Fasting a couple days a week???

Options
blah2989
blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
Ive been thinking about fasting once or twice a week. I have no problem with exercising and eating within my calorie "budget", just wondering if adding in fasting would help or hurt me?

Replies

• fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    If you have no problem eating the right number of calories, you're doing what you need to do.

There is no reason to strain your body unnecessarily.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with intermittent fasting. It's a pretty natural way to eat.
  • fivethreeone
    Options

Nobody mentioned intermittent fasting, the OP seems to be talking about overall weekly calorie reduction.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you think fasting is going to help you lose more or/and faster, then don't do it. trying to rush to your goal is not one of the reasons to take on fasting.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options

OP hasnt been clear on what kind of fasting she is talking about.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    There's an amazing book called the 5:2 Diet. I am reading it right now. It also explains how fasting can help your health in other ways than just losing weight. Check it out.

-Kendra
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    Look for something called the 5/2 diet. It's basically what you're asking about, which is intermittent fasting.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I practice fasting.

I just just call it sleeping though.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

OP hasnt been clear on what kind of fasting she is talking about.

OP specifically said fasting 1-2 days a week. Pretty much the only way to do that is with short, intermittent fasting.
  • blah2989
    Options
    Yesterday, I didnt eat until dinner, then when I ate dinner I just dint feel so well. Its like I felt better not eating. Today I ate lunch and a snack and I feel off. Im thinking its what I ate. I was considering fasting as like a detox then starting again eating healthier foods. I feel like my muscles hurt after I eat. Neck, shoulders, back, stomach area. I was thinking of doing it maybe once a week if doesnt hurt anything.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    Yesterday, I didnt eat until dinner, then when I ate dinner I just dint feel so well. Its like I felt better not eating. Today I ate lunch and a snack and I feel off. Im thinking its what I ate. I was considering fasting as like a detox then starting again eating healthier foods. I feel like my muscles hurt after I eat. Neck, shoulders, back, stomach area. I was thinking of doing it maybe once a week if doesnt hurt anything.

So, you're saying that you want to eat nothing once a week? Just so we're straight on your plan.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

......I see.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    no
  • fivethreeone
    Options

fasting as a way to reduce your overall calorie intake is never advisable. If you want to eat just one meal a day, you can do that, but you have to take in your entire daily calorie allottment in one meal. Some people like that, some don't. From what you've said, it sounds like you're just looking for a way to reduce your calorie intake below what is healthy.

Fasting is not a detox.
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

How is your blood sugar?

Before doing that you should check those , it seems that waiting long periods before eating is not agreeing with your body.
  • islebutterfly09
    islebutterfly09 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do fasting a few days a week, and I have one day a week where I eat what I want (within limits). This has worked for me, as I have lost 25 lb since July 1. It helps because I know I can have what I want that one day, and then the fasting kind of compensates for it. Also I do feel better when I don't eat much. I think it is because our bodies are so used to overeating and consuming junk, that when we finally start to be healthy and don't eat as much, it is like my body rewards me with more energy and feeling lighter. Sometimes it is restless energy, but that is good to channel into exercise. The other thing is that I feel like maybe it helps metabolism as well, that my calorie intake and types of foods I eat vary drastically from day to day, so my body doesn't adjust to one particular way of eating. I say go for it, just be aware of how your body responds. Getting lightheaded or dizzy are not good signs. Take care of yourself.
  • blah2989
    Options
    I was thinking just not eating one day a week; IF I do not feel hungry. Im sorry I wasnt being very clear. I originally just thought of fasting because like I said I feel really off and not very hungry. I tried eating a bigger lunch today to see if it was just because I ate so late in the day yesterday, but eh. And I ate a cake bread slice and that totally hurt my stomach. ( my fault for eating that instead of veggies)
  • blah2989
    Options
    Im not sure about my blood sugar I did have blood tests for my sugar and chloestoral in march and they were within normal ranges
  • kalieah
    kalieah Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    look into intermittent fasting, it helps a lot of people, and is completely safe, IF you do if properly.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Ive been thinking about fasting once or twice a week. I have no problem with exercising and eating within my calorie "budget", just wondering if adding in fasting would help or hurt me?

Is there a reason you need to add in fasting?