HIIT Calorie Classification

Options
I am unsure what to log my HIIT exercises as. I’ve been doing them as “circuit training”, but I’m just not sure that’s right.

They are from the BodyBoss program. They consist of 8 minutes on, 3 minutes break, repeating for 3x. I don’t generally take the break because I’m all about powering through and keeping my HR up.

The workout generally consist of some combination of squats, sit ups, push ups, glute lunges, spider planks, two point planks, frog hops, ski moguls, box jumps, sumo squats, squats with various types of kicks, burpees, jumping rope, high knee walking lunges, glute bridges, down dog v pressed, butterfly kicks, reverse butterfly kicks, bench hops, plank lifts, leg lifts, jack knives, triceps kickbacks, triceps dips, shoulder presses, bicep curls, etc.

They suggest completing the given number of reps within one minute, so each workout consists of 8 exercises. Each exercise will have anywhere between 30-50 reps.

So, any thoughts?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    Calisthenics would be another possibility.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    What people are calling HIIT is really just a more rigurous form Circuit Training.

A classic Tabata HIIT routine consists of 8 sets of 20 sec work & 10 sec work sets at MAX effort and only lasts 4 mins.

When I do this on my rower, I'm totally gassed and out of breath (which is the point of doing HIIT) but only burn 45-50 cals in the process.

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Both circuit training and callisthenics (vigorous) have the same METS value in the database so chose the label you prefer. Both seem rather generous to me but that's a separate issue.

Thoughts...
    If your goal is to keep your HR up - might as well just do steady state cardio of a decent intensity.
    It's a bit odd to pick an interval training program and then avoid doing intervals.

Agreed. All of this.

If you're doing interval training, but skipping the interval part, then it's not interval training anymore. I think circuit training is a good call here.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Both circuit training and callisthenics (vigorous) have the same METS value in the database so chose the label you prefer. Both seem rather generous to me but that's a separate issue.

Thoughts...
    If your goal is to keep your HR up - might as well just do steady state cardio of a decent intensity.
    It's a bit odd to pick an interval training program and then avoid doing intervals.

Yup...all of this.

Not sure why you don't just do steady state cardio if your goal is to keep your HR up. HIIT is a pretty specific fitness protocol...the rest is important.