54 years old and time for changes...

Greetings! I've been putting on weight over the last couple of years. Most of my life I've been over-weight, but a few times in there I was in real good shape. I was at the Doctor yesterday for a follow-up and my blood pressure is up, my glucose is up and I haven't been feeling great. Time for a change! My diet has been horrible! I love to eat, I eat to deal with depression etc...you've all heard many different reasons for not taking care of our bodies. I'm not sure how I'm going to do this, but I am going to get into shape and through the advice of a friend, I ended up here first. I just want to feel good physically and mentally. I look forward to making friends here as we share our journeys together...Greg

Replies

• BisKal
    BisKal Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2018
    Hi Greg, I feel like your post could be mine. I haven't been taking care of myself either and can definitely relate to emotional eating as well as loving food. I want my numbers down, I want to be off meds and I really want to feel better about myself--as you put it, physically AND mentally. We CAN do this. One meal, one walk, one day at a time is my mantra for the six weeks (until my next blood test! hahaha). But if I can do this for the next 6 weeks, I know I can do it for life! One meal, one walk, one day.
  • gelindwall
    gelindwall Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, great to hear from you. I made it through day one and am feeling pretty good. I'm with you, one meal, one walk, one day. Hope you are well, and keep up the good work!
  • Normi2018
    Normi2018 Posts: 1 Member
    Hi. I'm 58 & at my heaviest weight in my life. I'm also an emotional eater. I just keep thinking about the future & how I want to have a quality life with my grandbabies! We can do this!
  • jaycanchu
    jaycanchu Posts: 265 Member
    You are heading in the right direction. I’m diabetic, and though undiagnosed, I do believe I suffer from depression.
    Since I’ve been working out, watching my diet, it has helped with the depression, and my overall shape. I’ve actually gained 5 pounds, but when I look in the mirror, it’s a whole different person looking back. Physically and mentally.