Alcohol Consumption

sstout02
sstout02 Posts: 65 Member
edited March 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello guys and gals,

How do you guys stay on track when you want to drink!? Especially wine? Who really drinks one glass of wine..and how do you recover from those cals.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Log it, drink it... a glass of wine is no big deal...
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    I have a really nice gin and tonic lined up for 5pm. I drink the good stuff, no crappy booze, and I drink less. Stopping after two is manageable for me. I log and move on. Today I did circuit training for an hour, then walked 7k up some huge hills, I figure I earn what I drink from working out.
  • sstout02
    @bogwoppt1 you def do!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Learning how to manage my drinking has been a big part of losing weight for me. It's certainly possible to lose without quitting, but it sometimes takes a bit of work. Some things I do:

1) Eat fewer calories during the week so that I have more calories to use on the weekends
    2) Find healthier snack options for those drunk munchies
    3) Experiment with different drink options

That last one has probably been the biggest help over time - I simply struggled too much with white wine, so now it's strictly a special occasion drink. A glass of red at the end of the day gives me that unwinding feeling without the urge to overindulge. I also switched to hard cider when I go out, as it takes me longer to drink so I generally drink less of it. Generally speaking, I find planning ahead works better than trying to compensate after the fact - although I have found that a good run does help clear the head the next day. Whatever you do, don't beat yourself up if you don't stick to your plans - you can't ruin anything with a single mistake unless you give up. Take it as a learning experience and move on. Good luck!
  • braineblonde
    braineblonde Posts: 16 Member
    edited March 2018
    I struggled with this too. I have tried cutting out alcohol totally in the past and it just in not sustainable for me. This time around, I cut my intake to 1 cocktail a day. I log it. Since I preplan my food/drink a day in advance, it just make it part of the whole. On the rare occasion that I choose to have a second drink, i log it and let it go. This has worked really well for me. I rarely drink wine, but when I do it's red and because I don't enjoy it that much, it's easy to stay with one 4 or 5 ounce pour. My go to drink is vodka (i always measure out 2 ounces) with a tiny splash of fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and club soda. I've lost almost 20 pounds in the last 3 months with this. I had a short plateau this last month, but I think it was because I started working out 6 days a week. I broke through yesterday just as I was about to give up the alcohol totally to see if that would help. Was glad to see the scale moving down again yesterday!
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    There is no recovering from wine calories. Ever. You're doomed.
  • sstout02
    @MegaMooseEsq thank you! Will def take all of that into consideration
  • sstout02
    Hahahaha @bpetrosky
  • sstout02
    @chellycakes that sounds good. I can do that if I know I’m going out the night of.
  • sstout02
    @braineblonde only 6 days lol. You inspire me. Good work!! I gotta switch up my liquor it sounds like.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Wine makes me eat. I have no self control after a glass or two. I also find myself hungrier the next day after having a few drinks. I just cut alcohol out again after gaining some weight back. :(
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    sstout02 wrote: »
    Hello guys and gals,

How do you guys stay on track when you want to drink!? Especially wine? Who really drinks one glass of wine..and how do you recover from those cals.

Figure out how much you wanna drink ahead of time and then budget for those calories. Let say you wanna drink a bottle of red sweet wine. 650 calories or around there. Then you take your daily calorie goal and set away 650 calories for your wine. Then you are likely to get the munchies. So figure out a head of time what you are likely to eat while and after you drink and budget for that too. Also, you can go to the gym for an extra hour or two in order to make sure you have plenty of calories to have a great wine night!

Good Luck!!!! :)
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    edited March 2018
    Everything I just said I totally failed to do myself. I didn't plan at all and now im gonna go over my cal goal..lol
  • globaljuju
    globaljuju Posts: 2 Member
    I have found that light wine (such as Stoneleigh Sav Blanc) makes a huge difference in calories and yucky hAngovers. I also only drink low-carb beer, and I log it all.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    My dad makes wine. He makes more than he can drink. So I get free wine in a box. It's decent stuff as well, but being in a box means I can have one glass and not worry about killing a bottle.

Tonight I had scotch instead.
  • rasta_bb
    rasta_bb Posts: 109 Member
    Everything I just said I totally failed to do myself. I didn't plan at all and now im gonna go over my cal goal..lol

We are all human :D You'll be double determined for next time
  • mazcor536
    mazcor536 Posts: 115 Member
    There’s that saying isn’t there... one glass is too many, one thousand is too few. If you struggle to stop after one glass, perhaps it’s better to go alcohol free. I could never stop after one so I stopped completely. If you can exercise self control when having a drink then all the more power to you! Good luck everyone!