5:2 thoughts...does anyone know if it's right?

Options
Ok, so I've been doing 5:2 since christmas..not for the magical properties, but to save up calories for the weekends. It has worked fine so far, my weight is dropping slowly so no complaints.

But I seem to be able to eat less in one sitting than I used to. I prelog my food like so many people do..so friday morning I start prelogging all the delicious stuff I'll be having (2000-2500 kcal depending on excercise) doing the day...I'll do my best, but the last weeks I've had to change the loggings in the evening, because I cannot consume all the chips and redwine after a big meal.

like I said, I'm not complaining, but can I really have stumpled upon a nice sideeffect here?

Replies

• RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you losing weight faster because of it? If you are then I would reassess if this method.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing weight too fast...so far I've lost 4 kg..which is fine since we have 10 birthdays in the family in january, and I only need to lose 8 kgs more...it's taken me 20 years to become slowly overweight, so if it takes me 1-2 years to lose it's thats fine..as long as I dont gain weight:)
    It's just an observation ..or a thought...I rarely see people mention that as a sideeffect (bonus?) of a fad diet
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing weight too fast...so far I've lost 4 kg..which is fine since we have 10 birthdays in the family in january, and I only need to lose 8 kgs more...it's taken me 20 years to become slowly overweight, so if it takes me 1-2 years to lose it's thats fine..as long as I dont gain weight:)
    It's just an observation ..or a thought...I rarely see people mention that as a sideeffect (bonus?) of a fad diet

Wow! Yum!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    It could be that you are having an off week or two with eating and as long as you are losing weight in healthy and at a reasonable rate it all good. I personally do not think being able to not eat all your calories or not being hungry a bonus, losing weight faster is not necessarily a good thing.. it all comes down to balance.

I don't consider this a fad diet, but rather an eating strategy to eat all the required calories (weekly) to adhere to a calorie deficit to lose weight.

My husband did 5:2 for 3 years during his weight loss and he never had any side effects from it.
  • rikkejohnsenrij
    rikkejohnsenrij Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm just worried that my mum will be disapponted if I can all eat all 10+ dishes tomorrow at our annual easter lunch ;)
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I eat similarly and have absolutely found that it helps control my appetite. I have no idea if it’s psychological or not, but I find it to be a pretty nifty side-benefit. I think so long as you’re careful with your nutrition it’s a perfectly fine way to eat. I think the standard 5:2 protocol is five maintenance days and two very low calorie, while I do the reverse, which sounds like what you’re doing, and usually low days range from net 1200-1600. Every so often I go a week or two without a higher calorie day and I definitely notice that I get increasingly hungrier the more days in a row I’m at that deficit.