Goat milk vs cow - congestion and snoring

KristieJC
KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
I’ve discovered that eating dairy has been causing the sometimes horrendous snoring my poor husband has to tolerate from my side of the bed. When I cut out dairy entirely, the snoring stops. I read that for some people, dairy increases mucus production, causing this problem. I also read that products made from goat milk may not have the same effect.

Does anyone else out there have this problem with traditional dairy products?

If yes, have you tried goat milk products, and did they affect you any differently?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I thought the "dairy increases mucus production" thing has been debunked. My husband stopped having any kind of dairy because he's lactose intolerant and still snores.
  • KristieJC
    All I know is that within a few days of completely cutting out dairy, my snoring stops.
  • goldthistime
    Weight loss helps with snoring. Have you also lost weight during this time by chance?
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    I thought the "dairy increases mucus production" thing has been debunked. My husband stopped having any kind of dairy because he's lactose intolerant and still snores.

It can make mucus thicker, making the normal amount more noticeable.
  • KristieJC
    Weight loss helps with snoring. Have you also lost weight during this time by chance?

No, not more than a few pounds.

• stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    I havent had dairy in sbout 15 years and my snoring is inhuman. So maybe i will cease this maintenance mode ive been keeping and lose the remaining weight.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    I don't drink milk and I still snore. Goat milk propoganda.
  • goldthistime
    evileen99 wrote: »

It can make mucus thicker, making the normal amount more noticeable.

I googled, and from what I see it definitely does not increase production of phlegm/mucus and does not thicken mucus, although it can be perceived to be making the mucus thicker around the time of drinking milk because of the way it temporarily coats your throat.
  • KristieJC
    Regardless of what any web search finds, I know that when I stop eating dairy, I stop snoring. If anyone has any answers to the questions I initially posted, please share.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    I don't know if it will be different with regards to the symptoms you are talking about, but I have tried goat milk. I found that it tastes about the same as how a goat smells. I gave it a few tries but just can't acclimate to the taste. If you can tolerate it, give it a go and see how it effects you.
  • KristieJC
    Haha. My husband said the same - it tastes the way a goat smells. I’m really just looking to eat goat cheese if I can tolerate it. Cheese was the hardest thing I gave up when quitting dairy. The goat cheeses I’ve tried are okay.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I googled the dairy thing when I was sick too and couldn't find any proof that it actually does anything to mucus production.
  • KristieJC
    Considering humans are the only species that drinks the milk of other species and it isn’t REALLY meant for us (we’re not growing baby cows or goats), I think MOST bodies are happier, at least in some way, without dairy.

I’ve heard this argument before and it makes complete sense. And we’re also the only creatures that drink milk from a different animal. All around, it seems completely unnatural to consume dairy products. I wish that made me miss cheese less. Haha

• KristieJC
    Doh! You already said the same thing about drinking from other animals.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    I thought I would miss it a great deal when I gave it up, but I really, really don’t. I have found alternatives to a lot of things that are plant based, or I just don’t worry about it. I did tell a co-worker yesterday as we delivered cheese plates full of high end, artisanal cheeses that not missing grocery store cheese was easy, but the fancy stuff, when waved in my face, was a lot harder!
  • whathapnd
    whathapnd Posts: 1,233 Member
    Yes, I snore less when I cut out dairy.

I was diagnosed with gluten and casein allergies a few years ago. My symptom was a rash that would never go away. Within four days of cutting out both, I noticed a remarkable difference in nose stuffiness (that I didn't even realize I had) and a bit of swelling in my throat (also didn't know I had because I'd been living with it for so long.) The doctor said to try goat or sheep's milk cheeses because the casein is different and some people are allergic to cow casein but not goat or sheep. That wasn't the case for me. I love cheese and will sometimes eat it and suffer the consequences of the rash and stuffiness. Snoring is an issue when this happens.

Try differently aged goat and sheep cheeses to see if it makes a difference. Aged cheeses are the worst for me (also have a tyramine allergy which is present in ages foods) and cause an immediate reaction. Soft cheeses cause a reaction 12-24 hours later. Try a small amount of one cheese and wait three days to see if you have a reaction.

Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I haven't, but I know some people do react differently to goat and cow milk, don't know why (I also personally prefer goat's milk, although I rarely consume any milk). Wouldn't hurt to try and see.
  • annieinnm
    annieinnm Posts: 23 Member
    I switched to goat milk 7 years ago as a cooking ingredient for savory dishes. As a result, inflammation in my body went WAY down. I also cut out all cow's milk, gluten-containing grains especially wheat, and sugar. All of those foods are inflammatory. It did not affect my snoring, but it sure eliminated a lot of pain.