Worried about impact of my calorie counting on 8 year old daughter

Yesterday at Costco, my kids got hotdogs and a soda in the middle of a busy day. My 8 year-old daughter got her own soda. When I asked her what she got, she said she got diet coke. I asked her why she got that, and she said, "I want to be on a diet like you Mommy." My child is not at all overweight, not by an ounce. Of course I told her that was silly, kids don't go on diets, and that I was just trying to be healthy watching what I eat because the doctor said I had to. She also has asked me how many calories different foods have on occasion. She sees me weighing and logging my food every day. I am a little worried that she is taking all of this in as a young female in a society that is already obsessed with women being thin, and now she sees her mother "obsessed" with logging her calories. How do I make sure this is not going to have a negative influence on her? (By the way, eating Costco hotdogs and soda is not a regular thing for my kids. Usually I prepare and feed them healthy foods and I don't buy soda at home. I'm just anticipating someone on here telling me that I'm feeding my children crap food, lol. Yes, I am fully aware that this particular lunch is complete junk for my kids :wink: and they can have complete junk on occasion.)

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I agree that it might be best to point out that this is something you have to do because you overate in the past. Since she doesn't overeat, she doesn't have to limit her calories.

At the same time, go ahead and teach her about nutrition. Perhaps let her keep track of a particular nutrient, like protein or calcium, reminding her that her targets are minimums. Even just counting her veggies. Diet just means your regular eating pattern. They should be positive, not negative.
  • simcon1
    simcon1 Posts: 209 Member
    I think it’s more about body attitude than calorie counting per se, when it comes to negative effects on kids and their self image. So, negative talk about bodies, terrible representations of fatness in the media and discriminatory attitudes are much worse than the kind of pragmatic approach the OP and others have talked about in this thread.

We also frame eating well in terms of fueling activity and health in my family, and it seems like the kids are picking up pieces of that in positive ways—but I think compassion and respect towards ourselves and others, and analysis about how discrimination works (towards people who are fat, women, GLBTQ, different races, differently abled, different religions) is always necessary to reinforce.

• SoleTrainer60
    SoleTrainer60 Posts: 180 Member
    Another great thing that you can do is tell her to always be active and choose healthy foods and snacks and she won't have to worry about gaining a lot of weight. Healthy living, and portion control is the key. It will be up to you of course, but it is also ok to have an occasional eat out (fast food) day. :)
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    I agree that it might be best to point out that this is something you have to do because you overate in the past. Since she doesn't overeat, she doesn't have to limit her calories.

At the same time, go ahead and teach her about nutrition. Perhaps let her keep track of a particular nutrient, like protein or calcium, reminding her that her targets are minimums. Even just counting her veggies. Diet just means your regular eating pattern. They should be positive, not negative.

Good idea! Thanks.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    I have an 11 year old daughter who is also curious about why Mum will no longer eat some of the foods she used to.
    I’ve told her that it’s because I need to make better choices about the food I put into my body, in order to be healthier. She sees me weighing my food, too, and I tell her that I do that so I can make sure I’m eating the amount of food my body needs, in order to help the process of being healthier. I stay completely away from the words “weight” (ie losing weight) or “diet” and instead talk about it in terms of health.
    This also makes it easier when she serves herself bigger portions that she needs- we can talk about how she’s younger, and so doesn’t need as much food to fuel her body as an adult needs. When she says “but I’m hungry!” I tell her to eat what she’s got and drink some water, then talk to me if she’s still hungry. She never is, though!

I’m hoping that all this is helping to model healthy food habits.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,398 Member
    I wouldn't be worried at all. Actually I'd look at it as a good teaching opportunity. Explained in the complete context it might help them better understand food, nutrition, exercise, and overall health goals. It also teaches them that Mom isn't perfect, is human, and sometimes gets off track BUT Mom chose to get back on track so hopefully will be around to teach them life lessons for many years to come.

I never weighed food myself, but during the periods of logging food and/or exercise, my daughter was curious as well. Now, at 18 years old, she is trying to eat more protein than she used to. She also fuels herself better on long days and tends to snack on easy "junk" a little less. She has actually used our elliptical a number of times, and the other day mentioned that she has a further exercise plan she is going to start. She is also less intimidated by picking up heavier things after I reminded her that often stronger people got that way by picking up heavy things and then putting them back down.

Make it a positive thing, and it will be.
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,267 Member
    I think showing children healthy eating habits is wonderful. Your children seeing you logging food and being proactive is probably very healthy for them. Most children are served huge portions and made to finish everything on their plates. This is not healthy. If you think you are acting "obsessed" then maybe dial is back a bit or talk through it with your kids. Tell them why you are doing it and that it isn't a "diet" but a lifestyle of healthy eating. Kids see and hear everything!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,731 Member
    My mom was obese. She went on numerous diets over the years and nothing really changed. My dad left her because of her weight. I went on my first diet (Stillman's if anyone remembers) when I was 11, though i was only a bit heavy, not fat. I learned to hate cottage cheese;-) That pretty much set me up for a lifetime of yoyo dieting. Because of my mom's example I made sure I never became truly obese, but I spent a lot of years dieting then gaining then dieting again. It was only when I was very active that I was able to avoid dieting, because I never really learned how to eat normally.
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    I wish my parents had been more anti soda growing up. They eat tons of fast food, candy, and had soda back then...

I think being open with your child and talking about how constantly consuming lots of calorie dense foods can be detrimental to ones health. The key is to not demonize anything and to say everything is ok in moderation. A normal soda once a week is fine... a 2 liter a day is bad.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,050 Member
    In my early teens my mother had to go through an elimination diet and was found to have several food allergies, MSG being the big one that really set off her symptoms. Learning about that, learning to read food labels to be sure the foods didn't have anything my mom couldn't eat, and helping prepare healthy meals pretty much gave me a mindset of choosing healthier foods and developed a wide pallet - all of us enjoy a very wide range of foods.

All of that being said, my mother was overweight most of my life, going into obese from time to time. It was never an issue for any of us kids as we were pretty active doing most of the outdoor chores on our rather large hobby farm.

The biggest issue for me is while I knew about calories and burn vs activity, since my mother never worried about that in particular, and it was never an issue for me, I didn't realize just how badly a desk job affected me. Never had to give a thought to my weight until then (other than a few vanity pounds), and it took me way to long to recognize the reasons why I was getting fat.

I think you've been given some great advice, and I'd encourage you to include your kids in what you're doing and why.
  • Fitnessmom82
    Fitnessmom82 Posts: 376 Member
    Use it as a moment to talk about healthy choices. I have three middle school aged girls and have worried a lot about what they are thinking about my weight loss. I try to stress that it's for my health, not my looks. Two of my girls are blossoming and getting pretty curvy. They have always been a bit on the thicker side of things. It never bothered them until I started to get thin. Now they ask how they can lose like me ect...we talk (constantly it seems, haha) about loving ourselves at every size. But, on the other hand, I don't want them to use it as a license to eat whatever they want. They eat healthy at home but I know they make poor choices when away from me. It's a delicate balance. When they expressed how they wanted to lose a little weight I told them that they didn't need to, but we could go on runs together ect...I told them that I am not on a diet, but I chose to eat mostly things that are nutritious. I try to stress balance.
    I never thought that this would be an issue when I started out, but man, it is sure becoming one. It's hard talking to young girls about weight. I'm always afraid to give them a complex!
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Use it as a moment to talk about healthy choices. I have three middle school aged girls and have worried a lot about what they are thinking about my weight loss. I try to stress that it's for my health, not my looks. Two of my girls are blossoming and getting pretty curvy. They have always been a bit on the thicker side of things. It never bothered them until I started to get thin. Now they ask how they can lose like me ect...we talk (constantly it seems, haha) about loving ourselves at every size. But, on the other hand, I don't want them to use it as a license to eat whatever they want. They eat healthy at home but I know they make poor choices when away from me. It's a delicate balance. When they expressed how they wanted to lose a little weight I told them that they didn't need to, but we could go on runs together ect...I told them that I am not on a diet, but I chose to eat mostly things that are nutritious. I try to stress balance.
    I never thought that this would be an issue when I started out, but man, it is sure becoming one. It's hard talking to young girls about weight. I'm always afraid to give them a complex!

This is actually a great opportunity to connect with them. Why don't you all train to do a 5k together? Put the focus on the activity and let food play a supporting role. Teach them to fuel their bodies well so that they can run and so they feel strong and healthy.

Present the idea to them and plan 3 days a week where you will all run together. On the other days, encourage them to get out and play - ride bikes, walk around the park, swim, play a sport. They'll see that they feel better when they eat right and are active. It takes the focus off of appearance and puts it on feeling good and overall wellness.
  • Leannep2201
    Leannep2201 Posts: 441 Member
    edited March 2018
    I have an 11 year old daughter who is also curious about why Mum will no longer eat some of the foods she used to.
    I’ve told her that it’s because I need to make better choices about the food I put into my body, in order to be healthier. She sees me weighing my food, too, and I tell her that I do that so I can make sure I’m eating the amount of food my body needs, in order to help the process of being healthier. I stay completely away from the words “weight” (ie losing weight) or “diet” and instead talk about it in terms of health.
    This also makes it easier when she serves herself bigger portions that she needs- we can talk about how she’s younger, and so doesn’t need as much food to fuel her body as an adult needs. When she says “but I’m hungry!” I tell her to eat what she’s got and drink some water, then talk to me if she’s still hungry. She never is, though!

I’m hoping that all this is helping to model healthy food habits.

Your 11yo may well need more than most adults if she is approaching puberty and active.

Yes, I considered this too. She’s not terribly active though- no more than any other kid her age- and she’s only “hungry” like that when we’re dishing up food she loves.... if it’s something she doesn’t like as much, all of a sudden she’s not so hungry.... so that speaks volumes to me! Often her lunch box comes home with food still in it too, so I’m definitely not under-feeding her!

She swims once a week and so I always make sure she has extra food on that day, to allow for the extra calories burned