Amount of calories different

Options
You type something in and you get many different amounts of calories for the same thing. I go for the highest but does anyone else see this??

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Are you matching the items to their nutrition labels/the USDA information? The database is largely user-created and prone to erroneous entries.
  • melissastrine11510
    melissastrine11510 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes but for things that don’t have one. For example I got a bagel from the baker counter. It was not packaged?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Yes but for things that don’t have one. For example I got a bagel from the baker counter. It was not packaged?

Different bakeries make their bagels to different sizes and from different recipes, so they'll all be a bit different (and some will be very different! ) If the place has nutrition information available in store or online, I'd use that. But if they're a local mom & pop style bakery, that's not always an option. In that case, the best we can often do is make an educated guess. I like to guess on the higher end, just in case, personally. But some prefer to be more methodical.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    So naturally, the more things you choose to eat like this, the less accurate your log will be. Doesn't mean you can't eat out, but if the math stops working for you, you'll know where to look.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Go for the verified ones, they will be there but sometimes it takes a bit of sifting through.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    verified doesn't mean all that much...there is a verified entry for garlic that has like 3000cal

Not seen that one LOL, I suppose for me I know the calories in absolutely everything (been here too long :smiley: ) so I can tell if a number is right or not but I can see how someone new to this app would have issues.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    verified basically means that enough ppl at one stage clicked the button that said yes this nutrition is correct

a better recommendation is like USDA vegetable name; or similar