Net carbs or total carbs?

Options
Hey there, I'm a low carber and have always counted net carbs. I've always always counted calories. I have reached my goal weight and want to begin looking into maintenance. I'd like to follow the MFP recommendations for maintence and that means increasing my carb intake. I'd ultimately like to go from my previous goal of 15-25 net carbs to the 100something MFP recommends. I do know this is going to cause some fluctuation in my weight, but hopefully it won't be too much. I am trying to figure out though if I should continue counting them as net carbs or should I begin counting total? I'm sure MFP is using total carbs in the macro charts, right?

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    MFP generally uses total, at least if you log using US or Canadian entries (like from US or Canadian packaging or the USDA entries).

MFP's default percentages isn't really a recommendation, though, it's more one possible way to split your macros.

I do think if not doing keto levels it's easier to just focus on total carbs if you care about carb percentage.
  • mrsbsquared
    mrsbsquared Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Congrats on reaching your goal! Personally, I'd keep counting net carbs because that's how your body treats the food you eat. (It frustrates me that MFP doesn't show carbs as net.) As you add more carbs to your diet, add plenty of fiber too and look into resistant starch. Good luck going forward! :)