workouts it'll all be fine, but there's always a little niggle that even after all this time that I'm not 'doing it right'!! doh!

@jrwms714 how are you finding your fluctuations lately and did that 1.5 bite the dust? :smile:
  • competeagain
    competeagain Posts: 770 Member
    I lost 7 pounds over a 36 hour period last week
    Fluctuations are normal
    I still get amazed at it though!!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    I lost 7 pounds over a 36 hour period last week
    Fluctuations are normal
    I still get amazed at it though!!

Oh I know well they're normal but they weren't my normal, normally it was no more than 1 to 2lbs and that's for the past 6 years too.
    Our bodies can continue to surprise us.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,152 Member
    @LivingtheLeanDream
    Thank you for your posts. They are very important & will greatly help the rest of us.
    Much appreciated.
  • jrwms714
    @LivingtheLeanDream, thanks for checking in about my fluctuations. It's hard to answer because I just got back from 6 weeks at our vacation place where I am always so active that my weight drops and doesn't fluctuate much, which is not a real situation. The next few weeks will tell the tale for me now that I am home, once the bloat from the airplane ride subsides, and I get back to the gym ... always a lot of jet lag and no gym right away when I am gone this long and used to the time zone that is not this one! Like you, I have been on maintenance for a while and am also a petite (5'0"), so even 3 lbs. up is enough to make me nervous, even when I know the journey well.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    @jrwms714 oh I know 3lbs does mean a lot for us petites, it sounds like you have a good handle on it though. Your 6 weeks vacation sounded fab :smile:
  • jrwms714
    It was great! And it’s always good to be some place that easily accommodates healthy eating and where everyone is active. Great for maintenance.
  • krael65
    krael65 Posts: 306 Member
    I know this is an older thread, but I'm experiencing similar. I've been maintaining for 2 years, and am used to normal fluctuations. However, for the past three months my 'hover' weight has been up about 4 pounds, now at the top of my comfortable range. I am short, in my 50s, and in peri-menopause. In spite of eating at a deficit, I can't seem to lose the extra pounds. I used to be able to pinpoint cyclical water weight gain and ride it out. Now my cycle is so erratic, it feels like I gain water weight, but it never sheds (since my period just doesn't happen that particular month.)

Of course I will revisit my tracking to make sure I'm being diligent... but have any other peri-menopausal women experienced this? I guess I'm just frustrated, a little scared, and just wanted to vent. I don't want my weight to continue creeping up! Where's my whoosh! :smile:
  • jrwms714
    Old posts are still relevant and since I am the OP, it's nice to see that. Perimenopause, like menopause, can cause weight gain. Your hormones, as you know all too well, are fluctuating and unpredictable. But it is possible to avoid the gain ... I am 'way past menopause and have lost 40 lbs. (on a 5'0" frame) and kept it off for 4 years. A friend sent me a great article years ago, and I will give you the link here. Hope this helps. It's old, but, like your post, still relevant, I think. https://www.huffingtonpost.com/staness-jonekos/menopausal-weight-gain-ho_b_9558470.html
    Don't give up!