Death and divorce

Options
It’s been a rough couple of months. I filed for divorce last month and yesterday my Dad died. I have lost 27 lbs and like my progress but lately comfort food is glaring at me. I know I’ll be even more upset if I start gaining weight back. Anyone out there that can relate and what did you do to push past this? Thanks in advance. ❤️❤️❤️

Replies

• XxQueenMxX
    XxQueenMxX Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I can't relate, and I'm so sorry for your loss!!

But I think its okay to have a little of what you crave IF you really want it. Not a good thing to overeat and then feel worse after. I think just try to take easy and dont stress too much about food right now. Take the time necessary to grieve, and congrats on your weight loss, it is a great feeling.
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Ready2befithealthy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    XxQueenMxX wrote: »
    I can't relate, and I'm so sorry for your loss!!

But I think its okay to have a little of what you crave IF you really want it. Not a good thing to overeat and then feel worse after. I think just try to take easy and dont stress too much about food right now. Take the time necessary to grieve, and congrats on your weight loss, it is a great feeling.

Thanks girl. It’s been an emotional roller coaster. I just don’t want to backslide into where I was. I’ve worked too hard to get to where I am.
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Ready2befithealthy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I think routine can be really helpful in situations like yours. I am sorry you are going through so much recently. I've been through divorce, moves, job changes, and a tornado destroying my former home and lost a lot of weight and I feel tracking my food on MFP has been almost like a comfort during several phases. If you stay on track and allow SOME comfort food as part of your moderate eating you should be good to go.

Lost your home?! I’m so sorry honey. We all have our things right? Well thanks for telling me to give myself grace. I need to be good about that.
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Girl, I am so sorry. I wish I had words of comfort, but just know I am thinking about ya and sending healing energy your way.
  • kathleenneriducharme
    kathleenneriducharme Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I lost both my parents last year and gave in to emotional and stress eating. I have just started to try and lose the 12 pounds I gained during that time. I wish I had stayed more focused on my own health. Stay the course and take your emotions out on your workouts. Peace.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry your going thru this. Take it one day ( or minute!) At a time, and take care of you!! Prayers...
  • Ready2befithealthy
    Options
    You all are so kind. It's nice to see that you all can relate and a lot of you have had significant loss. You are all strong and time has helped me tremendously. I trip up from time to time but my weight loss has been pretty steady. I appreciate it. Seriously strong people <3
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through so much. If staying on track is too hard go to maintenance for a couple weeks until you get through the worst of the family stuff. The divorce is going to take a while to adjust to but if you at least stick to maintenance calories you won't gain and it gives your body a break without destroying the progress you've made. Hang in there.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I almost got divorced once, it's a terrible experience. I found solace and relief (endorphins I guess) in cardio exercise (running for me). It also helps with weight goals.