Using up chicken stock

acpgee
acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
My freezer is full of chicken stock. My go-to use is porcini risotto, but there is only so much of this one can eat.

Any other ideas about how to use up chicken stock? Favourite soups? Other risotto ideas? What do you do with veloute sauce?

Replies

• Dani9585
    Dani9585 Posts: 215 Member
    I don't know what veloute sauce is, so I can't speak to that. I use chicken stock for gravy, rice, quinoa, potatoes, soups (chicken noodle or my own "creation" lol), and reheating poultry in a pan. I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of more right now.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    My freezer is also always full of chicken bone broth (homemade) and I honestly don't know what I would do without it!

Today I made roasted tomato soup with it. Some other ideas that I always do:
    1. Chicken soup
    2. Curries
    3. Broccoli cauliflower soup
    4. Braising liquid in my instant pot for any type of meat (corned beef, chicken thighs, etc).
    5. Use if for steaming vegetables
    6. When making turkey meatballs, so they don't get dry, cook them in stock
    7. If you eat grains (i.e., rice, barley, etc), use it instead of water
    8. Use it to braise kale or other greens that are a tough to make them less bitter
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    This sounds weird but outside of the more obvious uses for chicken stock, you can also use it to make a pretty mean clam or seafood chowder.

Chicken stock is neutral enough in flavor that it works really well to add volume to dishes without overshadowing the base flavor, nor adding too much of a specific flavor. Whereas chowders made with 100% clam juice or fish stock can tend towards too fishy/briny, chowders made with a 50/50 mix of clam juice/fish stock and chicken stock can be more well balanced and subtle.

Likewise, chicken stock is used in many chinese stir fries as the main volume component of both brown and white sauces and also serves to mellow out the flavor of straight soy/oyster sauces. Similarly, chicken stock is a key component of lobster sauce.

Re: veloute, I'll use it as a substitute for a richer cream-based gravy in chicken a la king, pot pie, sausage gravy (50/50 milk to stock) or the like. It's not that much healthier but it does save a couple of hundred calories in a recipe.
  • acrylicfox
    acrylicfox Posts: 295 Member
    edited March 2018
    I like to make a nice spicy Hot pot soup whenever I have enough time to make stock (I'm vegan but a meat broth would be more traditional)
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Carrot Soup! I just made a pot this morning; it uses six cups chicken stock, it's filling and its low calorie.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,595 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions. Have discovered a couple of less conventional uses than soup and risotto. Mejadra, polenta, and chickpea flour fries (I am making mine in the hot air fryer tonight).
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    use it as a ramen soup base We adore these ramen soups on evenings (very easy)
    It can also be used for bulgur, couscous, rice and lentil cooking. Adds very nice flavour to them and is instant seasoning for the grains