Can I tone/build my behind with 200lb dumbbells?

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
edited March 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Or do I need barbells? I have been looking for a small solution for my tiny apartment with my three kids and something I can store. I found dumbbells that as a set are 200lbs. I mainly want to work on my glutes and abdomen for now and I am going to work my way up to eventually trying to build muscle in those areas but it will be a while. Still losing now I'm about 160lbs 5'4" female 28 and out of shape. Would I be able to do any exercises to work my glutes or abdominal region with these weights? I would prefer barbells but I need to be able to workout at home because two of my kids have autism and are nonverbal plus I am in college fulltime and soon working part time and have no car...so at home is ideal. Opinions or ideas on how I could work with them? I'm not trying to be a body builder but I'd like to eventually firm my booty and define my abdomen (I am aware this will take months and or years of effort but I'm wondering if this set could help me start?). I've been using a kettlebell just doing basic squats and arm exercises to get used to any weight and I'm trying to move up to something that will work now and as my body gains a bit more strength. I have posted about this before but I am specifically wondering about working those two areas and I finally found a set I like and could store at home without difficulty...

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Can you lift a 200 lb DB?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

I can't even do that. Let alone train effectively with one.

Either OP didn't describe it properly or she has no idea how much 200lbs is.

• CricketClover
    CricketClover Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Verity1111 wrote: »
    I found dumbbells that as a set are 200lbs.

The OP says that as a set they are 200lbs. So I am sure that it isn't just a 200lb DB or probably not even two 100lb DBs.

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    But no OP you cannot tone using those weights. You however can. Reduce fat stores in order to more efficiently reveal the underlying muscle. Which is what toning is for a lack of a better description. You can build muscle though. But you'll need to target the muscle groups through exercise and eat in a caloric surplus. Thus gaining fat and muscle.

No there is no way around it. I've been training for years. Experimenting with different macros. Levels of exercise and supplements. It's about CICO. And CICO only.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Do you mean 200lb total? So they go up to 200lbs in a set? Not like, 100lb each right?

I would look into a program like Strong Curves. There is an at home bodyweight program, there is also the beginner program that uses mostly dumbbells to start, and even if you don't have a barbell you can easily make substitutions, hip thrusts with dumbbell aren't the most comfortable, but they are pretty good (you may have to increase the rep range a bit though). Having a small bench would also be helpful too. Resistance bands are great. At some point you may want to get a barbell. Depending on how much space you have, I have a small 4' barbell which I like. I don't use it for ultra heavy stuff, but it is great for glute bridges, single-leg deadlifts and overhead press.

Oh and to add, just make sure you are progressing over time... with weight, reps, etc. That will be the key to muscle retention. As well as adequate protein (0.8-1g per lb lean body mass or goal weight)

"One Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells Kits - 200 Lbs (100lbs X 2pc)"
    I tried to find a small barbell but all I saw was 6' and 7' :/ I am a tiny AND clumsy human. I am 5'4". Something bigger than me is a bad idea. I need to try to find that.... (4' bar). But thank you for the input!!!
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    what are you planning on doing with a set 200 lb dumbbells??? get a bar bell if you are gonna go heavy like that.

Can't fit a huge barbell and large weights anywhere. My apartment is TINY. I literally have no space whatsoever and things overflowing into other rooms type of crowded. There's no pantry little closet space 5 people in a 2 bedroom basement. I can't fit big weights where the kids cant get them I should say!
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »

I can't even do that. Let alone train effectively with one.

Either OP didn't describe it properly or she has no idea how much 200lbs is.

It's 100lbs each and they can change.

https://www.amazon.com/One-Pair-Adjustable-Dumbbells-Kits/dp/B0087T8UOE

Sorry I posted this in a car while in the passenger seat and on my way to pick up my kid lol whoops bad discription. "One Pair of Adjustable Dumbbells Kits - 200 Lbs (100lbs X 2pc)"
  • Verity1111
    Options
    I found dumbbells that as a set are 200lbs.

The OP says that as a set they are 200lbs. So I am sure that it isn't just a 200lb DB or probably not even two 100lb DBs.
    Thanks for clarifying for me to them. Yes! It is adjustable! :)
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Options
    But no OP you cannot tone using those weights. You however can. Reduce fat stores in order to more efficiently reveal the underlying muscle. Which is what toning is for a lack of a better description. You can build muscle though. But you'll need to target the muscle groups through exercise and eat in a caloric surplus. Thus gaining fat and muscle.

No there is no way around it. I've been training for years. Experimenting with different macros. Levels of exercise and supplements. It's about CICO. And CICO only.

Works for me :) But it will be easier to maintain the muscle I have if I lift won't it? As I lose the rest of my weight? and then I can build up later? At least that is what I am aiming to do so hopefully lol! Thank you for explaining. Yeah I am very torn on where I want my macros.
  • Verity1111
    edited March 2018
    Options
    You can tone / build your behind just by doing body weight squats and lunges... so adding a dumbbell into each hand is definitely going to help that even further (and require less reps to achieve the same end). Bulgarian split squats work wonders (if you have the balance).

The barbell works great for much heavier weights, but you need to work with what you've got / can afford... so have at er!

eta.. I really hate the word "tone"... I'm just quoting the author! lol

LOL. I don't know why tone is a hated word. It has no other meaning I know of so why does it confuse people? It just means to me to have a lower body fat % than I did before in comparison to muscle or to allow my muscles to show better but the word tone is so much shorter! lol. Im not trying to be a traner here haha. But my balance and flexibility is good if Im not moving too much LOL. Just dont ask me to run because I will likely trip and fall on my face....I wish I could say it is because of the screws in my ankle but sadly its always been that way. But standing, posing, basic exercises and even dancing are ok. Just dont ask me to go from point A to point B because if I move more than 5 feet somethings getting stubbed. lol
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options

Works for me :) But it will be easier to maintain the muscle I have if I lift won't it? As I lose the rest of my weight? and then I can build up later? At least that is what I am aiming to do so hopefully lol! Thank you for explaining. Yeah I am very torn on where I want my macros.

Yup I would definitely lift to help maintain muscle. You may be able to build some in a deficit, otherwise you can see where you are when you get closer to goal and either recomp or bulk (depending on your goals of course).

For macros, just sure your protein is 0.8-1g per lb lean mass or goal weight, fat is around 0.3-0.6g per lb goal weight and carbs the rest. These are minimums so you can adjust as necessary.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

Yup I would definitely lift to help maintain muscle. You may be able to build some in a deficit, otherwise you can see where you are when you get closer to goal and either recomp or bulk (depending on your goals of course).

For macros, just sure your protein is 0.8-1g per lb lean mass or goal weight, fat is around 0.3-0.6g per lb goal weight and carbs the rest. These are minimums so you can adjust as necessary.

Thanks so much! .8g for lean mass or goal is WAYY easier than per lb when Im dieting and people often say per lb total. I am between 160-170lbs depending on the scale and as a vegetarian I struggle to get anywhere near 130g per day while dieting... my goal is to end up between 115-130lbs. 90-115g would be way more reasonable for me.