Should I eat my calories gained through exercise?

Options
2»

Replies

• Pastaprincess1978
    Pastaprincess1978 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I don't really put much store in MFP exercise calories - many say they are inaccurate and way too high. If you feel ok not eating the calories back - don't do it - your plan to eat 100 back a day sounds good :)
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I walk around 8km a day - and 90% of the reason (ok, maybe 95%) is so I get more calories to eat, for the important stuff, like chocolate - because for me, a day without chocolate is a day without sunshine :p

Lol! I walk for wine!
  • mutantspicy
    mutantspicy Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Personally, I think it depends on if you feel you need those extra calories.

I try not to eat back my calories because
    a) I knew the amount given was usually over estimated by lots
    b) I wanted a buffer against under estimating my daily calories.
    c) it helps me to know I have some calories in reserve for when "life" happens ie; going out for supper, special occasions, et.

Some days I need the extra fuel but most days I don't use them.

However I'm not in maintenance yet and am still in deficit mode. I'm looking forward to them once I hit goal.

I think the answer is somewhat nuanced. If one's workout is a brisk walk or a 30-minute Zumba class, it's not a huge calorie burn anyway (and often overestimated), and recovery/refueling concerns are pretty minimal, so eating those calories back or not is no big deal.

For somebody with an intense workout regimen which burns significant calories and imposes significant recovery demands, eating at least part of those calories back becomes more relevant. Somebody who's lifting hard in the gym 4-6 days a week or running 25-30 miles (or more) per week isn't going to sustain that for long on a deep deficit without crashing and burning.

Good answer!

Today my fitness pal logged 1847kcal exercise. I took my normal 3.5 mile walk with my dog. Came to be 650 or so. That was my dogs workout! Not mine. My workout was a 50 min back focused weightllifting session pullups/deadlift. Which was 680 or so. Then my S Health added in all my daily steps 500 something.
    So there was some overlap probably between my step counter and the recorded workout calories. However. I already know from using other trackers, these number are highly inflated. I use a gear S3 watch to record thru UA record. But I know this. I ate a little over my target 2150 today. I'm 2180 or so with 1850 to go. And I don't feel hungry to eat any more food, so I'm not. However, I may partake a small bite of something an hour or so later or have a drink. Use your judgement. I lift weights, so I immediately take protein/fiber supplement right after lifting. Then a light dinner. And some wine after.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    Personally, I think it depends on if you feel you need those extra calories.

I try not to eat back my calories because
    a) I knew the amount given was usually over estimated by lots
    b) I wanted a buffer against under estimating my daily calories.
    c) it helps me to know I have some calories in reserve for when "life" happens ie; going out for supper, special occasions, et.

Some days I need the extra fuel but most days I don't use them.

However I'm not in maintenance yet and am still in deficit mode. I'm looking forward to them once I hit goal.

I think the answer is somewhat nuanced. If one's workout is a brisk walk or a 30-minute Zumba class, it's not a huge calorie burn anyway (and often overestimated), and recovery/refueling concerns are pretty minimal, so eating those calories back or not is no big deal.

For somebody with an intense workout regimen which burns significant calories and imposes significant recovery demands, eating at least part of those calories back becomes more relevant. Somebody who's lifting hard in the gym 4-6 days a week or running 25-30 miles (or more) per week isn't going to sustain that for long on a deep deficit without crashing and burning.

Good answer!

Today my fitness pal logged 1847kcal exercise. I took my normal 3.5 mile walk with my dog. Came to be 650 or so. That was my dogs workout! Not mine. My workout was a 50 min back focused weightllifting session pullups/deadlift. Which was 680 or so. Then my S Health added in all my daily steps 500 something.
    So there was some overlap probably between my step counter and the recorded workout calories. However. I already know from using other trackers, these number are highly inflated. I use a gear S3 watch to record thru UA record. But I know this. I ate a little over my target 2150 today. I'm 2180 or so with 1850 to go. And I don't feel hungry to eat any more food, so I'm not. However, I may partake a small bite of something an hour or so later or have a drink. Use your judgement. I lift weights, so I immediately take protein/fiber supplement right after lifting. Then a light dinner. And some wine after.

After reading the first few sentences of your post, I was relieved for you when I read the bolded part. Especially the underlined part. :D