Exhausting periods: maintenance?

Options
So I've been eating at a deficit for a while now, aiming for a loss of .5 kg / 1lb per week, give or take (depending on the additional cals I'm getting from daily activity). But ever so often, in my daily job I have periods of 5 days to a week when I'm working under a super-tight deadline and I'm ending up chained to the computer, sleeping about 4 hrs per night on average. It can be exhausting. There is no extra activity, although I am usually managing to squeeze in my 10k steps brisk commute walking (would be about 3.8 mph by my calculations), an activity which I prefer to dedicate time to because it clears my head.

My question is this - would eating at maintenance be advised? I figure there's enough stress for the body to not keep nourishment at a deficit. I don't have a goal time to achieve my target weight so I can do just fine with a week of pause every once in a while. Then again, I do feel like cheating and it's a bit disheartening.

I'm wondering if anyone has a method to this. What's your approach to „sustainable” (and healthy) eating under stress?

Replies

• yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you already have a plan and it sounds good to me, do what is comfortable you especially since you dont have a set date for your weight loss and you would still be losing with a lause every now and again. Its definitely has worked for me, even though its taken me 1 year to lose 27 lbs its been a high stress year for me and my family and lots of pauses along the way but as long as I got back to eating healthy for me and hardly any exercise I've still been successful imagine if I had mkre time for exercise.

Not about me just wanted you to know it can still workout for you, hope this helps, best of care to you.
  • yweight2020
    yweight2020 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Sorry for the typos phone acting weird
  • SabAteNine
    SabAteNine Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    btente wrote: »
    Programmer here, know this drill really well...

Two things: 1) the longer you stay awake the more calories you burn; 2) the longer you're up the more you'll crave comfort foods.

So it's okay to eat a bit extra, just try to continue to stick to your regular food choices.

Hi, and thanks! The additional calorie burn from extensive awake periods makes sense.

I usually crave a glass or more of wine, which I am alternating with coffee when I pull all-nighters (the absolute opposite of common sense, but it works for me, sort of like a downer-upper cycle for inspiration-productivity). And chocolate. And cheese.

However, it's during the day that I either need, or feel like I should eat more to get some nutrients in. Not necessarily because I'm hungry, but because it makes sense in the context and it somehow makes me feel like I am slapping a band-aid on the stress-no-sleep problem. Don't know if that makes sense to you, or if it's necessary in the context, hence the original question.
  • SabAteNine
    Options
    @Sparkeysworld Yep - unfortunately, I have a first hand idea of where sleep deprivation can lead, from my uni years. However, nowadays the periods are relatively reduced in size, and to be frank I enjoy what I do, sleeplessness and everything.

That being said, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share all the information you provided (which I will read after I deliver, heh). While I figured sleep deprivation is not ideal, the conclusions speak for themselves. And something tells me that popping a vitamin or two and eating enough (and clean) will not reverse the effects. Alas, one has to try.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot when I'm busy at work. What I've found to be best is to have lower calorie stuff on hand and to eat an extra meal instead inhaling sweets and chips all night long.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Sparkeysworld Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    SabAteNine wrote: »
    @Sparkeysworld Yep - unfortunately, I have a first hand idea of where sleep deprivation can lead, from my uni years. However, nowadays the periods are relatively reduced in size, and to be frank I enjoy what I do, sleeplessness and everything.

That being said, I'd like to thank you for taking the time to share all the information you provided (which I will read after I deliver, heh). While I figured sleep deprivation is not ideal, the conclusions speak for themselves. And something tells me that popping a vitamin or two and eating enough (and clean) will not reverse the effects. Alas, one has to try.

Try to catch up with as much sleep as possible when you can, Melatonin at 3-5mg 30 mins before bed is a great help if you actually find it difficult to sleep (which I doubt, but I thought I'd mention it).
  • SabAteNine
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Programmer here, know this drill really well...

Two things: 1) the longer you stay awake the more calories you burn; 2) the longer you're up the more you'll crave comfort foods.

So it's okay to eat a bit extra, just try to continue to stick to your regular food choices.

Hi, and thanks! The additional calorie burn from extensive awake periods makes sense.

I usually crave a glass or more of wine, which I am alternating with coffee when I pull all-nighters (the absolute opposite of common sense, but it works for me, sort of like a downer-upper cycle for inspiration-productivity). And chocolate. And cheese.

However, it's during the day that I either need, or feel like I should eat more to get some nutrients in. Not necessarily because I'm hungry, but because it makes sense in the context and it somehow makes me feel like I am slapping a band-aid on the stress-no-sleep problem. Don't know if that makes sense to you, or if it's necessary in the context, hence the original question.

Completely get it. :)

After an all nighter nothing better than several beers and a couple burgers... For me the alcohol helps wind the brain down too. I put my work way too ahead of other priorities though and I let that "reward" part get carried away.

Try not to let the work take over. While the drive for that can be intoxicating itself, take it from the guy that did that for 13 years of his career it's not productive to health and happiness.

Not planning on doing this forever, but when the project is good.. you push. Then yes, you crack / uncork one open and enjoy with a Netflix b-movie to fall asleep on. Thanks for the insights, and here's to living off passive income in the near future! :smiley:

LE - I have a pretty high caffeine resistance, built in the last 15 years, going without makes me feel like being underwater during weekends. I have powdered greens too in my pantry, but I think they expired since I last tried them :expressionless:
  • Sparkeysworld
    edited March 2018
    Options

Vitamins are pretty ineffective. I've got BCAAs and powdered greens at my desk for a nutrient kick.

I've got to cycle my caffeine too. I avoid it on weekends and try to limit to 4 cups per workday. My new gig has a barista though!

There's also study that unless your diet is pretty poor, BCAA'S are not needed (I'll link it when I find it) but I do have some of the copied text on my pc (info horder) :)

Summary: Do BCAAs Work?
    In summary, there’s plenty of research out there to show that BCAAs have a number of benefits as far as muscle growth is concerned.

But there’s little evidence to suggest that it matters where those BCAAs come from – a chicken breast, a scoop of whey protein or a BCAA supplement. Once they’ve made it to the bloodstream, they’re going to do exactly the same thing.

Moreover, most studies have measured short-term changes in protein synthesis, rather than long-term gains in muscle mass. Very few have looked at the effects of BCAA supplements on top of an adequate protein intake, or compared free-form BCAAs with an equivalent dose of BCAAs from a milk protein supplement or even just food.

It’s true that taking BCAAs before and after training can reduce markers of muscle damage and soreness, as well as accelerating the recovery of muscle function.

But if you compare large doses of BCAAs with large doses of nothing, particularly in someone on a low protein intake, this shouldn’t come as any great surprise.

If you want to get some BCAAs in your system before and after a workout, a scoop of whey protein will do the job just fine.

Despite the hype, there’s little solid evidence to show that BCAA supplements offer any significant advantage over and above an adequate intake of high-quality protein from food and/or milk protein supplements.
  • SabAteNine
    edited March 2018
    Options

Try to catch up with as much sleep as possible when you can, Melatonin at 3-5mg 30 mins before bed is a great help if you actually find it difficult to sleep (which I doubt, but I thought I'd mention it).

Melatonin - yes! That's good advice, although lately I sleep like a rock. Sometimes I make a lavender tea before bed. I also got myself a bottle of 5-HTP last week with the purpose of stress mitigation but forgot to „attack” it yet.
  • Sparkeysworld
    edited March 2018
    Options

Melatonin - yes! That's good advice, although lately I sleep like a rock. Sometimes I make a lavender tea before bed. I also got myself a bottle of 5-HTP last week with the purpose of stress mitigation but forgot to „attack” it yet.

My wife tried 5-HTP but it did nothing for her, I hope it works for you.
  • Sparkeysworld
    Options

Vitamins are pretty ineffective. I've got BCAAs and powdered greens at my desk for a nutrient kick.

I've got to cycle my caffeine too. I avoid it on weekends and try to limit to 4 cups per workday. My new gig has a barista though!

There's also study that unless your diet is pretty poor, BCAA'S are not needed (I'll link it when I find it) but I do have some of the copied text on my pc (info horder) :)

Summary: Do BCAAs Work?
    In summary, there’s plenty of research out there to show that BCAAs have a number of benefits as far as muscle growth is concerned.

But there’s little evidence to suggest that it matters where those BCAAs come from – a chicken breast, a scoop of whey protein or a BCAA supplement. Once they’ve made it to the bloodstream, they’re going to do exactly the same thing.

Moreover, most studies have measured short-term changes in protein synthesis, rather than long-term gains in muscle mass. Very few have looked at the effects of BCAA supplements on top of an adequate protein intake, or compared free-form BCAAs with an equivalent dose of BCAAs from a milk protein supplement or even just food.

It’s true that taking BCAAs before and after training can reduce markers of muscle damage and soreness, as well as accelerating the recovery of muscle function.

But if you compare large doses of BCAAs with large doses of nothing, particularly in someone on a low protein intake, this shouldn’t come as any great surprise.

If you want to get some BCAAs in your system before and after a workout, a scoop of whey protein will do the job just fine.

Despite the hype, there’s little solid evidence to show that BCAA supplements offer any significant advantage over and above an adequate intake of high-quality protein from food and/or milk protein supplements.
    There's plenty of support for BCAAs too, but I take those instead of protein powders as I'm not a fan of the junk in most. And for me it's a supplement not a staple of my diet.

Everyone has a choice bud,
    But as someone who's been training for 18 years and taken just about every supp under the sun, I can guarantee you won't have seen any difference between using them and not using them, same goes for supplementing Vitamins.
  • mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Insomniac and PhD student here. I'm currently in this situation, and will be for the next week at least (why am I on MFP?! back to work soon...). I eat at a deficit if I can, but I'm trying not to stress about being at maintenance if that's what I need. I managed to fit in a run the other day, which actually really helped with stress and of course gave me a few extra calories. Totally understandable if you can't do that, of course. I don't really see it as 'cheating'...sometimes you have to prioritise, and it's probably mentally a lot better to allow yourself a bit of extra nourishment. Do what you can, try to incorporate veg into your daily goal (makes me feel a lot better), and make small choices where you can - but don't stress yourself out about it. Best of luck with your project!!
  • Sparkeysworld
    edited March 2018
    Options
    [/quote]
    Very few supplements have any scientific credibility of efficacy, but creatine and BCAAs actually do. But again... I'm taking it for protein when I'm not eating meals and that's it. Unless your argument is BCAAs aren't a bioavailable protein it's moot to argue against my consumption of them. Is that what you're suggesting?[/quote]

Not at all,
    Just saying they are not needed if you have a healthy balanced diet.
    And I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand why you would take them to supplement your protein intake as a pose to taking in...well protein from food?
    You mentioned that 'powdered protein' contains all sorts of whatever, what about pure unflavoured protein with nothing added, this would be a fair better choice if you are solely using it to supplement protein intake.

Anyway, good luck with your goals bud.