Any advice for maintaining diet while living with a host family?

Options
Ducks47
Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
I will be staying with a host family in A country known for a delicious fried and sweet cuisine. I want to maintain my weight loss and continue losing but am worried because I'm not sure I can safely jog there (I'm there for my job this summer) but will try to kindly ask and will not have control over my food as I will be staying with people. It is for two months. Does anyone have any tips? It is govig me a lot of anxiety. I can't not go as it is my work.

Replies

• CaptainFantastic01
    CaptainFantastic01 Posts: 9,557 Member
    Options
    Just hit that portion control
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    be sure to pack a jump rope - plenty of cardio calorie burn in the privacy and safety of your room, backyard, etc.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    While portion control in theory would work, if the family is eating foods you find unfilling that might not help.

When I visit family, I end up bringing oatmeal and pb for breakfast and lots of protein bars, because the rest of my family eats mostly carbs and very low on veggies and protein.

If you are living with the host family, going along with the grocery store to buy your own food could work.

I rented a room in an apartment from a family for the summer for work once and decided that I would cook and buy all my own food. I think the host family found it a bit strange for the first couple of days, but given the difference in work schedules I think it ended up working out for the best.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    Count your calories by logging on MFP. Make sure to hit your Calorie goal every day.
  • RadishEater
    RadishEater Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Also I can understand how this might feel like it is true "will not have control over my food as I will be staying with people", but you ALWAYS have control over your own food. Just say it is a weird "insert nationality" trait.
  • Kathryn247
    Kathryn247 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I would be interested to know if the host family is overweight. If so, then yes it might be awkward to say "no" to how they eat. If they aren't, it could be a great learning opportunity to find out how they stay fit in a country known for sweet and fried food.
    Are you American? I am, and given the reputation I think Americans have, your host family might expect Americans to want to eat a lot. I'd say try to guide their expectations of what you want to eat up front, and hopefully they'll be willing to support you.
    Also, I wouldn't miss the opportunity to try awesome, local, ethnic food even if it slowed my weight loss plans a little bit!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    I will be staying with a host family in A country known for a delicious fried and sweet cuisine. I want to maintain my weight loss and continue losing but am worried because I'm not sure I can safely jog there (I'm there for my job this summer) but will try to kindly ask and will not have control over my food as I will be staying with people. It is for two months. Does anyone have any tips? It is govig me a lot of anxiety. I can't not go as it is my work.

Which country is it?
  • Ducks47
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »

Which country is it?

Indonesia
  • Ducks47
    Options
    I ended up having to order tea without sugar as it’s always with the sugar. I tried a lot of new foods. Ate a lot of rice as organ meat.