Thoughts on getting started; motivation on a background of mental illness.

Options
crackpotbaby
crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
Anger and the great ‘if you don’t. Like it change’ mentality fight it out in a muddied plot somewhere in the back field of my psyche. I try to cut the weeds and let the flowers grow but some things don’t blood[m] into what you’d think. Little mouths saying no and daddy agrees, not out of thoughtful attention but from the whatever’s; the may as wells. They’re gonna do it anyways so what’s the problemmmeeemm? But explicitly said no backed up with a million squeezing reasons trampled in the mud. Inside my head the science plays thud thud thud

Do what to like, you lot.

I see something needing change so I’m gonna change it.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Ok, I guess.
  • sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,720 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you've got a background of mental illness, making any change can seem extra daunting. I think smaller goals are more realistic and achievable in this case. In my opinion, everyone - mental illness or not - should start by weighing and measuring what they are consuming right now. Log it for at least two weeks to see where the numbers are. Then start making small changes for the better.

People often take an all-or-nothing approach, which doesn't help. That's the "if you don't like it, change" mentality. Of course we need to change! But many people tend to think they have to change everything at once when that's not really the case. We can make small changes. We think if we don't lose 10 pounds in 10 days we've failed. That's also not the case.

Take it a step at a time. One little change at a time. What is one small thing you could change just for today, and then try to replicate tomorrow? Here is one of my favorite threads on MFP that focuses on small changes, just for today:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10626513/just-for-today-one-day-at-a-time-daily-commitment-thread-for-2018

You can do this. :)
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Oh this. This is a reminder why as not to do *anything* in between taking my ambien and going to sleep.

• Slowfaster
    Slowfaster Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hey! I loved your ambien post!

Sugaraddicted's advice seems perfect to me. I can't add anything to it except good luck.
    I know it's very hard to lose while taking certain meds.

I started my plan in September and, for the first few months all I did was not eat sweets, then I tracked food "roughly" and finally started tracking a little more meticulously on Jan 1st. All those, rather lax, methods have worked and I'm down 30 pounds, now.

If I can do it you sure can.