Do I eat enough protein? Should I get a protein powder?

Options
For breakfast I have oatmeal with a little milk and tablespoon of peanut butter

Lunch might be soup with veg and chicken, bean and veg tacos, salad, or perogie

Dinner might be some seasoned lean ground beef (180 cal of ground beef... if that helps) with veg and brown rice or no sugar corn bread with two eggs and veg.

Someone told me they don't think I est enough protein. They're not an expert though so I wanted a second opinion. Usually two of my meals happen to be vegetarian (eggs or beans and veg and grain). Considering buying a protein powder like bobs red mill. Seems weird to me but I guess it's like taking a vitamin.

Replies

• sschauer513
    sschauer513 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    what's your weight and what's your goal losing / maintaining / bulking? If your logging how many grams protein are you hitting the recommended is .8-1.2g per lb of bodyweight unless really overweight.
  • Ducks47
    Ducks47 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'6 or 5'7 woman in my 20s. I weigh 190 pounds and am trying to get down to 160. I don't log my food. I just don't snack and add my food up myself and write me weight in a journal weekly. I'm not sure how to tell if I eat enough protein
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    How many grams of protein are you getting? How active are you and what do those activities include? There are many variables as to one's protein needs.

In general it is considered optimal to have a higher protein target while dieting in order to help preserve muscle. I typically have around 0.6 - 0.8 grams per Lb of my body weight...so anywhere from 110 - about 145 grams...usually somewhere in the middle.

I also eat a lot of fish and chicken though...
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    unlock your diary
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Firstly, start logging you food so that you have an idea of how much protein you are getting. Secondly, if you're concerned about your protein intake, add a protein source to every meal.

That is, of course, brilliant. The woobirds are not to be heeded. Even though your post has not been woo'ed yet, I'm predicting it will be. This is only a test.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »
    Hi! I am 5'6 or 5'7 woman in my 20s. I weigh 190 pounds and am trying to get down to 160. I don't log my food. I just don't snack and add my food up myself and write me weight in a journal weekly. I'm not sure how to tell if I eat enough protein

Since you don't give amounts and don't log your food it is hard to answer.
    You don't likely need protein powder even if you do need more protein.
    Log your food for a week or two as accurately as you can and see if you are getting enough.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Log what you eat exactly for three days.

This will give you a average of what your protien intake is.

If you are incorporating resistance training to help retain muscle, the guideline for optimal results is a gram of protien for every pound you weigh for a person who is not obese. Being less male, advanced age, having a autoimmune disease or digestion problems, or being vegan/ vegetarian you might néed a tad more.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Ducks47 wrote: »

Log your food?

Agreed. Log your food, either by hand or use the free diary MFP gives you (easier). Bout the only way.