How do I drink more water?

2»

Replies

• novicedemons2012
    novicedemons2012 Posts: 5 Member
    I add slices of cucumber to my water, sometimes slices or ginger root or lime. Lately I have started using soda stream to take my tap water and carbonate it! I drink even more water now.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I set myself small goals, I try to drink 32oz before lunch and 32oz after lunch while at work, and then an additional 16oz at home before i go to sleep.

I've actually gotten up to 42oz before lunch, 16oz after lunch, and 16 oz when I get home. I'm at 80oz a day.

This is exactly what I do. I act like it's part of my job when I'm at work, as silly as that might sound.

• fourhappypaws
    fourhappypaws Posts: 5 Member
    I *always* have a cold (or hot) water bottle...got into the habit in southern CA. Need need need water...for health, and to look better! I've heard some put a little hot sauce helps get the water down...I really like lemon and lime. Am goiing to try some other spices...no more salt!
  • JoyceMoul
    JoyceMoul Posts: 8 Member
    I buy 16 oz bottles of water. In the morning I sit 4 bottles of it beside my recliner. I drink on and off. By the end of the day, it's all gone and I've had my 8 cups.
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    I work on the one out one in principle ... every time I go to the toilet I follow it up with chugging a pint of water.

Its an easy way to drink more and forces you to get up from your desk every hour
  • katie1234
    katie1234 Posts: 74 Member
    I find water so boring and unpalatable, so I drink a lot of herbal teas - green tea with mint and peppermint are my favourite. I could easily drink five or six mugs by the end of the working day, which is over 40oz and then I'll try and drink plain water with meals.
  • Cmmitchell24
    Cmmitchell24 Posts: 1 Member
    Any tips on how to switch from Coke to water? Tried many times but I always flop. (I am up to about 5 cokes a day and i am just frustrated)
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Any tips on how to switch from Coke to water? Tried many times but I always flop. (I am up to about 5 cokes a day and i am just frustrated)

Just do diet for a while, or try the caffeinated MIO/Crystal lite.

If regular coke fits into your calorie allowance don't worry about it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Diet Pepsi for the win.

Srsly, I have a glass of water on waking, carry another around with me for the day, and another in the evening.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    katie1234 wrote: »

Disagree strongly. There is no way 5 cokes a day can fit into the calorie allowance of anyone genuinely trying to lose weight. Even one is an absolute ton of sugar. And diet is gross - in terms of taste and what they put into it to make it taste like real coke's weird cousin.

In the words of Nike, just do it.

One day at a time, say to yourself 'I'm not drinking soda today'. Remind yourself constantly of what your health goals and weightloss goals are. Visualize yourself at your goal weight. Picture the clothes you'll buy. Which matters more to you in this moment - that, or the coke?

Then distract yourself with something else.

Yes, and then the caffeine withdrawal hits.

Just go with diet. There's nothing gross about it.
  • ashxtasticness
    ashxtasticness Posts: 160 Member
    I have found that I do best when I use a 32 oz + container and use a straw to drink with. Don't ask me why the straw helps, but it really does for me!
  • kt9052
    kt9052 Posts: 17 Member
    I have 2 water bottles that both hold 1 liter. I drink one in the morning before noon ( this one is usually flavored with lemon/crystal light etc) by lunch time I get my second one from the fridge at work ( I drink this one plain) and make sure I finish it before I leave at 4:30! I was horrible at drinking water but this method has been successful for me and has become a habit.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,443 Member
    edited April 2018

Disagree strongly. There is no way 5 cokes a day can fit into the calorie allowance of anyone genuinely trying to lose weight. Even one is an absolute ton of sugar. And diet is gross - in terms of taste and what they put into it to make it taste like real coke's weird cousin.

One day at a time, say to yourself 'I'm not drinking soda today'. Remind yourself constantly of what your health goals and weightloss goals are. Visualize yourself at your goal weight. Picture the clothes you'll buy. Which matters more to you in this moment - that, or the coke?

Yes, and then the caffeine withdrawal hits.

Just go with diet. There's nothing gross about it.

Technically, go with the Coke Zero...

Everybody is different, and will need different tools to solve their problem. Some can go cold turkey. Some can't. Some don't mind the taste of Diet Coke (or Coke Zero, which is WAY better, IMO). Some do.

Caffeine withdrawal will be serious, if someone is drinking 5 Cokes a day. Cold turkey will be very, very harsh.

My opinion is Coke Zero, FTW. Then start replacing one Coke Zero per day with water. Once that is an ingrained habit, replace two. Rinse and repeat.

There is nothing wrong with diet sodas and using them to reduce overall calories is typically a good strategy.
  • llstjohn45
    llstjohn45 Posts: 8 Member
    If I don't drink enough water, I get awful cramps in my arms, fingers and legs. Plain water is boring so I add a little tube of flavored powder to it. I keep a 32 oz insulated cup filled with ice and flavored water close at hand at all times so my daily water intake is enough to prevent the cramps.
  • shirley8457
    shirley8457 Posts: 4 Member
    I actually hate plain water, in fact it often gives me indigestion. But you don't have to think about just plain water. Try plain carbonated waterrrr, and drink will count. I like hot tea and coffee. If it's really hard for you to remember, set a timer (alarm clock/cell phone) for every 2 hours and be sure to drink something when it goes off. :wink: Peace
  • msgillette4290
    msgillette4290 Posts: 1 Member
    Water is so important we all know that. I drink an ounce of water for every pound I weigh a day. So for me right now, 221 ounces. I have found it helps with curbing my appetite. I also keep a refillable water bottle with me at all times. There was a time where I was bringing a gallon jug with me with little encouraging sayings and that helped too.. Side note my skin looks amazing drinking so much water
  • JuliaJWOWW
    JuliaJWOWW Posts: 20 Member
    I struggle with drinking water too. I need some kind of flavor in the water in order for me to drink enough. Otherwise I can sip a little at a time. But I’m gonna start carrying around a water bottle and drink it in my college classes
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited April 2018
    I don't consciously try to drink more water, I just tend to drink when I'm thirsty but...

I always have water within reach. Just having water right there at all times means I'll end up drinking more naturally

I switched to a bigger bottle. I used to have a 500ml water bottle. Now I have a 1L. Having more water seems to encourage me to naturally drink more often.

The biggest one though is to get a bottle with a straw. This was huge for me. When you drink out of a cup or regular bottle, unless you chug, you'll tend to take a mouthful at a time. With a straw you'll gulp down the water in a steady stream. A bottle with a jet nozzle also works but I think the bottles with straws are more effective.