Cubital Tunnel Syndrome and Running

Options
Hi, just wondering if anyone suffers from this, and whether anyone experiences symptoms of it when running. I’ve just recently taken up running (doing couch to 5k) and found that even running a short distance makes my ring and pinkie finger in both hands tingle and feel numb which is really distracting. I get it usually when I sleep if my arms are bent and elbows pressed against the mattress (every night), or if I’m leaning my elbows on a solid surface, but I’ve never experienced it without any physical compression against my elbows before. I could try running like Phoebe Buffay (arms flailing!!) but I’d rather not draw that much attention to myself! Anyone know anything I can try to reduce or eliminate this symptom when I’m running?

Replies

• MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I only get the fat/tingly fingers when I walk, not when I run or do any other kind of exercise. I often wonder if it's related to hand/heart level.
  • gcconroy29
    gcconroy29 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The picture of Phoebe Buffay running is just what I needed this morning. Thank you.

I was getting that on my right hand, I wasn't running at the time, but during other cardio. I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in my neck, went through all sorts of PT for it. I was never convinced that was the cause of the numbness (I always woke up with a dead hand).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    For me,

Proper hydration helps(not too much or too little) too much is almost worse it seems.

And unlocking my shoulders/elbows. Not the full flail, but relaxing and occasionally putting my arms/hands overhead.
  • ThinGoldLineNS
    ThinGoldLineNS Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I have this happen to my feet whenever I use an elliptical trainer. I noticed yesterday that it started in my right foot towards the end of my run session. I've read that it's normal and eventually goes away. We'll see...
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to add a lot of pec stretches to your routine. During warmup, cool down, multiple times during your day if you can work it in quickly. The nerves supplying the arm run under the clavicle and can bring on those symptoms when the pecs are too tight. I am not arguing that it stems from the elbow, just adding another possible trigger to think through. Make sure your chest is not caved forward and in while running, and focus on relaxed, natural arm posture. Aside from those small cues, go talk to a Physio if you can’t correct it after a few tries. That has got to be uncomfortable!
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    My first suggestion would be to add a lot of pec stretches to your routine. During warmup, cool down, multiple times during your day if you can work it in quickly. The nerves supplying the arm run under the clavicle and can bring on those symptoms when the pecs are too tight. I am not arguing that it stems from the elbow, just adding another possible trigger to think through. Make sure your chest is not caved forward and in while running, and focus on relaxed, natural arm posture. Aside from those small cues, go talk to a Physio if you can’t correct it after a few tries. That has got to be uncomfortable!

Thank you for this, my friend just said something similar, to make sure my chest stays open when I’m running, and to make sure my arms are moving forward and backward rather than across my front etc. I’ll make a conscious effort to make sure I keep my shoulders back and relax it. I’ll report back! Thank you!
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    I've never heard the term "cubital tunnel syndrome", not sure about it. I would consider gcconroy's point about cervical disk bulge. I had a disk bulge in C6-C7 which cause me pain in my should blade (rusty fork stab in the back!) and occasional numbness in the hand. You may have a bulge up one (C5-C6) causing numbness in part of your hand (those two fingers is a telltale). Running or sleeping position could be aggravating it. I had a cervical fusion to fix mine--worked great. An MRI will provide the answer.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    mulecanter wrote: »
    I've never heard the term "cubital tunnel syndrome", not sure about it. I would consider gcconroy's point about cervical disk bulge. I had a disk bulge in C6-C7 which cause me pain in my should blade (rusty fork stab in the back!) and occasional numbness in the hand. You may have a bulge up one (C5-C6) causing numbness in part of your hand (those two fingers is a telltale). Running or sleeping position could be aggravating it. I had a cervical fusion to fix mine--worked great. An MRI will provide the answer.

Google is your friend.
    http://www.assh.org/handcare/hand-arm-conditions/cubital-tunnel
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Hang your arms straight down and shake them out every once in a while over the course of the run and then tense and loosen your shoulders before resuming a normal running form.

It admittedly looks a bit silly but it helps to keep your upper body loose and relieves some of the fatigue from having your arms in the same position for an extended period of time.

Also, you might want to see if carrying your arms a little lower while you run helps. You'll always revert back to your 'native' form but getting used to carrying your arms in different positions once in a while helps. If you normally carry them with a >90 degree bend at the elbow, try reducing that every now and then.
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thank you all! Looks like I’ll be throwing some shapes while I run! Very good advice, much appreciated. :)
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    mazcor536 wrote: »
    I get it usually when I sleep if my arms are bent and elbows pressed against the mattress (every night)

That might be making you more prone to problems while running, so try sleeping with an elastic elbow sleeve from any pharmacy, to keep your elbow from bending too tightly. And when typing at a computer, sit farther back so your elbows are a little straighter. :+1: