Scale Anxiety

Options
2»

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who offered encouragement, I really appreciate it! To those who chose otherwise, I have anxiety in general, its not just weighing myself. I'm entering the military so I have a weight requirement to meet. Not meeting that, is an automatic DQ. Telling me "thats silly and just get on the scale" is rude. You don't know me. I kept that promise to myself and got on the scale this morning and I'm down 27.2 lbs. 13 lbs away from goal!!!!

It was silly because you were giving inanimate object so much power, it was controlling you. It is like a bandage covering a wound that has healed, yet you don't want to take it off because of the fear it will hurt. So yep, silly.

Well, I'm glad you are so close to your goal! Way to go!

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who offered encouragement, I really appreciate it! To those who chose otherwise, I have anxiety in general, its not just weighing myself. I'm entering the military so I have a weight requirement to meet. Not meeting that, is an automatic DQ. Telling me "thats silly and just get on the scale" is rude. You don't know me. I kept that promise to myself and got on the scale this morning and I'm down 27.2 lbs. 13 lbs away from goal!!!!

Great!

Moving forward, the scale may have less power over you if you weigh yourself every day and thus get used to the data and normal fluctuations.

Weighing daily is how I learned I gain temporary water weight when I ovulate, as well as premenstrually, and that the best day of the month for me to weigh (in terms of getting the lowest number) is a week after my period starts.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    The scale is honest and a good picture of your consumption...
    A more accurate statement is that your weight trend over time is honest and a good picture of whether you're in a deficit or not.

Daily scale readings are subject to fluctuations for a variety of reasons - sodium intake, workouts, hormones (in particular, TOM for women), etc. You can eat well under your calorie goal and show an increase of several pounds the following day if the meals were particularly high in sodium....or if you did a particularly hard workout and your body is retaining water for muscle repair.

This is why many people recommend using some kind of a weight trending app such as Happy Scale (iOS), Libra (Android) or Trendweight (web) to analyze and track your trend over time. It's a more reliable (and less stressful for some) way to sort through the up and down bounces to see what the big picture really is.