Weekly vs. daily calorie totals?

Options
I focus more on the weekly calorie total with maintaining my weight and when I am trying to lose a little as well. Sometimes I eat at a deficient some weeks, then a little over the next. Could a 200 or 300 total difference of calories (I use my exercise calories to “catch up” from previous days’ overage) from day to day be too hard on my metabolism and body? I find myself hungry many times a day, and the scale hasn’t really moved (up a little if anything). Is the daily total more important? TIA!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Nope. But if you're maintaining why does it matter?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,983 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I am in maintenance (have been for over 16 months) and treat each day separately. I do not "carry over" excess cals or "bank" excess cals. Works best for me this way.
  • jenrocks5
    jenrocks5 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Weekly v. Daily would mean to me Flexible v. Restrictive.
    And I find flexibility to fit my diet into my lifestyle a huge benefit in terms of adherence.

Why would a varied amount of calories per day be hard on your body or metabolism? Not seeing what you are getting at. When I lost all my weight my calorie allowance would have varied from 600 cals (I followed an IF eating pattern) to 4,500 calories (I cycle a lot). Did me no harm at all.

It's your calorie balance over an extended period of time (far longer than a week!) that matters - the rest of it is down to finding techniques that personally help you achieve that balance.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    I use weekly, its more flexible and works great :smile: