Oraganic Vs. Non Organic Food

Options
I’ve chosen not to go organic for most food I buy. How does everyone else feel about this market? Do you buy organic? Is it worth the extra money? Health benefits?

Replies

• finny11122
    finny11122 Posts: 8,436 Member
    Options
    Hybrid foods are around for ever like carrots , bananas etc . Bad traits were naturally taken out to make them nicer to eat and grow . Organic foods are around forever also . Nothing wrong with hybrid or organic .
    GMO is a different story . That involves gene splicing to achieve genetic modification of the crop . If you are worried about GMO just stick with Hybrid and organic foods .
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I buy organic when I can. The less pesticides the better but the idea that organic produce has more bioavailability over non-organic makes no sense to me. I have no problem with GMO or hybrid foods, either, because that usually means the produce is more resistant to bugs and disease. I am definitely anti-bug and anti-disease! It seems to me that with more resistant produce comes better sustainability as well.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Certain organic foods seem worth the extra cost. Organic chicken seems better to me. If you are concerned about pesticides, consider peeling your apples.
  • festerw
    festerw Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Something to consider with organic, pesticides can still be used and can be more toxic than synthetic products, they may also use more pesticide because the natural product is less effective.

I just try to stick with locally sourced products rather than organic. They can be slightly more expensive but at least I know where my money is going.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I’ve decided I can live with the risk of eating foods conventionally farmed. The biggest difference I’ve noticed is the higher price.

How do you raise an organic chicken? Feed it organic meal?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I don't seek out organic food. However, I do seek out local farms as a source for my produce, when in season, and I will only buy meat (other than fish) and eggs that are from local farms where I approve of the way the animals are treated. (I should do this with dairy, but when consuming dairy it's mostly Fage and fancy cheeses and occasional cottage cheese, which I sometimes buy at a local farm.)

For me this is not about health, but because I like the idea of eating seasonally, supporting local farms, and the animal welfare bit. I don't think organic food is actually healthier, although a lot (not all) of what I get from local farms IS organic, simply because that helps them with their niche marketing.

Out of season I buy conventional produce, and lots of frozen produce, and canned tomatoes.

I will be able to expand my own garden quite a bit this year, so am hoping that will make up a larger share of what I eat.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Organic vs. standard in large scale brands tends to be an exercise in marketing. Buying from local small farmers who can tell you exactly how they work is ultimately the best way to know that you're getting.
  • crita50
    crita50 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Always organic for meat, eggs, and dairy. Organic if available for produce, but sometimes I won't buy it if it's not organic depending on the item. I've found over many years of sometimes buying organic and sometimes not that organic tastes much better and is more satisfying/filling. So I think it's worth the extra cost to buy organic.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I do not buy into it so I don't worry about purchasing organic vs non organic.
    I worry about calories for weight control and macros for overall health. I tune out the rest of the noise.

Not sure if this is "noise", but non-organic pesticides are generally more harmful to farm workers, to nature, and our water supply. Also some of the newer pesticides have few long-term studies on their effects.

OP - The issues has been debated before, so search the forum for more opinions. :+1:

• Fyreside
    Fyreside Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    How do you raise an organic chicken? Feed it organic meal?
    Couple of ways, there is the free range thing where farmer has chooks in big trailer mounted coop and moves them from field to field. (Chickens put themselves away at night, which is handy)
    There are some market gardening styles whereby you feed any withered leaves or discards of your vegetable crops to the chooks, and after harvest, in between crops you let the chooks graze the beds. They pick out weeds, thin out pest insects and reinvest nitrogen rich chook poop into your soil. You can make your own shell grit with a hammer for great eggs and bingo.. Organic chickens.

I've posted on a few similar threads. I farm certified organic medicinal herbs.. (No not that kind lol) TBH, I found the process of getting certified far too easy and open to abuse. And from one state/country to the next, it can mean quite widely different things in terms of what is and isn't allowed. All you can be reasonably sure about is low or no heavy metals in the soil.(hopefully of that actual farm) Most ppl would be surprised at just how much pesticide and fertilizer is "allowed".

The idea of Organic is still cool. And some farmers are totally legit.. The eggs are bigger, the tomato's are richer etc. I just don't take for granted that the label equals the vision you might have about Organic.

One last thing. Because the whole Organic term traces it's history back to the writings of a botanist in England many decades ago, it completely excludes many modern farming techniques that are IMO much healthier. like Aquaponics.. Which is a shame since Aquaponic generally requires far less fertilizer or pesticide than Organic. I'd love to see the whole criteria for Organic be revisited and standardized.

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I worry about calories for weight control and macros for overall health. I tune out the rest of the noise.
    ^^^So much this...
  • Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I have a hunch that the organic food hype in America is one of the most successful marketing campaigns to date. Imagine getting people to pay more money for crappier quality produce.

On a slightly more serious note, I don't buy organic for most things, because I don't notice the difference in quality (and I don't buy into anti-GMO BS). I come from a country where produce almost always looks and tastes amazing, so coming to America and trying out the supermarket produce was...disappointing, to say the least. When organic started becoming really popular, I hoped this might mean an increase in quality. Maybe not to the level I'm used to, but an increase nonetheless. Alas, in most places, it's really just the same quality (or sometimes even worse) for more money. Probably because "organic" food standards in America are a bit of a joke compared to the rest of the world.

The only exception I can really think of is tomatoes and strawberries, if only because the conventional counterpart's standards are already so pitifully low. Even then, it's best to only buy them fresh in season. Meat is another story, though -- I tend to prefer organic meat, particularly beef. For some reason, it doesn't have that "off", slightly sweaty (?) smell when you start cooking it.

Regardless, I do this all for taste, not nutrition. Nutritionally, they are more or less functionally equivalent. The differences between them don't really impact weight loss at all.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I figure on the whole, people are healthier and living longer than ever in history. Obesity is a 1st world problem most of us are here to deal with and comes from too much food and processing. I know people that get sensitivities like hormones in milk and farmed salmon, but they are rare exceptions.

Organic and locally sourced are creations of marketing teams to differentiate their products and justify increases to the bottom line. There are guidelines for this, but they are loose. Industrialized organic production actually scares me with bacteria more than chemical and mechanical production. You see workers in a huge field but where are the portopotties? I'll pay a bit more for eggs and homegrown tomatoes because they taste better, but lettuce is lettuce.

There are a lot of gullible consumers but for me it is adequate quality at lowest price I seek.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    Organic and locally sourced are creations of marketing teams to differentiate their products and justify increases to the bottom line.

I agree with your main premise totally: we are actually much healthier than prior generations whose main problem was malnutrition. We are now victims of our success in producing food so cheaply!

I do point out, however, that "organic" and "locally sourced" are totally different. You can find some truly crappy over-processed food products that are nonetheless labeled as "organic."

"Locally-sourced" is another matter entirely. We always join a farm share here in New England USA, and we've gotten some spectacular fresh vegetables at reasonable cost. Love that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Whatever is at Costco...some is organic, some isn't.
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I buy what is cheapest because I am on a budget
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    I avoid organic like the plague. Organic anything be it meat or plant has no benefit over its non-organic counterpart.
  • hroderick
    hroderick Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    hroderick wrote: »
    "Locally-sourced" is another matter entirely. We always join a farm share here in New England USA, and we've gotten some spectacular fresh vegetables at reasonable cost. Love that.

That farm share sounds like a great one. There are a few in the Dallas area where a group combines $150-200k to own shares of a small family farm's annual production, a win-win deal. I wish those were more common. We have many local farmers' market but most of the produce from the same Dallas wholesalers that supply the grocery stores, but they double the price for the ambiance.

Being aware of what is in season and buying while it is delicious and cheap at the big box grocery works well for us. For example, we buy blueberries for the year at .88 per quart and freeze them