Plantar Fasciitis or Heel Spurs ... how to know

Options
Is there a way to know if this horrible foot pain I've been dealing with is plantar fasciitis or heel spurs? And if it's heel spur(s), is there a treatment for them or will I have it forever or do they just have to run their course and eventually go away? Just trying to figure out if I should dial back my exercise to see if I can resolve it or not and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks!

Replies

• conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    For plantar fascitis, stand on a step and let your heels drop down to stretch the foot and calf. Do this several times a day. If it doesn't begin to help in a few days I would see a doctor. Also rolling your feet on a foam roller or tennis ball helps. I had a severe case a couple of years ago and the treatment that finally cured them was called dry needling. It's similar to acupuncture. See if that is available in your area. If it isn't, you might try acupuncture.

I don't know anything about heel spurs.

I would cut back on exercise that impacts the foot such as running and walking but you could probably still bike.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Is there a way to know if this horrible foot pain I've been dealing with is plantar fasciitis or heel spurs? And if it's heel spur(s), is there a treatment for them or will I have it forever or do they just have to run their course and eventually go away? Just trying to figure out if I should dial back my exercise to see if I can resolve it or not and would appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

Thanks!

I have heel spurs in both feet...but they don't bother me now. They were very bad when I walked on hard floors, like the hospital I worked at. After I quit the hospital scene after 11 years, the pain stopped. I know I have them because I fractured my foot and they showed up on xrays.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    The podiatrist I saw suggested that I freeze a bottle of water and, when my plantar fasciitis starts to pain me, roll my foot over that.

Also, at least for me, the plantar fasciitis manifested itself more in the arch of my foot rather than the heel. And my "rather prominent" heel spurs don't give me much trouble. I think I remember the podiatrist saying that the heel spurs, if they get painful enough, could be eliminated surgically, but don't quote me on that. :)
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Heel spurs are considered to be a byproduct of the inflammation in the plantar fasciitis condition. Podiatrists 40 years ago thought it was the cause of the heel pain but today they know it is not. There are people who live all their life with heel spurs and never know a moment of heel pain. The problem is plantar fasciitis. I had it and got over it and found tons of information in : elrofeet.com
    Visit an expert just to make sure that's what you have and treat it. Eventually it will go away.