What device do you recommend to count steps?

Options
I have cycled through two fitbits which both broke. (The company was great and sent a replacement but that one broke too.). I use a Polar heart rate monitor when I work out and like it. I don't want to sync anything up to MFP I just want something to keep track of my steps so that I stay in the lightly active category every day. I don't always have my phone on me so that won't work either. Thanks for the help.

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If you don’t want to sync it with MFP, just get a basic pedometer
  • ladybug4233
    ladybug4233 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of getting a pedometer but not sure which one. A lot on Amazon don't have great reviews.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Misfit or Garmin.

If you want something discreet and accurate, go with an early model misfit.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

I like this one a lot. Do you find it records your steps accurately?
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Misfit or Garmin.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a little more than I want to spend.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    I just use an app on my Android phone. It's called just that - Pedometer. LOL! It's accurate enough for my needs.

I assume there are similar apps available on iPhone.

I also use MapMyHike and MyMyWalk to count steps and track my hikes/walk. They are a bit more accurate than the pedometer app because they make use of GPS.

There are versions of these apps on iPhone too.

• stanmann571
    Options
    Misfit or Garmin.

You can get a shine or a ray for between 30 and 50 dollars. Not sure what your budget is, but if it's less than that. You'll do better just using your phone.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Misfit or Garmin.

You can get a shine or a ray for between 30 and 50 dollars. Not sure what your budget is, but if it's less than that. You'll do better just using your phone.

Thanks for the information. The ones I was looking at were $80 or more.

• stanmann571
    Options
    Check amazon or Ebay. Check for reputable sellers and ensure that the device is either NOS(New old Stock) or has been properly deregistered. If you can find the Speedo Shine(gen 1) it has an additional safety clip that solves some issues with band and device security
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    I use my phone.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

It seems pretty accurate if I am moving back, forward or from side to side. It doesn't record steps when I walk in place unless I am really more jogging in place. It does not start to record until you take a certain number of steps... 13 I think but then adds those steps.
    The clip is pretty secure and tight even after a year of daily use. I just recently had to replace the battery.
  • ladybug4233
    Options

It seems pretty accurate if I am moving back, forward or from side to side. It doesn't record steps when I walk in place unless I am really more jogging in place. It does not start to record until you take a certain number of steps... 13 I think but then adds those steps.
    The clip is pretty secure and tight even after a year of daily use. I just recently had to replace the battery.

Thank you.
  • ladybug4233
    Options
    Check amazon or Ebay. Check for reputable sellers and ensure that the device is either NOS(New old Stock) or has been properly deregistered. If you can find the Speedo Shine(gen 1) it has an additional safety clip that solves some issues with band and device security

Found one on eBay for $16 for free shipping!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I also use my phone. It's a samsung so I use samsung health that came installed
  • ocnldy
    ocnldy Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I use a misfit shine. I have tried other cheap smart watches but ended up going back to my shine. Its accurate, not bulky and I paid 30.00 for it from Staples a couple years ago so I am sure you can find one inexpensively.
    I chose the Misfit because it worked with MFP, was waterproof, and has a changeable battery.
  • stanmann571
    Options
    ocnldy wrote: »
    I use a misfit shine. I have tried other cheap smart watches but ended up going back to my shine. Its accurate, not bulky and I paid 30.00 for it from Staples a couple years ago so I am sure you can find one inexpensively.
    I chose the Misfit because it worked with MFP, was waterproof, and has a changeable battery.

That's why I still use mine. I do have a Vivoactive 1(no HR) that I picked up at Amazon Refurbed... I picked up several more from Target at radical clearance for friends and family.

But if you don't need GPS, the Shine is pretty bulletproof.