I'm starving... Not really, but I'm starving.

Options
Hi!

I kick started this diet again and I have 50 calories left for to go for the day and I am starving. I am really not starving, but I am used to not worrying about my caloric intake. Anyone have a suggestion other than water-logging myself and going to bed?

All suggestions appreciated!

Louie

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    Eat?

Seriously. I hope your calories aren't set any lower than about 1800. How tall are you? How much weight are you trying to lose?

Sometimes people set themselves up for failure by setting too aggressive of a goal. Men should not be eating less than 1500 net, no matter what.

edit to add:

I just looked at your weight loss ticker. You should be at over 2000 calories a day to start with. If you are set with a lower goal, change it.

Your Goal should be "Lose 1/2 pound per week" at your weight - if you truly have 15 lbs to lose. If you have ANY type of job, set your Activity at "Lightly Active" - add back in any exercise you do and you'll be given more to eat. Don't try to beat the system. It won't work.

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    I like to chew gum if I have an insatiable appetite.

Also, maybe the foods you're eating aren't filling you up? We could take a look at your diary, if you want. To make it public, click Food > Settings > Diary Sharing (at the bottom of the page) > Public.

That way, we could give specific suggestions.
  • lenkearney
    lenkearney Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    As I have learned more about food, I know what I can eat that is low calorie - eat a head of lettuce and you will "feel" full and for not a lot of calories.

So cut up a bunch of raw veggies to have available for a grab snack. Use some hummus and hot sauce to spice it up.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    Next time, try to leave 90 cals for yourself. That's only 40 more.

For that 90 cals you can have half a cup of low fat cottage cheese, which is packed with a protein called casein. It got me through the first 2 months of portion control.

You can buy pure casein as a powder as well, and make pudding out of it, or a concoction called protein fluff.

I don't recommend using veggies to feel full except at meal times when you can combine them with fat and protein.
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    I am trying to be aggressive and cut as much weight as I can. I am 5'10.5" and 195 lbs...
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    OK, settings are public now.
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    Cool Len. I don't have any lettuce, but I do have some celery. Thanks!
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    OK P. I am lactose intolerant, but I can do cottage cheese. I'll grab some of that tomorrow.
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    CM, I am trying to lose 30 lbs....
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dude, your calorie goal is way too low and you are consuming way too little protein.

Your body burns in excess of 2200 calories a day when you don't do any exercise at all. With your goal set to 1200 you are running a calorie deficit of 1000 plus whatever exercise you do.

That's bad.

Set your calorie goal to 1750, which is about a 20% deficit. Log exercise and eat back your exercise calories.

And get at least 120 grams of protein every day. More is good.
  • peeaanuut
    peeaanuut Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    i have found the sugar free, fat free jello packs work great for me. 10 calories and usually hit the spot.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    OK P. I am lactose intolerant, but I can do cottage cheese. I'll grab some of that tomorrow.

Hmmm then I would look for a casein powder with little or no lactose content. If you have a mixer you can make the fluff, but otherwise the pudding is super easy and will have the same effect.

Casein takes hours and hours to digest, so it really works.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Dude, your calorie goal is way too low and you are consuming way too little protein.

Your body burns in excess of 2200 calories a day when you don't do any exercise at all. With your goal set to 1200 you are running a calorie deficit of 1000 plus whatever exercise you do.

That's bad.

Set your calorie goal to 1750, which is about a 20% deficit. Log exercise and eat back your exercise calories.

And get at least 120 grams of protein every day. More is good.

^ THIS! You are actually starving yourself OP. Eat more.
  • samuelsson
    samuelsson Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    After checking out your diary, my best suggestion (for the future, sadly, not for today) is to cut out the Sprite or drink a calorie-free Sprite. That's 140 calories you could be putting toward FOOD! Real, good, solid food with protein and/or fat, which keep you full. =) That's 1 scoop of protein powder, for example. If you combine 1 scoop protein powder + 1 cup almond milk + 5 ice cubes + 1/4 t. vanilla extract, you get a delicious, filling, high-protein shake for roughly the same calories as your Sprite.

I echo others when I say your calorie intake is too low for your height and BMR. Up your calories! Do it today! And then have a protein-packed snack. A string cheese is 80 cal. A mini Baby Bel light is 50 cal. Have two. =)
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My goto items that are filling and low in calories are oatmeal and melons. The former being good fiber, the later being sweet, but very cheap calorie wise considering how full it'll make you feel. If you're hungry, eat something. Right now you're at only about 1000 calories towards your 1200 goal (seems low), so there's definitely room there for either a bowl of oatmeal or half a cantaloupe. Since today you're already well over on sugar, if I were in your shoes, I'd opt for the oatmeal right now.
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Oh crap, just looked at your calorie goal.

I agree, too low. You can maybe go as low as 1600 net for the next 10lbs or so but after that you'll need to increase again.

So have a full cup of that cottage cheese!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Why is your goal set at 1,200 calories?
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    OK, Jonny, I'll try that. I have a protein supplement I can try.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    EAT!
  • GonzalesLJ
    Options
    Thanks P.