Do you check weight everyday?

Options

Replies

• Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Options
    I weight every morning first thing after using the facilities and record that weight in a spreadsheet. I'm a bit of an excel/data nut so all my data goes in excel with all manner of graphs and formula applied =)

That spreadsheet takes those daily weights and averages them for the week weight. This weekly average is entered into a different part of the spreadsheet for longer term tracking and number crunching. This weekly average is also the number I enter into MFP every Sunday.

I do also tend to weigh myself right before I go to bed but only because if find it interesting to see how much weight I drop while I'm asleep doing nothing. I'll also jump on the scales any time I find myself suitably undressed and near the bathroom scales simply because I'm curious (how much have I gone up since eating dinner? How much water did I sweat out during my bike ride? etc).

The random additional weight ins aren't recorded and are pretty much dismissed as soon as I step off the scale. The only numbers that I record or that matter are the dailies and most importantly the overall trend of the weekly averages.

This works for me but as has been mentioned previously you gotta do what works for you. I can imagine some people weighing in as often as I do would make them neurotic for me it's just data.
  • RaenaLynn
    RaenaLynn Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. At first, I did feel like I wasn't losing what I thought I should, and that bothered me. But I just kept doing it. It doesn't bother me anymore. I care more about the overall trend of my weight loss, not the daily fluctuations on the scale.
  • dknight36
    dknight36 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    That depends on where you are in your journey and what you are trying to accomplish. The scale is just one measurement tool. It's ok to weigh frequently but it can also make you obsess and stress.
  • Kayla647
    Kayla647 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself daily but only log in my weight weekly. Helps keep me on track seeing the scale every day
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I started weighing daily to better understand my fluctuations and continued throughout most of loss cycle and 1.5 years into maintenance. It's just part of my morning routine.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily too. Or more like 2 times a day. Morning and evening before dinner. Since I eat most of my food late in evening, my morning weight is always higher than my afternoon weight. I use Libra and I compare.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Yes and I've learned a lot by weighing daily. For instance if I have a high carb day the day before the scale will show a 1-4 pound gain. If I weighed weekly I would think I gained 4 pounds in a week. The weight always goes back down in a day or two so now I don't freak out.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    daily - its a tool.
  • Machafin
    Machafin Posts: 2,988 Member
    Options
    I usually check every other day.
  • phoebe1975
    phoebe1975 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I weigh every single day and expect a fluctuation of 1-5 lbs.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do enough other things to punish myself every day. Once a week is more than enough for me.
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but it's not for everyone.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Nope. I do enough other things to punish myself every day. Once a week is more than enough for me.

Don't look at it as you punish yourself. Progress is not punishment :)
  • getskinny1973
    getskinny1973 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily now.. I used to do it once a week, but would get discouraged if there wasn't much of a change, but now that I do it daily and keep track I can see the downward trend, which encourages me and I expect the fluctuation..
  • realgirl177
    realgirl177 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Daily works best for me. After recording my weight for months, I can see patterns where I tend to spike and plateau at different points in the month (not when you'd think, actually). After, I usually lose 4-5 lbs, so I don't get discouraged.

However, daily weighing can make you feel stuck at a weight longer than you actually are and might drive you crazy if you can't handle weight fluctuations. I usually fluctuate .5 to 1lb, but I've gained 4lbs overnight. I don't consume much sodium, so that's probably why. I'm down 87lbs; 9.5 lbs from my goal weight.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I weigh myself daily, I then divide it by 7 at the end of the week to give me my average weight for the week. The average weight for the week is much more important than the one day of weighing. With my weekly average weight, I can compare with my previous weeks and see precisely if I need to tweak with my calories or not.
  • sdolan91
    sdolan91 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    every morning after i use the potty and nekkid
  • SamskiB
    SamskiB Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday (first thing in the morning). Its interesting to see the difference every day! Also if the number goes up, i can make myself cut back a bit during that day
  • amberellen12
    amberellen12 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Daily. Then if there a change going up I can nip it in the bud. It's just a tool I use to measure my progress. Just like my calorie count. I try not to go above 1200 per day max.
  • MisterDale235
    MisterDale235 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    First thing every morning.