How accurate was calorie MFP's estimate for you? Was it low or high if inaccurate?

Options
I set mine to 0 and I have a sedentary (office) job. I am 5'8", 59 and weigh 162. It is giving me 1910. I am also starting to log my walking. I walk a lot; averaging near 5000 per day for the year, but over 10000 per day last week as I have been ramping up and we have more daylight. I am only logging about 2/3 of the actual time from my watch (Asian knock off, so I can't connect it automatically) as walking at 3 mph (about right).

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    MFP was lower for me than reality, despite me having a desk job I had to change my level from sedentary to lightly active to come close to the right number for me (lightly active = 1610 cals to maintain, I'm 5ft 2/48yrs/125lbs). I don't even walk that much, but I probably average 6-7k steps. I log other exercise other than walking manually. So my actual TDEE averages 1950-2000 cals.

If you are doing above 5k steps a day it means you are not sedentary but lightly active.
  • ryenday
    ryenday Posts: 1,540 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    I have MFP set to sedentary. (Tho I’m certainly more than mildly active). It’s estimate is about 400 to 500 calories higher than my maintenance calories actually are.

Apple Watch is the same. I use an app that does a weekly calculation of the actual calories Apple Watch determined from my activity and the actual calories logged in MFP. I have to have about a 3000 calorie deficit a week in that program to keep my weight steady - If I don’t keep that ‘deficit’ I gain.

So for me MFP is VERY inaccurate estimate and on the high end. e - but is close to other methods of estimating so the problem appears to be on my end, not MFP’s end.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    7000 steps is about 3.5 miles. For me, that is the little bit of walking around at work (parking lot, bathroom, break room, etc) plus about an hour of 3 mph (which is a decent clip) walking. The reason I am leaning toward logging is that over the weekend my steps were 13000 and 17000, but on some weekdays may only be 4000. Even that requires a dedicated walk. On days I don't take a dedicated walk, I generally get less than 1000 steps. People with real FitBits tell me they get a lot more steps from around the house/office than I do on my knock off.
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have MFP set to lightly active (I'm actually sedentary but too lazy to log my workouts every day so I thought it would balance out) and to lose .5lbs a week which gives me 1800 cals a day. I'm actually losing 1lbs a week so I think MFP is underestimating for me.
  • CarvedTones
    Options
    I am still tracking. I tried to be a natural eater the last time I lost a lot of weight. That didn't work out very well. this time I am more committed to it. I lost down to a lower weight, actually below 25 on the BMI scale (by just a little) and will not allow myself to go over 25. I weigh every other day. I seem to still be trending down slowly now, which makes sense when I look at the numbers. I am okay with that for a little more cushion, but I am making my first attempt at real stabilization.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    The vast majority of MPF's numbers have worked really well for me when I've been disciplined enough to follow them. Clearly there's lots of margin for error with all this, and maybe I error in just such a way that it balances out MFP's error, but regardless, when I do what MFP tells me to do, I generally succeed.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    All calorie calculators (MFP or otherwise) give estimates that are too high for me.

It's a starting point for people who have not calorie counted b4 (or for awhile) but it is "trial and error" and personal experience which is the best guide.

For example, my TDEE is currently estimated at an ave of 2100 on sailrabbit (which uses 6 different algorthims) but I have been maintaining at 156# for the past 2 months on just 1550 net cals/day.

If I ate 2100 net cals daily, I'd gain weight and get fat again very quickly.
  • CarvedTones
    edited March 2018
    Options
    mfp is figuring 1910 for me at sedentary, which my job is. It's an office job and even though I get up and around fairly often, it's maybe a half mile of walking (around 1000 steps; that's what I get on nasty weather days). I like the idea of logging the extra steps since they can vary so widely. But all that assumes the base is right. I was losing at 1700 and averaging 4000 steps without logging the extra 3000 and the rate was more than a half pound a week. I was losing close to a pound a week at 1500 before I starting putting the brakes on, increasing to 1600, then 1700, then only in the last few days I went to 1800 + exercise and now 1910. Scale has been pretty steady except this morning it dropped only 0.2 pounds but to a new low, so I am not sure I have stopped losing yet.
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    When I started I asked my doctor and trainer how many calories to eat for my height/weight etc. Doctor said 2200 and trainer suggested 2800 taking into account how active I am for my workouts and general daily activity level so I fooled with the settings to get it to around 2,500 initially which I felt was a safe compromise. That accurately had me losing around a pound per week. Later on I adjusted it down to 2,150 when I began to mostly eat clean foods and lost about 1.5 pounds per week. The better play long term may be a BMI/Fat/Muscle ration scale to show progress over time while using MFP more as a guide to keep yourself accountable and verify the proper nutrients carbs, fat, protein etc. Technology can really only use an estimate since everyone is different. Here is a good one: My Samsung watch yesterday told me I burned 1,800 calories in a 2 hour Yoga training class. Yeah...sure I did: I sat doing nothing for an hour of it and just listening to instruction.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    All calorie calculators (MFP or otherwise) give estimates that are too high for me.

It's a starting point for people who have not calorie counted b4 (or for awhile) but it is "trial and error" and personal experience which is the best guide.

For example, my TDEE is currently estimated at an ave of 2100 on sailrabbit (which uses 6 different algorthims) but I have been maintaining at 156# for the past 2 months on just 1550 net cals/day.

Sailrabbit's 2100 is gross tdee including activity and exercise.

Net 1550 can easily be 1550, 2000, 2100 or even 3100, depending on activity! Especially if the starting point is net 1550 at sedentary
  • sgt1372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »

Sailrabbit's 2100 is gross tdee including activity and exercise.

Net 1550 can easily be 1550, 2000, 2100 or even 3100, depending on activity! Especially if the starting point is net 1550 at sedentary

I always use the sedentary activity estimate which presumes minimal activity and no additional exercise.

In determining my net cals, I subtract any "extra" exercise cals (w/o regard for normal activity) from my total daily food intake.

I have been doing it this way for over 22 months and the statistical correlation (as measured by Excel) between the variations in my weight and food intake (measured daily) is almost a perfect +1.

Over the past 2 months, I have maintained my weight at 156 +/- 1# eating an ave of 1550 cals/day, usually as a result of eating 2100 cals and burning ( 550 cals a day (only erg rowing).

So, if I didn't exercise at all, my daily intake would equal sailrabbit's 2100 cal estimate and I would gain about 1#/wk.

The fact that I haven't gained any weight at 1550 cals/day is proof that the sailrabbit estimate in my case was just plain wrong.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,649 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Given that we usually both have a fairly good grasp of what's going on, I am uncertain where exactly we're talking past each other.

I hear you say:

MFP BMR x 1.25 MFP activity setting for sedentary + 550 Cal a day rowing exercise = 2100 Cal a day eaten and maintaining at 1550 net.

Simultaneously you're saying:

Sailrabbit BMR x UNSTATED Sailrabbit activity setting = 2100 Cal a day, and if I ate at that I would gain weight.

My answer was that your unstated sairabbit activity setting is at an estimate of about 1.425 in order for you to get 2100 Cal a day, in other words higher than MFP's default sedentary of 1.25 and higher than Sailrabbit's sedentary setting of 1.2

As such it already includes the allowance for your rowing exercise. And you don't get to add the 550 Cal separately. Thus you would eat 2100... and you wouldn't gain weight because that's exactly what you're eating anyway!

What am I missing?!

(Given that MFP uses the Mifflin formula for BMR which is one of the six used by Sailrabbit, the expectation would be that differences will be fairly small if the same activity settings are used, yet you are discussing a 500 Cal difference)
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    edited March 2018
    Options
    My calories were a bit high. I'm tall - 5'11" and was lightly active. I lost faster than anticipated when it was just diet alone and also just cardio. When I added in strength training, burns were harder to calculate and I had more dramatic water weight fluctuations and things slowed down a bit. I think if I had been able to stick to lower calories it would have been easier, but determining my CICO was a little harder and otoh I was okay with taking time at that point.
  • sgt1372
    edited March 2018
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Given that we usually both have a fairly good grasp of what's going on, I am uncertain where exactly we're talking past each other.

<snip>

What am I missing?!

You're missing that the sailrabbit TDEE at 2100 for me presumes NO additional exercise because it is based on a sedentary activity level.

If it were accurate for me, the estimate would be1550 (not 2100) which is what I'd need to eat w/o any additional exercise in order to maintain my current weight, as proven by my food/exercise log for the past 2 months.

If I were to just eat 2100 w/o rowing and burning 550 cals for a net of 1550 daily, I would gain about 1#/wk based on the theory that 1#/wk in weight gain is equal to a surplus of 500 caks/day or 3500 cal/wk.

Can't make it any clearer than that. If you need to discuss it further, feel free to PM me rather than take up space off topic here.

Ciao! :)
  • sorrias123
    sorrias123 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a ketogenic diet so I set my own macros. I figured my macros by using a calculator on www.ruled.me
    I just use MFP to track and be sure I stay under calories, fat, carbs and get enough protein. I log exercise (walking) but I don't eat back those calories. I rarely come within 100-200 calories of my limit b/c I try to keep my fat relatively low...get between 60-80g daily...some days more. I've been doing this for 6 weeks and have lost 17 pounds with only about 1.4 miles per day walking to/from city bus stop.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    5' 7" F. Their calculator is about right, but I did my calculations using the iifym calculator since I don't want to have my food "allotment" go up and down so dramatically (my typical workout burns 400-700 calories, and that's been proven to be pretty accurate over the past couple months). I also have a couple days a week where I'm on my feet all day, doing retail sales or riding at the track, neither of which is sedentary!

I prefer to eat about the same amount every day, so actually use another site to do my actual tracking where I can set my own calorie goals.